Lemileds

r2

Enlightened
Nope, that wasn't a typo. I bought a 2xCR123 light from eBay that claimed to have a 3 watt Luxeon Star. It had a nice tint but wasn't as bright as I expected, so I took it apart. I compared the star that I saw with pictures and it appeared to be a Luxeon I instead of a Luxeon III. Today I finally got around to taking the star off so I could see what bin it was from, but there was no printing on the back of the star.

As I was staring at it, I finally noticed that the printing said "LEMILEDS" instead of "LUMILEDS". It's small enough that I didn't notice any of the other times I unscrewed the bezel, but it appears to be a classic Chinese knockoff with a slightly misspelled name.

Not bad for a knockoff, though. It's as bright as my Costco 2AA (with a genuine Lumileds Luxeon I) and has a much better tint.

Has anyone else seen "LEMILEDS" Luxeon Stars in the wild?

- Russ

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahah Lemi-leds. From the makers that brought you "Lemmings"!! hahah!!

Yeah theres a lot of clones out now, and the "3w" luxeon clones look like a 1W star.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
go to Global Sources site, You will get these LED's at $0.1 per LED in quantities of 1000 to 10,000 ....!

Initialy, When I landed on Global Sources site, a couple of months back, I too thought it was LumiLED's but later on i came to know that it is LEMILED's

But at $0.1 per LED... it's definately not bad.

Terms & Condtions are FOB Source & 25% TT First, 100% at Pickup time.

Lead time is 1 to 5 weeks depending on the Quantity.

(yes they are binned rather Tinned ... (only tints are true,not bins) in EXACTLY same way as the Luxeon's) ...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, they might be good for cheap house lighting fixtures, giving that they last as long as luxeons, and perform OK at lower power levels...