I spoke to a WSJ reporter about our hobby . . .

avusblue

Enlightened
I received an email from out of the blue from a guy named Reed Albergotti from the Wall Street Journal. He said he was writing a story on Tactical Flashlights and would I be willing to be interviewed? When we connected we spoke for about 10 to 15 minutes. Very nice guy. He is preparing an article about high-end / high powered flashlights for publication in their "Weekend Journal" section, probably in September / October timeframe. He was mostly interested in things like why I enjoy and collect lights, how I use them, how many I own, how much I spend, etc. He asked what was the most powerful flashlight I owned (SureFire M6 which I tried and subsequently resold) and was especially interested if I had heard of the SureFire "Beast" HID light and what I would do with it if I had one. (I said I had seen it online and that I'd enjoy the "wow" factor, and would love to shine it on distant things and impressing my friends, but probably wouldn't find it practical.) I mentioned how part of the hobby is the buying and selling, trying lots of new things, finding your favorites, and moving on from others. I explained how LED technology has advanced and how a little cottage industry of leaders is evolving. He was curious if I'd ever been in a dangerous situation where a tactical light saved me or averted a crisis. I responded that fortunately, no, but I am darned well prepared in case and that you never know!! He seemed pretty familiar with the jargon of our hobby (when I mentioned HDS as a prominent innovator he asked "oh, is that a keychain light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif"). I talked up HDS Systems and described how their EDC light is pocket-small and computer controlled to be a real "do it all" light -- tactically powerful when needed, but selectably lower output for 95% of everyday use. He was aware of the LED evolution and seemed interested, but like I said I think he is focusing on the big monsters for his article. So who knows. Anyway, he was a nice guy and seemed genuinely interested in learning about the hobby.

He said he found and browsed CPF, picked my profile at random (and because I had my email listed) and that he sent out several emails to members asking for interviews. Did any of you guys get messages from him?

I am a WSJ subscriber so I'll keep my eyes open for a possible article a ways down the road . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I spoke to a WSJ reporter about our hobby . .

I've been wondering how long it would be before the WSJ took a look at the flashlight cottage industry - though it looks like the focus of Mr. Albergotti might be a bit different. It will make an interesting read when it does come out. Hopefully more accurate than the typical newspaper story, and knowing the WSJ that should be the case.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the post. WSJ is generally top-notch in their reporting, And I look forward to the story.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Good for you, Dave! It sounds like you gave him a well-balanced picture of our obsess...er, hobby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'll look forward to seeing your comments in print!

I received a PM from him also, but I wrote back that I'm not an expert on tactical lights; my primary focus is on LED technology (for illumination as well as display applications). I've got a general idea of the features that are necessary for something to be reliable in a tactical situation, but that's about it.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Oh, we'd certainly be interested in reading his article - keep yours open for it!

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

i also received a email from this fellow, but did not respond since he stated he was interested in the tactical aspect. I'm more in it for the invention, electronics, and science.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got that email too, but didn't feel like I knew enough about the tactical aspect of it to represent the community as a whole, so I gave him Paul Kim's name to ask about from Surefire...

dim

Enlightened

Often, the uninitiated and uninformed don't even know what to ask. Questions such as "What is the most, furthest, strongest, biggest, brightest, best?" type of questions are asked. Where as those involved in any hobby or activity, let alone flashaholism, know that such a perspective is a mere fraction of the whole story. In addition to professional reasons for LEOs, SARs and others, all flashaholics get and stay involved for safety, security, convenience and, simply, just for fun as well as for personal reasons that would not even occur to someone not familiar with the hobby. With rapid evolution, revolution, technology, LEDs, hot-wires, mods, sellers, builders etc, as well as this GREAT community and, of course, CPF, perhaps Mr. Albergotti can be enlightened as to the different facets of flashaholism that make us flashaholics. Not only will he get a much richer, deeper and more interesting story than "Have you heard of 'The Beast'?", but may also become "intoxicated" himself.

dim

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I received a similar email. I'll be talking to him during my lunch hour.

I'll post an update afterwards.

Jon

jtice

Flashaholic

I also recieved an email from him,

but havent replied yet,
Im not gonna have time right now to speak with him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
These 10 hour work days are gettin old.

...welp, back to work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I look forward to reading the article.

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened

Wanna bet the article starts off something like this?

"Pacing back and forth in his basement, listening to his emergency radio, and holding his Surefire U2 poised like Luke Skywalker wielding a lightsaber, XXX was rooting for the tornado to hit the powerlines..."

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys, I don't want to be a pessimist here, but what would an economic publication want with life-and-death stories about flashlights?

My wife, being a veterinarian, read a WSJ story in the same section a while back about veterinary care. Apparently the thrust of the article was how prices are so jacked, and what kind of a dumbarse pays a grand for a pet's care. She said it was a fairly negative spin and a little unfair.

Don't be surprized if this article is a little less than flattering.

Scott

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, as planned I talked with Reed during my lunch break. As Dave said, he is very nice and was genuinely interested in what I had to say (none of the typical "how bright, how far, etc" questions). Reed was interested in how long I've been a flashlight enthusiast and how I first became interested in them. He wanted to know how useful they've been and in what situations, how many I had (in general and just the "tactical" kind) and how much money I've spent on them in the last few years. He also wanted to know why and how many I carry with me at a time (probably because I mentioned carrying one that would not seem intimidating to people). I also related one semi-self-defense story involving my E2e which he seemed very interested in.

His final question was "which one are you pining for right now". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif While there aren't too many factory lights I'm interested in (I did mention the SF Aviator), I said there were guys that customize or "hot rod" lights and that I'm really interested in those. What can I say, I've caught the hotwire/hid bug! That really got him interested and he asked for websites were he could learn more. Unfortunately I didn't know of any other than CPF - as far as I know this is where it's all happening (in the U.S. at least).

I would encourage the rest of you that have been contacted to talk to him if you have the time. With luck his article will turn other people on to the benefits of higher quality lights - and that can only be good for all of us! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: Just noticed the last two posts. Yes, there is a chance he's fishing for some sort of story to slam people that spend too much on lights, but I don't think so. Would seem like a waste of a column to me. Google his name and Wall Street Journal and you'll find a few articles that he's been involved in that talk about gadgets. I saw on specifically that dealt with home theater equipment.

Jon

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Google his name and Wall Street Journal and you'll find a few articles that he's been involved in that talk about gadgets. . ."

That would be good, and it makes sense to write about interesting gadgets. I don't read the WSJ often, but I have read a few articles through the years that were unfair and some that were grossly in error, particularly on technical subjects.

Just be careful when speaking to journalists. Martin Bashir wasn't a jerk to Jackson when he made that documentary.

Scott

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fair enough Scott, but I resent in the extreme any sort of correlation to Michael Jackson. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon

MrMom

Enlightened

I have been contacted and returned his email. If we do speak I would like to discuss how/why the lights are put to use while camping, hiking, boating, geocaching and in the facilities management feild. I would also like to point out the difference between candlepower and lumens ~ confusing and misleading to newbs.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken Good would be a great guy for him to talk to. If you want to get to the bleeding edge of tactical lights, that's about where is is.

Scott

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting. I remember a thread a while back where a news anchor on a certain channel was a flashaholic. He mentioned a few lights like SureFire and Even Don's Mcclux series. Besides that, I dont remember any other news story or event regarding our hobby.

Finbar

Newly Enlightened

The first rule of CPF Fight Club is...don't talk about CPF Fight Club!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif
Fin