UltraStinger or a 2D mag mod?

Oz909

Newly Enlightened
I wrote up something long but i decided to give you a short version. basically i want something so bright it will fry someones brain 100 yards away. well something like that.
i currently have a Mag 2D...should i:

A: go for the UltraStinger?
B: do some hopefully simple Mag 2D mod?
C: if Mag 2D mod....incan or LED?

my g/f is going nuts over her lost cat, and the Mag2D aint cuttin it for the search. theres lots of fields, bushes, etc around here, kinda countryish, old vehicles, barns etc.

runtime would be nice, but i would sacrifice it if it made that much difference in light output.

all this candlepower, lux, lumens, mcd, candela, etc etc etc...was getting confusing as hell so i thought i'd just ask.

anyways let me know what u think
TIA

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
get the SL and here is why:

the mag mod will most likely use rechargable AA in adaptors, huge hassle to take out the batts and out of the adaptors eac htime you want to charge. In this case the SL can be charged easier, less wear and tear than that on the tailcap and adaptors in the Mag.

The Ultra stinger from what I have heard has a ver ytight beam, and after 5 2-D mag variations)GH24, 1274, 1111, 1160, and 6-D xenon bulb) I realized that there is a limitation to the 2-D platform, oh yeah, at 100 yards that LED's will be useless, even if you can focus it to throw that far the thin beam would be, well, useless.

But why SL only? I would take a Magcharger or a Tigerlight anyday...Better build construction and excellent output on both...

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
OZ,
The Ultrastinger is very bright but the run-time is about 45-60 minutes at best. Check out the "dealer" Elektrolumens section on CPF or see here for a better option:
http://elektrolumens.com/Quad/QuadStar.html
I have 2 elektrolumens lights. They are blindingly bright for several hours then dim gradually so you are not left in the dark.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
john2551 said:
OZ,
The Ultrastinger is very bright but the run-time is about 45-60 minutes at best. Check out the "dealer" Elektrolumens section on CPF or see here for a better option:
http://elektrolumens.com/Quad/QuadStar.html
I have 2 elektrolumens lights. They are blindingly bright for several hours then dim gradually so you are not left in the dark.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2-D mods almost all run under 30 miuntes anyway.

I don't think any LED can "blind" people at 100 yards away. By comparison, the Magcharger runs for ~2 hours, and much more useful at a longer distance.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does size matter? I would not recommend a 2D, it can only do so much (and costs a pretty penny), a Tigerlight is my longest reaching light (laser like quality), while my M6 is best medium/short range work.

If you need that type of distance, I think its time for one of those Thor spotlights, huge, fairly inexpensive, and bright.

litho123

Enlightened
I disagree. I think the modded Mag would be the way to go.

There are various bulbs for modded Mags that give you longer runtimes with a tradeoff of less insane brightness.

6.00 - A couple of 3AA-D holders
15.00 - 6 Ray-O-Vac I-C3 15-minute 2000 mah nimh batts
20.00 - a 4-position ROV I-C3 15-minute charger
9.50 - A Carley 1057 potted bulb - 6.0v 2.00a 12watts
and a few bucks for shipping...

This will fit the bill... putting out around 450 bulb lumens

almost an hour of runtime...
a nice fat hotspot...
can be run without replacing the lens and reflector.

and its cheap!

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I think that by the time you build a MagMod the cat will be long gone. Go get ye a Thor from ****s or GanderMountain or stick with the UltraStinger and find that cat!

