Rechargables questions for SL Propoly 4AA Luxeon

_zeb_

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I'm new to the forum but I've spent a lot time reading the posts since I was going to finally replace my huge Maglite (6 D-cells).

My choice was finally SL Propoly 4AA Luxeon since all of you seem to be happy with it. I ordered 4 (2 black and 2 yellow)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Now my questions:
I've read users who uses rechargables without any problems even if Streamlight is stating that the garranty is no longer valid.

1. Is it safe to do so on this particular flash light?

2. What issues is there when putting rechargables into a light that's not meant for it?

3. Is some rechargables "better" than others, and why?

4. What kind of rechargables do you use for SLP4AAL?

Hope you could en-"lighten" me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,
Zeb

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Energizer Rechargeable's in my Streamlight Propolymer 1 Watt Luxeon.

I have been using the rechargeable's in my light for about 9 months now with no problems. I use the Streamlight daily at work.

The Energizer's cost $9.99 with out tax for the 4 batteries.

dsc008697mf.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Bertrik

Newly Enlightened
Re: Rechargables questions for SL Propoly 4AA Luxe

1. I've seen some older thread (that I can't find right now) where this was discussed. IIRC this was not explicitly tested by SL but is probably OK.
2. Perhaps some very simple unregulated lights rely on the battery's internal resistance to limit LED current. NiCd and NiMH have lower internal resistance so they might damage those lights. The SL PP luxeon is very well regulated.
3. I like NiMH's over NiCd's because they have higher capacity and contain no cadmium.
4. I have mine for a few weeks now and use it with NiMH's exclusively. I don't see any difference in brightness between rechargeables and alkaline batteries.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should see no performance dropoff; the circuit is a buck, and the 4 nimh cells are still in excess of what's needed. In fact, you'll probably see the regulation get even better, as the nimh will maintain a nice flat discharge curve all the way.

_zeb_

Newly Enlightened

Thanks alot for the answers. I will go for 4 Nimh cells.

This forum really rocks, I've had this thread out for 2 hours and already 3 replies! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif!!

Keep up the good work guys!

*on my way to become a flashaholic junkie* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

_zeb_

Newly Enlightened

By the way, is there any difference if I choose a 2300 mAh over a 3000 mAh?

txmatt

Enlightened

I haven't seen any "true" 3000 mAh AA's. Just like flashlight manufacturers with lumens claims, some battery companies may exagerate their battery capacity. 2500 or 2600 is about the highest I'm aware of right now.

As far as capacity, the higher the better as long as you're comparing apples to apples (realistic ratings). You might read some in the "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" forum. There are some sticky threads about battery testing. The Energizer's shown above have tested very well. Sam's sells the 2500 mAh NiMH AA above for ~$15 for 8 batteries. Great deal if you have access to a Sams club and membership. I run these in both of my Propoly AA Lux's.