Do you even know about Nuevo Laredo?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Cocaine drug lords running around unchecked. 41 Americans kidnapped in the last year. 2 Police Chiefs murdered, one in his first 6 hours as chief. Shootouts all over the place with military weapons including an RPG and we barely get any news coverage. This has been going on for a year just across the Texas border in Nuevo Laredo. I pity the family of the girl abducted in Arubu but that story gets around the clock coverage and this one gets nearly none. 41 Americans kidnapped, 41 in the last year within shouting distance of the US boarder and it is barely on the radar. What is up? I ask that question with all seriousness, I find it unbelievable.

Fox News blurb

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Where\'s the coverage of Nuevo Laredo?

Maybe because there hasn't been any american killed yet, they'll get to that, don't worry, sad but true. If you understand spanish check the news in galavision or televisa, it has been on the front pages of all mexican newspapers and TV stations. The city has been under siege of the federal police (AFI) for more than a month, all the local police were house arrested while they investigated if they had ties with drug lords.

Nasty place to live in Laredo right now. Hope they get relief soon.

Alex

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

If one of those gunfights with grenades, machine guns and rocket propelled grenades is caught on film or video, you will see it on the news, I promise.

Topper

Flashaholic*

Good question. I do not have an answer for you. The Dad of the girl.. He worked where I work at one point. Yep right here in Arkansas I have not seen him in years had no clue of the divorce or his ex-wife moving to Alabama. Sort of hit kinda close to home for me so I follow it abit. What is more important?? I will not diss-agree with you Sir on this
I think that the Dealers (from where ever selling whatever)
is a bad thing. I have indeed met and indeed Dave was my boss for awhile years past I still think you are correct in your thoughts as to what should be important to all of us. I am in your corner on this hope that don't scare you too bad. If any one wishes to check. I work at Colson's they make casters. Dave was A supervisor for a while feel free to check it out I speak truth.
Topper

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

[ QUOTE ]
AlexGT said:
Maybe because there hasn't been any american killed yet, they'll get to that, don't worry, sad but true. If you understand spanish check the news in galavision or televisa, it has been on the front pages of all mexican newspapers and TV stations. The city has been under siege of the federal police (AFI) for more than a month, all the local police were house arrested while they investigated if they had ties with drug lords.

Nasty place to live in Laredo right now. Hope they get relief soon.

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are the 41 people that were kidnapped? Are you saying they were all released? According to my sister in San Antonio most of the people are still missing. She may or may not have her facts straight and I don't understand or read Spanish well enough to figure it out. As we all know too well as of late, not having a body to confirm death certainly doesn't mean someone is not dead.

IF we have American Citizens still missing, dead or alive in Nuevo Laredo it needs to be put on the front burner and it doesn't appear it is.

The more I think about it the more I think there are a lot of politics involved. If you stir the population up about a clear and present danger (great book and movie by the way) right on our own border then politicians run the risk of actually having to do something meaningful about stemming the flow of illegals crossing the border. 41 kidnappings, grenades, machine guns, rocket propelled grenades and murder on every corner is damn serious but it's hush-hush in the mainstream media. I'm convinced neither party wants any serious action taken to secure our borders with Mexico, too many voting Mexicans already in the US they risk pissing off. At some point the political correctness, kissing up and hiding the issue will be overshadowed by the sheer enormity of the problem. Americans will grasp the issue and demand that 1, our citizens are returned or there will be hell to pay and 2, we must secure our southern border now.

I'm not an activist on the issue but isn't it just common sense to secure your borders when you know it's one of the ways terrorist enter the country?

Ask yourself this, "What would we as a country be doing and saying if 41 Americans had been kidnapped in Aruba this past year?

gorn

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
AlexGT said:
Maybe because there hasn't been any american killed yet,
Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

A police officer there shot and killed an American woman a couple of days ago. It is said that he did it accidentally after stopping her for being suspicious.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

God, I can't wait till the day Hispanics become the majority in california and turn one of our towns in to the next NuevoNuevo Laredo...

Seriosuly though, it worries me, a lot of communities in California already look, smells, and act like mexico already...

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:

The more I think about it the more I think there are a lot of politics involved. If you stir the population up about a clear and present danger (great book and movie by the way) right on our own border then politicians run the risk of actually having to do something meaningful about stemming the flow of illegals crossing the border. 41 kidnappings, grenades, machine guns, rocket propelled grenades and murder on every corner is damn serious but it's hush-hush in the mainstream media. I'm convinced neither party wants any serious action taken to secure our borders with Mexico, too many voting Mexicans already in the US they risk pissing off. At some point the political correctness, kissing up and hiding the issue will be overshadowed by the sheer enormity of the problem. Americans will grasp the issue and demand that 1, our citizens are returned or there will be hell to pay and 2, we must secure our southern border now.

