any gadners here?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i never realy thought about doing it till i moved and wasnt alowed to have pets i started some chives and basils from seeds was like 10 cents total price also bought 2 jalepno plant babys for like 1 buck actualy dad got them for me .and then bought one haberno plant 4 150 so far i havnet killed them habenro looks rough but japno have a few peppers on em and grown . soon as i get to store ill by em plant food.do they need plant food btw? also are there any other people who grow stuyff here?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
We grow broccoli, chives, peas, & squash in those oak half barrels. We keep them watered, should probably put some Miracle Gro on them - but we haven't. We're getting a few peas, some delicious/sweet broccoli, squash, and chives out of all the barrels.

Our "little above ground garden" is like a pet to us! I wish we could grow good tomatoes and corn here in Alaska! Long days of sunlight great for the plants, but a little cool for tomatoes, corn, and some other veggies. Potatos, carrots, radishes, beets, peas, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, squash ALL do very well here!

I never thought fresh potatos, carrots, & broccoli could taste soooo good!

Though we can grow a "few" apples, I certainly miss the fruit orchards that exist in the Lower 48 States!

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Raggie, I have 1 Habenero plant I bought and put in a pot
Evone (my wife) has a sun/green room where she has alot of plants and I have 3 peppers orange on that plant. I hope to move it indoors in the plant room when it gets cold not any time soon. I am waiting for the peppers to turn red before I pick them.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Sam's club I bought a carton that contained two varieties of blueberry, 1 raspberry and 1 blackberry plant. The blueberries didn't make it, but the raspberries did grow and I got about a small 3 dollar carton's worth from it. Though, right now, the heat is pretty much doing it in. The leaves are getting crispy. I've also got a Qumquot tree that I bought earlier this year, and it's getting flowers all over it. I'm currently trying to get a bunch of Sago pups to start. Also, some people threw out a bunch of Hawaiian Plumerias last year, and I cut it up and planted a bunch of them. I forgot to take them in during the rainy season, though, and so, only 2 have survived. On of them has flowers on it right now.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
We have all kinds of fruit trees and vegetables in the backyard. Apple, Fig, Guava, Lemon, Peach, Plum, Tomato, about 5 or 6 different chiles/peppers, Grape (died), Avocado, and an orange tree. About half of the trees were already planted when we moved in so we just went with it and planted more.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Trashman - I've been told they're hotter when they are green and tend to mellow when red?

Former_Mag - WOW, sounds good!!! What a variety!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wow im glad im not the only one next year ill do bbter i dont like flowers to much i may remove the ones that are in front now and replace with tomatoes anyone know how many more months i can keep my peppers outside here in north ga?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've always got tomatoes and cucumbers going this time of year. If I can keep the deer from nibbbling the plants, I may get a pretty good harvest.

Geoff

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman, I think that may be true, but I didn't mention growing any! I do know they got a lot hotter when you roast 'em, though. (chiles)

Topper

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif The hotter the better.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the Miracle Grow, does it work that well for vegetable plants? My friend put some on his tomato plants. He got great big leafy plants but no tomatoes.

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
We grow broccoli, chives, peas, & squash in those oak half barrels. We keep them watered, should probably put some Miracle Gro on them - but we haven't. We're getting a few peas, some delicious/sweet broccoli, squash, and chives out of all the barrels.

[/ QUOTE ]

greenLED

Flashaholic
well... lemme see... we've been gardening every summer for about 4 years now (and the last 2 winters, actually). Right now we have:

peas, onions (2 kinds), tomatoes (several kinds), potatoes, carrots, beans, broccoli, brussel sprouts, sweet peppers, eggplant, corn, zucchini, watermelon (not doing so good...), lettuce, dill, sunflowers. We've also done garlic, chives, garlic, and some other stuff at some point or another.

Lettuce is really easy to grow. Keep the zucchini well watered. Onions are great! Carrots and radishes are also very easy to maintain.

I love the summer!!!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
greenLED - now that's sounding like a GREAT garden!

...nothning like biting into one of those big juicy green tomato worms! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif