Still On-Track for August 05th ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure hope so. We have an all new production process. We just are not getting enough units through production yet. If we do open, it will be for back orders only, shipping expected in september and no paypal for now. We will also be increasing some of the international shipping zone costs (we got our bill from Fedex and we didn't charge enough for some countries). Australia is a big one.

The reason for no paypal is we don't like accepting funds until we ship the product. We will accept visa/mastercard at first. Compare this to when we first opened and we were only accepting paypal because the CC's wheren't hooked up yet.

The truth is, we are not up to full speed yet with this new production line. We have shipped more than I expected, but it just isn't enough yet.

Peter

kennyj

Enlightened
If the credit transaction is delayed like that, will we at least get a week's notice to ensure that those of us with smaller bank accounts can make damn sure that the money's there? Otherwise, is there a way you can make exceptions on request to allow for payment up-front? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I would of course do so with the knowledge that I'd have to wait up to or near 2 months before getting anything, but it'd be worthwhile knowing that all is taken care of already.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are killing me in quest to get a new Arc AAA! At first you did not accept credit cards and I missed out as it took three or four days for funds to transfer from my bank account to paypal. I know, shame on me for not having enough in there in the first place. Now I have the paypal funds in place waiting to place an order, you're saying you no longer accept paypal.

Do you have a date in mind when you think you'll be able to have sufficient stock on hand to immediately fill new orders?

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
I sure hope so. We have an all new production process. We just are not getting enough units through production yet. If we do open, it will be for back orders only, shipping expected in september and no paypal for now. We will also be increasing some of the international shipping zone costs (we got our bill from Fedex and we didn't charge enough for some countries). Australia is a big one.

The reason for no paypal is we don't like accepting funds until we ship the product. We will accept visa/mastercard at first. Compare this to when we first opened and we were only accepting paypal because the CC's wheren't hooked up yet.

The truth is, we are not up to full speed yet with this new production line. We have shipped more than I expected, but it just isn't enough yet.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Waaahh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif

So much for having these to give to the guys when we go to Space Camp over Labor Day weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

I'll be anxiously awaiting the near-immediate fulfillment of orders (or at least the opportunity to order). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

Anyway, I'll keep my eye on the forum and my credit card at the ready. Maybe I'll get lucky and Peter will let me drive over and pick up my order, to expedite the shipping. (It seems kind of silly to pay for FedEx to take a package across town, but it DOES simplify the process immensely.)

kennyj

Enlightened
Waiting anxiously for the stampede to start. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now to decide if I want to order just one, or two...

goldenlight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kennyj said:
Waiting anxiously for the stampede to start. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now to decide if I want to order just one, or two...

[/ QUOTE ]

.....or three! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the delay. We have a little bit of drama...

I debated how much detail to provide you here. In the past, I would explain every little hiccup, etc, but that would allow to much room for fretting and speculation. The reverse is to say very little ("we are not accepting order now") and leave you to fretting and speculation anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So, here's what I hope is a happy medium:

We still haven't shipped all the back orders we currently have. Merri expects all paypals to be completed by next week barring any other yield issues. The decision we have to make today is if we should accept even more back orders. I would like to and I would not like to. Do because I said I would on our website for the past couple of weeks. Not, because we don't have the stock I would like yet. If we did, we would certainly NOT accept any more paypals for the time being. This way all back orders we did acccept would be no charge until shipping. If the customer decided they couldn't wait any longer, they could cancel and there would be no fees associated. Also, the delivery date for the new orders would be pushed way back to something we think we can handle worse case (like the end of Sep).

The reason for the drastic change in our expected delivery dates are two fold: our last product run which was supposed to yield what I thought was a large number of flashlights totally bombed. Wholesale slaughter. We use several full size CNC machines to make our product in house but they are not producing enough to match demand. So, we used an external machine shop to provide what we thought would be enough to catch us up for several months. For some reason, the externally provided parts when anodized came out two-toned. They look really bad and can't be fixed since the problem is with the alloy. I can't sell those of course. Don't ask. When we ordered the product, we specified the correct alloy. The supplier issued certifications that matched our request. But the anodize tells a different story. We have hired a lab to test the stock to see if the mill sent the wrong alloy. This is very rare but I have seen it happen once before. Sure, we can get our money back, etc but at far as our customers are concerned, this is all spilt milk. We have the next batch of parts we are making on our own machines coming but they won't be ready until the end of the month.

One other thing, I updated our shipping software on the website. Like I said, we were undercharging for shipping. We looked at various solutions. I decided to just pass the rates we are charged straight to you. For most people, the shipping cost will be higher than before. I setup a quote API on the website. When you place your order, it will calculate what options and rates are available for your area. I have tested it and quick and easy to use. It quotes the fedex rate and includes our discount in the quote. You select the best option and that is how we ship it. As with before, the handling and packaging costs are built into the price of the item. The price for each flashlight is unchanged. Please don't ask me about USPS or other ship options right now unless you want to see my brain explode. Read my previous posts on the subject.

I should have a decision on the new orders by the end of today.

Peter

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update. I have (2) suggestions which I hope you take to heart.

1. If you're making these lights yourself, with your own machinery, NEVER (and I mean NEVER) out-source to another machine shop to catch-up. All you're going to get (I'll remind you of previous times you've done this with adding multiple shops to the process) is a piece of sh**, subject to severe ano-mismatch and huge mistakes which cost you time and money. DON'T DO IT. If it means you're delayed further, than so be it.

2. DO NOT open additional orders until you have stock on hand and I'm not talking about 25-units either. Consider how many you think you'll sell, have double that amount of stock, then open the store.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kennyj said:
... Now to decide if I want to order just one, or two...

[/ QUOTE ]

Kenny, I think you should only order just one so that others have a chance to get one. No use just hoarding them. I just sold my extra on BST and made a fellow flashoholic very happy. Eventually I'll get an extra in the retail package when all the comotion has died down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>I can't sell those of course. Don't ask.

Peter:

At the risk of ticking you off and sounding stupid:

Why not?

I'll take a couple, at a reduced rate, that are two-toned. I could care less about the exterior color of the Arc-AAA, just that the internals work fine. I'm sure you'd find some other CPF memebers that would take them as well. And this would be a way to turn a loss into a positive thing.

(Just make the internals Premium's and were all set.)

On the other hand if you're asking if you should open up orders again? I'd say no. Given the trouble you have had holding orders and might have in the future? Catch up, then take the orders.

My two cents..

kennyj

Enlightened
I'm going to have to agree on the thing about selling cosmetically defective but otherwise functional Arc AAAs, if that's even possible or viable. Take the name off and call it a generic CPF special, at the very least they'd make excellent gifts for the undiscriminating users that suffer with mag solitaires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If not, oh well. I really did have to ask.

cave dave: I was actually going to give #2 away to a friend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a decision with the new company to not sell seconds (product that doesn't meet our QC standard). Eliminating that option has helped us to put even more effort into producing better product the first time. That is my decision.

The 2-tone anodize is more than what we have seen in the past. It is normal for the anodize to have slightly different shades. But this is such a big difference and the lighter shade anodize is just way to thin. I made a judgement call.

On the subject of taking new orders today, we will not open the site yet. This is because of the problem with the lastest batch. In spite of my efforts to avoid this type of problem, here it is and we must deal with it.

I am sorry. We will open the site when we have filled all back orders and have sufficient units in stock to take new orders. I do not have any estimates that I am willing to make at this time on when we will accept new orders.

Please do not send paypals, money orders, checks, etc. In the past, we have felt obligated to fill those orders first because we had already received the funds. To discourage that from happening, we are now going to hold paypals, money orders, cash, etc that is sent between now and when the site opens. Those orders will then be put at the bottom of the stack. I am looking for a way to turn off paypal for the time being (anyone know how to do this?).

Again, I am sorry for the delays. I really did work hard to not let this happen. I know that is hard to believe when I still am not accepting new orders.

True, the number of orders we have received is more than what I projected. But the real problem was we made less units than we needed to as a result of the problems. It is normal for problems to occur with a new process but some were avoided by the simple fact I have done this before. Even so, stuff happens. Some people would think the number of orders we have received must be this huge amount. It isn't really. We will still need to add more products to the line to build the company to even a small size.

Peter

Ninja

Newly Enlightened
I saw the 19th August posted on your website... I plan to order 2 AAA - P version 4's ASAP !

Thanks for the effort & take it slow 8>)

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ninja, I think you misunderstood. The 19th is for existing back orders! We are not accepting new orders at all. And there is no date given for when we will acccept new orders.

Sorry if you already understood this and you meant something else.

We have been shipping a small number of units each week as we are able. Some when out this week, more will go out next week. These are all for back orders only. The limiting factor is how quickly we can get machined parts for each week.

Again, I am sorry guys. This is not the kind of post I like to make.

Peter

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any way to buy just a body? I know a few people who have had batteries leak in their Arc AAA and can't all the junk out of the bottom. They have asked me if they can just buy the battery tube. So if you have any rejects were the head doesn't work but the body is fine, let me know if you can sell the body.

That goes for anyone else out there. Didn't Peter sell some of these in an auction a while back? Are there anymore Arc AAA bodies floating around?

nightshade

Enlightened
I can fully understand no more seconds. I can wait. Speaking for myself, the product is worth it. Thanks for the update. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sean, if someone needs a new body because their battery leaked, why sell it when we gladly give it? ie, we will cover that under our service. Those people should send me an email.

Other than that, we have no plans to sell them seperately.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.