I'm not an activist on the issue but isn't it just common sense to secure your borders when you know it's one of the ways terrorist enter the country?

Ask yourself this, "What would we as a country be doing and saying if 41 Americans had been kidnapped in Aruba this past year?

[/ QUOTE ]
You hit the nail on the head. The only places I have seen anything about this is on other forums such as AR15.com. I think it is time to build a wall myself. Take some of the money we waste on the space progams and put up a good enough wall on our southern border and let the army patrol it. I could care less about going to the moon again, I want our borders secure. But of course you know we are are not being PC and someone will claim that we are painting all Mexicans with the same wide brush. I really dont care anymore what anyone else thinks to be honest. The politicians wont do anything because of the vote and they think if they speak up it would be political suicide. Citizens of this country need to get their heads out of the sand.
You know the funny thing is that my wifes cousin married a man who was from Mexico. He is here legaly and I consider him an American not a Mexican American by the way. Whoever started that (insert nationality here) American junk should be whippped. If you are here legally and have your citizenship then you are an American. Just plain ol American and you should be proud enough of that. Anyway his family feels the same way I do. They think illigal immigration should be stopped and are as sick of it as most of us are. I would bet that most legal immigrants feel the same way.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

LifeNRA:

I wish I can be as open minded as you, but the way look at it is, a lot of people of MExican descent in this country are children of illegal immigrants. I think that's one flaw in our system is we give the title "American" to whoever was conceivedi n this nation of ours, and that's just completely insane. We give the same benefit to people who waited for years to immigrate to this country in legal manner as those who simply walked across the boarder...disgraceful to say the least. It is no secret that hispanics have double the birth rate(recorded in census at least) of the next highest racial group. Them number multiply like rabits my friend...

My point before I go on a rant that might offend people more, is that, Our system has major flaws that will eventually bite us in the rear..the day is coming...mark my words...

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LifeNRA said:Take some of the money we waste on the space progams and put up a good enough wall on our southern border and let the army patrol it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is interesting to me that so many think the solution to our problems is to build a bigger wall and hope that all of the problems will stay on the other side.

We've spent billions on walling up America from terrorism only to find that airport security and steel doors on airplanes only push the terror to the subways. If we spend billions more on subway security then it will move to buses...and after that onto something new.

The problems we face have roots. Until we attack these problems at the roots, they will just go on and on. What is at the root of our drug lord problems? Hmmm... we used to have this problem with alcohol; during prohibition. I think we decided that prohibition wasn't effective, we got practical and decided to face our "substance abuse" problems in a different manner. That worked; no more alcohol fueled gangsters.

You can try simply building bigger walls, but our problems have a nasty habit of finding ways to trickle through.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Ikendu,
Interesting points but I know you don't mean to imply lifting prohibition solved our problem with alcohol when in fact it made the problems associated with alcohol more widespread. Less kingpins and more alcoholics isn't a solution.

The root of the problems with the drug lords, just like the kingpins of alcohol is demand which equates to money. The drugs are addictive so the idea of keeping the supply and removing the demand is impossible. The millions we spent on educating the youth over the past 30 years hasn't worked. Lowering supply is the only effective method of controlling it. I didn't say eliminating supply because that's a pipe dream. If you started giving 10 years hard labor, genuine hard labor for the first offense to the kid standing on the corner with three little bags I believe there would be a large reduction in the number of people selling at the street level. If you made it a minimum of 30 years hard labor for the guy transporting it, again first offense, I believe the driver pool would start to dry up. And finally, if you gave life in prison without the possibility of parole or the death sentence, make no mistake these guys are killing people, then the mid level distributors numbers would start getting smaller. Do all that AND build the wall on the border and drug use and the associated violence, not to mention less bad guys would all be reduced in the U.S. dramatically. The beauty of the wall is it reduces drugs and the number of bad guys entering the country.

I have a friend who's a customs inspector on the border and he said we are stopping maybe 10% of the drugs right now. Let's get that number to 50% and we've done something. Eliminating the problem at the root flat won't happen for both drugs and terrorism.

