cheers n jeers?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone look at the above cpf forums lately? Is it just me or are most cheering virtually any transaction that they are successfully involved in? It seems to me that this forum used to be for above and beyond comments both positive and negative. Am I just up too late and getting cranky?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Yes, Yes, Yes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'd agree that a normal transaction shouldn't be cheered. However normal is in the eye of the beholder. Some people expect a package in 2-3 days, others a week. I guess if the Cheerer feels the transaction was exceptional it is their choice. Maybe this thread will get a response and guidelines from 'management'. Is this good? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've been involved in...oh let's just day "quite a few" transactions in my short time here. Any problems that I did have were typically "communication related" or the Post Office's fault (and really we are only talking a couple).

As far as I'm concerned, EVERYONE here that I've dealt with deserves to "take themselves out for a meal and pat yourself on the back" (your own wallet of course! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)!!

I've not posted much at all in the C~n~J Forum as it looked to me that folks were "cheering here, there, and everywhere" a long time ago.

Can't say I don't check it as far as moderating and to "get the pulse" of the members though.

But yes, in a nutshell I agree with you - that folks just like to cheer everything (well there have been some "noteworthy" posts - especially those about me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
So things are cheerful here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
I think it's great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
This is another reason I visit this forum more than any other including my own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Oh,
Cheers to Sigman!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
cheers have a place as do jeers. People will judge them accordingly and excessive amounts of either will most likely be overlooked if they are considered more in the range of trivial IMO. It is a good way for some people to show their appreciation in public which IMO a LOT of people (including friends and relatives) do not even do at all.

The few cheers I have got kind of make me feel odd because for the most part a lot of people around me do not give me praise when I go out of my way for them, some don't even say a simple thanks and when they Jeer me it is irritating and can even lead to resentment and bitterness so I say...
CHEER ON!. people need cheers to make up for all the jerks JEERING in their personal life, even a tiny cheer lends a smile from ear to ear.

If people cannot afford to pay for your labor, a good word and a cheer can be a very good substitute.

LowWorm

Enlightened
If Cheers and Jeers is supposed to be a feedback forum of sorts, then "cheering" every good transaction is as apporpriate as "jeering" any bad transaction.

I personally think the Feedback forum on Head-fi.org is a great way to do it...there is only one feedback thread for each person consisting of multiple posts either cheering or jeering that person's transactions...makes it a whole lot easier to get an accurate and complete feel for that person's purchasing/selling history.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CNJ section gives a great overview of the daily commerce taking place on the forum, it has shown me in a glance who is selling what and what the masses of people feel about the transaction.
I find that to be one of the first areas I read when I get to CPF, it gives a good indication of what is transpiring elsewhere on the forum. I agree that throwing out a cheers for something as simple as a purchase can be redundant, but if that information gathers enough momentum it helps to build a persons reputation, and provides an outlook for the newbies scanning the boards for their first (and never last) purchase.
I for example only visited this forum to find a deal and save a few bucks, it didn't exacly work like that though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif.. I did get the deal I was looking for, then found ten other lights I couldn't live without. Even now prior to making a purchase I scan the CNJ, it's like word of mouth advertising in a mute world.