Oz909

Newly Enlightened
ok lemme rephrase everything, i think i overdid it with the 100 yards thing, i was using a 10mill CP spotlight and it was too heavy to lug around in the uneven field plus the chance of getting the cops called on me for shining the light in a neighbors window half a block or more away, which is almost unavoidable with that big of a beam.

more accurately i would be looking about anywhere from 10 feet to prolly a couple hundred feet or less....and light up eyes possibly further. my mag will even light up cat eyes really good down the street, dunno about in a field/obstructions etc or further.

i'm pretty sure the ultrastinger is good enough for what i need, i just wanted to see if any of the mag mods were more efficient/cheaper....maybe even lighter.

im looking for prolly around 50,000+ CP.

on a side note i saw one that was like 7 hours of good output and it slided off around the 8th hour sharply...dont remember what its called but i liked it, don't remember the output either. all these choices are confusing.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
matthewdanger said:
I think that by the time you build a MagMod the cat will be long gone. Go get ye a Thor from ****s or GanderMountain or stick with the UltraStinger and find that cat!

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just order part number #1243893, Cat, Field Replacement Unit (FRU spare), [insert color here] from any pet shop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

matthewdanger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Or just order part number #1243893, Cat, Field Replacement Unit (FRU spare), [insert color here] from any pet shop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Or better still: order part number #1243894, Dog, Cat Upgrade Unit...

oklalawman

Enlightened
I like a lot of throw. If you want one that has a tight, extrmely bright and a lot of range I would get a stinger hp
and then get one of five megas adapters for the 3 16850. It simpl ROCKS. I dont know what candlepower ratings would be
but both the stock tigerlight and magcharger (rated in the 40-50000 candlepower range) are not in the same league..

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Stinger HP's I've seen don't have the total output of either the MagCharger or the Tigerlight, so I'm a little confused by oklalawman's statement.

Streamlight claims the same output, (around 40,000) for both the HP and HP XT, and both use a 6 watt bulb. Does fivemegas upgrade change the battery and bulb?

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Oz909 said:
I wrote up something long but i decided to give you a short version. basically i want something so bright it will fry someones brain 100 yards away. well something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

*looks at bwaites*

*thinks of USL*

*thinks of 2D Mag*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You'll never look at a 2D the same way again after the USL..

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a large continuum of flashlights between a 2D Mag and the brightest of the bright. (I noticed that some people suggested the Tigerlight or the Mag Charger.) The Princeton Tec Surge is a good flashlight to try. It's inexpensive and has a very useful beam in terms of output, breadth, and throw. It's the only alkaline-powered incandescent that I've been impressed by.

There are also some Luxeon flashlights with good output and throw (the 2D Mag is not hard to beat), but I would recommend something like the Surge as a simple starting point until you get a better idea of what kind of output and throw you actually need.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want tight throw and not much else, several of the Pelican lights are pretty good and are cheaper than any of the Streamlights. The incans I mean. For example, the Super Sabrelite throws super tight but without the horsepower of even a stock MagCharger or TigerLight.

The Ultrastinger is a nice light with a good beam but it and the Stinger variants are also a bit underpowered. It does throw well though.

I think your requirements need to be prioritized to help us give you a solid recommendation. However, if you're willing to drop money on an UltraStinger, you can save a few bucks and get the focusable MagCharger that will be more useful up close.

Wilkey

wtraymond

Enlightened
Paul, that was very funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

I think you could find that cat with a MiniMag and fresh AAs. If you are anywhere near him and looking in the right direction you'll see his eyes reflecting back at you.

Matt's right about the cat being long gone by the time you order parts and mod something yourself. That's if it's not long gone already. But, I'm gonna recommend that you build the M@g mod anyway because there is no greater satisfaction than creating something yourself.

Order a 1000ma VIP driver from George, an O-sink and UCL from FlashlightLens.com, and an emitter of your choice from PhotonFanatic (Fred) for that 2D Mag and build away. F**k the cat.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
The Stinger HP's I've seen don't have the total output of either the MagCharger or the Tigerlight, so I'm a little confused by oklalawman's statement.

Streamlight claims the same output, (around 40,000) for both the HP and HP XT, and both use a 6 watt bulb. Does fivemegas upgrade change the battery and bulb?

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you find Fivemega's upgrade kit. As you can see it is much brighter than standard HP. It is amongst the brightest mods with the 1318 bulb, and has very good runtime as well.

Sigbjoern