plastic dashboard of car creaking ?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know of liquid spray that would keep the plastic on my car dashboard from cracking in the hot sun? I have old honda accord 93 4door. The old plastic create squeaking noise when I turn the steering wheel. I check with the local mechanic; and he told me that old plastic is cracking hence causing that squeaking sound.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.autopia.org Thats where I learned all my car cleaning skills and techniques.

Does a person really need 10 different types of waxes, 12 different types of paint polishes, 3 kinds of glass cleaner, boxes of towels and applicator pads all labeled for different uses (drying the car, cleaning glass, interior towels, cheap terry towels, and such....)

But in short, stay away from Armor All. To my knowledge they still use solvents to make the Dimethel silicone (sp? I know of it as DMS.) Then you got the good silicone which is Poly-deimethel silicone (PDMS.)

To see if it is DMS or PDMS, look at the liquid. If it looks like watery milk its PDMS, if it is clear and really greasy/slippery its DMS.

I personally prefer Vinylex made by Lexol or Black Magic's Semi-gloss interior protectant in citrus scent (comes in a black bottle and is milky in color, I know the other Black Magic stuff is shiny.) If you can find it, Meguiar's #40 Vinyl and Rubber has some good feedback from my friends ( www.carcareonline.com ) If the dash is dirty, try a woolite mixture 1:6 parts of ater to clean or Meguiar's #39 vinyl and rubber cleaner, then follow up with a light coat of the protectant of your choice.

Jason

EDIT:

Here is the inside of my car. I use Zaino in the interior ( www.zainostore.com ) Z-9/Z-10 on the leather and dash/doors, and Z-16 plastic protector on the plastic parts (mainly the lower parts of the inside, like the door step, but nonthing on the pedals, safety hazard.)

12wheelwell.jpg

12console.jpg

As you can see, I hate shiny dashboards, makes it really bad to drive when the sunsets and all that glare.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drive an old 88 grand am with a modified w41 ho quad four(fast) - never garaged - no cracks in any of it's plastic interior parts.

headliner is a different story.

even the ac is ice cold - the ac has never been worked on.

Darell

Flashaholic
Oh man. Stop right where you are! Do NOT buy anything else. The answer is here: 303

I buy it here.

Use it on everything from plastic, to leather to rubber and especially EPDM (weatherstripping). In my less than humble opinion, there is NOTHING better in this category. I use it to protect all my water gear as well (PFD, insulating rash guards, neoprene goodies). The fabric that sits out on my bikes gets an annual bath. I swear by this stuff, and no, don't work for them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Oh man. Stop right where you are! Do NOT buy anything else. The answer is here: 303

I buy it here.

Use it on everything from plastic, to leather to rubber and especially EPDM (weatherstripping). In my less than humble opinion, there is NOTHING better in this category. I use it to protect all my water gear as well (PFD, insulating rash guards, neoprene goodies). The fabric that sits out on my bikes gets an annual bath. I swear by this stuff, and no, don't work for them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hey darell, does the 303 keep the plastic soft prevent cracking under the sun heat? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Latest posts