Question for KL4 owners?

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
I would like to know how many people who went from using an E2e (E2o, E2d, etc.) to a KL4 never went back to the E2 incandescent.

Meaning did the L4 or KL4 successfully replace the incans of the E2 in actual use?

Thanks!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me. The KL4 is brighter, whiter (most definitely), regulated so that it doesn't keep dimming down, which is the most irritating part about the MN03 lamp.

The only incandescent E2e I have is the satin gray (SG) one, because there is no KL4 conversion head in SG. But I have a KL1-SG that matches it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flashdark

Enlightened
Me too. I'm a flood-type person and this was the answer for me in both size and power. However, the old L2 is far more versatile, with 10 1/2 hrs. of duration on "low" (equivalent to the old E1/KL1 combo), and even brighter on "high" than the KL4.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I still have some E2es, but I use the L4 more because the L4 is regulated and uses Pila 168S batteries.

The Surefire A2 is another replacement for the E2e. You might want to consider the L2 also.

The E2e was the obvious choice before the L4,A2,L2 came out because of size vs brightness. The E2e is as good as ever, but now we have more choices.

The answer to your question is: yes the L4 replaced the E2e for my use. I am using a L4 with a Pila 168S & a ARC 4x with a R123 for my EDC because of the rechargeable batteries.

I actually went from EDCing a E2e, ARC LSH-P & a ARC AAA to carrying a A2, ARC LSH-P, ARC AAA. I carried the A2 for about 18 months and only switched to a X bin PR and then the L4 because I could use Pila batteries.

If I weren't using Pila batteries I would use either the A2 or L2.

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a McE2S 30 ohm switch a couple of days ago for the KL4, really looking forward to it! Once I have that I do not see the E2 getting much action...

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
me too. Haven't used my E2E once since I got my L4. I run it on the unregulated Pila 168s equivalent. phree photons!

UVvis

Enlightened
I use an E light with the MN02 far more than my L4, which I don't find to be that useful. Mostly the L4's light would wash out on me in the places I use it, and the tint on my L4 is whiter, but it makes it harder for me to distinguish among green things. If it had a slight yellow tint like my KL5 I would probably find it a little more useful.

I guess it depends on what you use it for, I just wish more LED's produced a warm white color.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Two different torches for different tasks in my life. I like the E2e/KL1 for up close tasks "most of the time". The KL4 is "my pocket 'WALL OF LIGHT'".

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Another convert here. My first Surefire was an E2 and my second Surefire was an L4. Sold my E2 shortly after getting the L4. But the E2 did get a lot of use (and it showed), but I just loved the output on the L4 and the whiteness of the LED (I have a good tint) along with the Z57 clickie and the fact that I wouldn't have to change the bulb. To me the L4 is still one of the best production EDC lights out there.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Me too. Although I sold the KL4 for an Aleph, the net results is that I have never gone back to incandecent lights. I have even turned my 6Z and 6P into LED's with the BugOutGear 3W module /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Will