Brinkman Maxfire LX is great.

andytheboa

Newly Enlightened
it is my first c123 flash light and the britest light I own (my other 3 are M@G'S) and was 16.00$.
did I do good?

Christoefor

Newly Enlightened
Yes you did very good you must have bought it at Targe# for 16.00 be sure to try the surefire p60 lamp it rocks and is a drop in.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Andy! In case nobody's welcomed you to CPF, welcome! Stay awhile and enjoy the light!

I'm not sure how bright the maxfire lx is, but the p60 is pretty bright. It puts out 60 lumens. According to flashlightreviews.com the p60 should be brighter! Do yourself a favour and get some good CR123s - I would suggest going to www.surefire.com and grabbing their batteries for 1.25 each! You can grab the p60 while you're there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif After a while you'll find yourself used to 60 lumens and want more, and then more and more and so! Or so it was with me at least!

Here's a review of your light by CPFer Quickbeam:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/brinkmann_maxfirelx.htm

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you try modding your maglites while you're at it:) There are a number of 'drop in' (just put them straight into your light) modules you can get, and boy they make a difference! You could even try your hand at a hotwire mod...

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
My LX was my first "high tech" light. I bought it about two years ago when it first came out, and saw that for about $20, I could get a Xenon bulb with CR123 Lithium batteries. I recognized this as the basic plan for success (aside from their other QC and engineering excellence) of SureFire products, but at a fraction of the price, and gave it a try.

I was not disappointed.

My wife has seen the little silver flashlight kicking about, as it's my usual nightstand light, and I also use it around the house during daylight hours whenever I need throw into a tight space when working around the house.

Just a few weeks ago, around 3 am, after our twins had just gone back to sleep after a bad bout of teething, my wife wanted to read to wind down for a bit, but keep the lights off, lest the little ones see the glow down the hall and wake back up. Her book light was dead, so she asked for my flashlight.

I said, "It only runs for an hour or two, and takes special batteries that cost a couple of bucks each. (Why mention $1.25 123's online when negotiating for "hubby money"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) If you run them down, I don't want to hear any complaining when I buy some the next time we're at the store."

My wife accused me of being snippy, and just told me to give the LX over. She hunkered down with her romance novel, and muttered to herself while twisting the head like it was a M@g, and trying to turn it on. I helpfully pointed out the tailcap clickie, and rolled over in our pitch black bedroom to cover my eyes…

BLINK! "HOLY $#@* that's bright!" She'd never seen it before in the dark.

"I told you, it uses special batteries." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andytheboa

Newly Enlightened
I all ready ordered a 12 count box from surefire, but need to save up for the p60 lamp. thank for all the info.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Christoefor said:
Yes you did very good you must have bought it at Targe# for 16.00 be sure to try the surefire p60 lamp it rocks and is a drop in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the light need to be moded in any way?

Santelmo

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

How's that for affirmation?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
On the other hand, Brinkmann Maxfire rechargeable is NOT great. 10 hour charge in a STUPID EXTERNAL slow charger gets MAYBE 20 minute run. Pitiful!

I wonder if some mod such as Pila(s) and SF lamp assembly would work? CR123A fit, and three are just a bit short. 2x123 + 1AA fit almost perfectly. 4 x 123 are too long.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Maxfire rechargeable. I don't use it very long each time and when it needs charged, I charge it over night. It works for my needs. I rarely need the light that the Maxfire puts out. I always have my Nuwai .5w 2xAAA as back up, so I'm never without light. The Maxfire's size is just right for carrying in side leg pocket of my carpenter's pants. The rubber cover keeps it from sliding out of the pocket when I don't want it to. Extra NiMh battery packs can be purchased on line for about $11 and can be charged in the stock Maxfire charger, even though the stock battery pack is NiCd. I'd like to have an LED light with similar output color, quantity and beam shape, but I don't think that such a light exists.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those that may not be aware, Target is now stocking the Maxfire LX that comes with a holster! I always thought that the only drawback to the Maxfire LX was that it was a real PITA to find a holster that fits it...problem now solved at Target!

PJD

wwglen

Enlightened
Except the MaxFire holster at Target doesn't really fit it very good. Head is too big.

wwglen