Stopping terrorism at the root would be even harder than stopping the drugs. The core problem is a large number of the entire worlds population either supports the terrorism or won't genuinely condemn it. Let me put it this way. If a group of people started blowing up subways, buses, planes and buildings in the name of Christianity in this day and age Christians would help root out the low life's and expose them. We do not see the same thing happening with members of Islam and that's a shame. Yes they pay lip service to the problem but with millions and millions of Muslims around the world not taking any action to turn the guys in when you know they see them every day or know where they are through contacts or rumors you have to wonder. Actually I don't even wonder. Until Muslims as a whole decide to stop the people committing the acts of terrorism it won't stop. We as non-Muslim Americans can do nothing to stop it, we can only reduce it. It's two different core beliefs and nothing we do, pulling out of Iraq, stop supporting Israel, nothing we do short of converting will stop the attacks and in reality it wouldn't even stop then. They tell us if we get out of Iraq and Afghanistan they will stop, that's bull. Integrity is not something these extremist Muslims are known for so we should never believe they will stop if we do this or that because history tells us if their lips are moving they are lying.

Enough ranting for one morning

Keep it civil and MAYBE we can keep it out of the Underground where I refuse to play.

flashlite

Enlightened

Fox News just did a story about this yesterday afternoon. Fox News' Steve Harrigan is on the scene...in the midst of it with his cameras, so we'll probably see more of it now.

HWilliam

Newly Enlightened

"Lowering supply is the only effective method of controlling it."

Or we could increase the supply. Keep a drum each of free coke and meth on every street corner and the problem would be gone in a few months.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

DeiselDave summed up my thoughts nicely with his last post. I had a response but DeiselDave said everything I was thinking. And he said it better than I could have.
The only thing I will add is that if you have ever seen what these highly addictive drugs turn people into then there would be no way anyone would want them legalized. We have enough problems with drunks running into innocent people on the highway. I dont really want other drugs that can turn someone into a murdering lunatic legalized.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
flashlite said:
Fox News just did a story about this yesterday afternoon. Fox News' Steve Harrigan is on the scene...in the midst of it with his cameras, so we'll probably see more of it now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont have DirectTV anymore, too far out in the country for cable, but I miss Fox News.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fox is reporting this morning that the head Security guy for the city was executed in the downtown area in full daylight.

Tourism is down 90% and the central Mexican government needs to invoke their authority and take over control of the city.

I never felt safe in cities like Acapulco and can't imagine what it's like in these little border towns.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Marty Weiner said:
Fox is reporting this morning that the head Security guy for the city was executed in the downtown area in full daylight.

Tourism is down 90% and the central Mexican government needs to invoke their authority and take over control of the city.

I never felt safe in cities like Acapulco and can't imagine what it's like in these little border towns.

[/ QUOTE ]

The druglords already excuted a police chief that was on the job for only a few hours...a security guy is surely disposable...

police chief sprayed with bullets

chrisse242

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
LifeNRA said:
DeiselDave summed up my thoughts nicely with his last post. I had a response but DeiselDave said everything I was thinking. And he said it better than I could have.
The only thing I will add is that if you have ever seen what these highly addictive drugs turn people into then there would be no way anyone would want them legalized. We have enough problems with drunks running into innocent people on the highway. I dont really want other drugs that can turn someone into a murdering lunatic legalized.

[/ QUOTE ]

To some extent you're right. I want no one who has taken any kind of drug driving a car. On the other hand there have been experiments where addicts got "treated" with controled doses of their drugs along with mental therapy. Many of them where able to work as before, care for their families and live a life as most of us.

Taking away demand could actually work to some extent. Drug lords make most of their money from those already addicted. If you take this demand away, while at the same time keeping pressure on big dealers it would become less worthwhile to produce and sell drugs. You'd still have to work on many other fields though.

One more thing to consider is, most of the time someone doesn't become addicted by accident or because some evil dealer put something into the persons drink. There is a reason, some kind of mental illness, behind each addiction. So if you just take away the drugs, the individual will become addicted to something else. Shopping maybe, eating, gambling, whatever makes them feel happy for a second. Without proper mental treatment an addicted person will always be addicted to something.
I had one case in my family. The woman worked at a doctors for years. In this time she took about every medical drug she could get hold of, including morphine and other highly addictive substances . She counterfeited prescriptions or stole the drugs from her job. Nobody ever noticed anything. When she lost the job and couldn't get the meds any longer, she suddenly developed anorexia, and she almost died. After years of treatment she's kind of stable now, but the point is she just changed the "drug" she was addicted without any visible signs.

Chrisse

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

For all the make the wall goers, did you know of the underground mini train some druglords built in the Tijuana border, if there is demand there will always be a way, IMHO education and proper parenting (Being there for them) is the key to minimize the problem.

Remember the 60's? live and let die... Peace, etc. We started this avalanche, where were the parents? I think the family unity and values is what is falling apart, and the substance abuse is the sympthom.

IMHO