More replacement truck talk....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
On a humorous note, Boss knows a company that could lengthen a short bed truck to carry my long bed Utility Body. And that truck would be his '99 F250 Gasser with 240K miles. Ha Ha!

On a less humorous note, I changed oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter in the Beast. The fuel and air filters were GROSS! But it doesn't seem to run any better or make any more power. It's tired!

On a somewhat serious note, it was said that we will be looking in the next several days. It's looking like a somewhat newer truck than I was thinking, so we can get financing easy enough.

F250 or D2500 Diesel, here I come!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
ENOUGH TALK!

newtruck1.jpg

newtruck2.jpg

newtruck3.jpg

Stabilized on the highway on level road in cruise control, reseting the avg. mileage and letting it settle down got me 20.5 (with no toolboxes or liftgate yet) No a rattle or squeak from the interior! This baby rocks!

2003 Ram 2500 SLT. Burgandy with gray interior Cummins, auto and power everything. 24,9xx miles.

My utility body isn't going on it. Truck is too nice. Gonna get deep cross bed and side boxes, and an almost new Tommy Lift. I'm gonna miss the Knapheide body a lot! But I gotta move on.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice truck!!! Bye the way what do you use the Flexible Flyer sled that is leaned up against the garage for. I believe you are down south?

cy

Flashaholic
beautiful truck!!! what a nice package with cummins diesel!!

please let us know what your fuel milage is like.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a truck, but insurance in california for my age with a 4x4 full size truck would cost me like 2500 to start for the skeleton package...Envy you guys big time.

Oh yeah the 2.80 a gallon of gas ain't helping either.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
70 on cruise on flat terrain shows 20.5

70-75 with some 1200lbs in the bed and a 3000+lb trailer brought the avg. down to 16.9 (was as low as 16.2 in the hills)

It wasn't full when I got it. Over 3/4 tank but not full.
I didn't reset the trip odo when I got it. I figure it out some 60-70 miles later. With 380 on the odo, it flashed the low fuel light at me.

I'll start keeping the book on it when I fill it Monday. I'll be towing a 350 gallon double axle tank trailer (approx. 5140lbs) and have a 55 gallon drum and 500 gallon plastic tank in the back. And will drive from Shepherd, TX to Corpus Christi, TX on Tuesday. Mileage may not be great this coming week!

But aside from using more fuel, the truck could have cared less about the load from Tyler! Turbo Diesels are COOL!

Oh, the liftgate got installed today. It helped immensely with the ride. The rear end stays planted better.

I had to drive the Beast today. It isn't so striking to go from old to new. But man it is a SHOCK to go back!

It will be at least a week and probably two before I get it fitted out for road repair work! Hope the Beast hangs on!

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those 2500/3500s ride like a tank when they are not loaded. My friends 2004 Silverado 3500 Crew cab long bed 4x4 w/ 8.1L V8 (496ci?) feels like riding in a jackhammer on the freeway.

BTW Playboy, how's all that torque feel going up the hills?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i like that truck joe very cool.i like trucks always have ya can haul a lot a stuff .my dad has a mazda pickup he got it for a very good deal years ago it is still worth more then he payed for it.runs very good was made from frod for mazda

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

A 500-600 pound Tommy Lift hanging right off the back is what your average 2500/3500 needs! It was night and day down the dirt portion of the raod to home!

We're gonna talk to the Snap On man on monday about toolboxes. I'm either going to build or buy a headache rack (as it really helps with tieing down loads).

Coming from you Raggie it means so much!!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Truck Talk.... about my \"new\" Dodge!

Trial run today with a loaded soap tank (right at 5140lbs) at 70 in cruise on flat highway showed right around 14 flat. Empty tank (2K) showed about 15 flat.

Aero and rolling resistance are still a lot empty!

To boot I'll have a full 55 gallon drum and a 500 gallon plastic tank in the back going, a different shaped leaking 500 gallon plastic tank on the return.

Gonna be a looooong ride. But the seat in the Dodge is comfy, the ride is good, the silence is golden! And I'm taking Time Warp, Star Tracks I and II (all Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra) and some other CDs to pass the miles!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Truck Talk.... about my \"new\" Dodge\'s mileage!

This just in! Pulling 5140lbs, with approx 450lbs of drum and 200lbs of plastic tank in the back. Doing 75-80 when proper, on mostly flat terrain, with approx 1/3 of the return trip at 2000lbs pull, and approx 300lbs tank in the bed, doing the same sort of speeds....

15.39!

Should be a MUCH better mileage figure this next fill!

Snap On doesn't do those Tollboxes anymore. So I have a Tractor Supply 5 star cross bed, one of two 3 star side boxes, and a Rawson HD Headache rack to install tomorrow.

Then begins an arduous task of getting all my stuff settled into this truck!!!

cy

Flashaholic

15mpg sounds great! especially hauling all that weight

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

I came here to help peel me away from modding my Chevy Avalanche, thought Picking up a flash light here and there would save me some money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif.
Thats a great truck! Looking forward to seeing the boxes installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

The Burner side of the Knapheide took up almost the entire Crossbed. This means tools are absolutely going to end up inside in the back seat area.

Pump stuff is going to get the drivers side. Hose, trigger guns, wands etc. the passenger side.

Not having all those doors and shelves may kill me!

I wanted black diamond aluminum boxes. Alas I a got shiny aluminum. It looks pretty darn good anyhow! I'll go see if I can get a decent pic.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

You drive that dirty thing in public??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Looks great! A mobile tool box.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

The other side box should be in tomorrow.

But I'll be in Houston doing drudge work. I see a stop at a car wash on the agenda. It really is dirty. My old 1.3mp Sony cam doesn't take good pics.

Thanks though!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Ahhh... second official fill up. Disclaimer: I haven't gone very far without something hanging on to my trailer hitch. A lot of this tank was spent pulling a car hauling trailer.

Mileage this time 17.39.

Today I drug my fairly heavy self built utility traier to the tune of 253 miles. But the average readout has been staying 17+ most of the day.

May never make the twentys, but doing quite a bit better than the poor old Ford!