Power outage at work today

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This afternoon the building was suddenly plunged into darkness. We scrambled to re-route generator power to places where it was needed, but we didn't have enough portable light fixtures to go around.

The power weas off long enough that most of the emergency exit lights as well as a smattering of cheap-o incandescent flashlights had gone dead. While most areas had enough sunlight coming in through the windows to function, some of the windowless hallways (and all of the restrooms) were pitch black!

I had my trusty Q-III with me as well as my Dorcy 1W Luxeon headlamp. Several people commented on the QIII to the effect of "Wow, NICE flashlight! What IS that?!"

Ok, so it doesn't put out a million candlepower, but it was the whitest and cleanest-looking light in the whole building! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh btw, the power is back on now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LowWorm

Enlightened
Last time there was a power outage at my work, all I had was cheap, company logo penlight that died after the first few minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif . It was buddy system to the bathrooms, and THAT'S no fun...your Nuwai or other decent EDC pays for itself right there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Last power outage at a work place I experienced I had a UK2AAA incan that luckily the batteries were fresh. My aunt experienced a power outage and she had the only light of everyone and it was a little dorcy AAA I gave her over 6 months ago still running on the original battery. She uses it also for reading menus in dark restaraunts.

My advice is if you have a pocket or purse keep a AAA led light in it, keychain coin/button cell lights are fine but runtimes may find them dying during an extended power outage at work because rarely do people carry two of them so one has new batteries when the other one dies after 87 1minute bursts of light over a year.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last time there was a power outage at work,
the emergency lighting did not into effect, thats where the Pal-light became to source of lighting for the duration of the outage atleast 3 hours until power was restored, I have never seen so many people rely on only one Flashlight

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Mine was running brightly for the whole outage. Like Lowworm said, it came in really handy for potty breaks! Others were sharing an increasingly dim incandescent light in order to see in the restrooms.

I think I'm going to look into LED replacement lamps for the incandescents in the emergency light fixtures. Those things were worthless after only two hours. An equivalent LED retrofit would probably allow for at least a day of continuous, usable white light.