Modded Mag 2C vs. common Lithium Xenon?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do the two compare? The Mag in question is the common 2C, modded with a KPR112 bulb and fitted with three 123A cells in series. It seems an easy and well discussed mod.

There are plenty of two by 123A lithium cell lights out there with Xenon lamps. Many are reasonably priced. Dorcy Spyder, Brinkman Legend, and Pelican M6 all spring to mind.

Does one blow the other away? I just built a Mag 2C after doing a little reading here, and was surprised how cheap and easy it was. I've never seen one of the Xenon lights in action, and I want to know if I'm missing something.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are missing out on size! The Pelican M6 (the only one you listed that I have/had) is small and throws far, but with the 2C's one extra battery and higher rated bulb, along with bigger reflector gives out more light.

The 2C is a nice mod (I got one, but the KPR112 lamps are a PIA because it always blows on me at the worst times(showing peoplethe light) so I go with a 6 cell Magnum star bulb) but I spent more money putting stuff into it than the actual flashlight itself. It adds up, the UCL lens, the Perfect Mag Reflector, the bulbs, the batteries.

Its a nice light, but size limits to where I will carry it.

You aren't really missing the light output in the 2C when compared to other lights of that class (3 X CR123's) BUT you are missing dependability, compact size (Surefire M3/C3/9P are a lot smaller, along with the Streamlight TL-3), and construction quality. Mags re good, Streamlights are better, and Surefire's are the best IMHO.

wwglen

Enlightened
Browning makes a three cell CR123 flashlight rated at somethin like 120-130 Lumens. This is great because the bulb for it is a PR based buld. I don't really understand because the bulb package SAYS BiPin bit it is a PR base.

I use this bulb (about $3- $4 at the local sporting goods store) in my 2C mag mod and it works great and made for three CR123s.

wwglen

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag 2C is much longer than you need for this purposse.

Put two 3.7V rechargeable cells in a 2x123A body, use a "9V" (7.5V) bulb, and you have 105 to 130 lumens in a 2-cell, 5.5-to 6-inch package for 25 to 35 minutes. Someone has reported used a Streamlight TL-3 bulb in the 4.8-inch TL-2 body with pleasing results.

Put three 3.7V recharegable cells in a 3x123A body, use a 12V bulb, and you have 190-220 lumens in a 3-cell package for 20 to 30 minutes. Some have done this with the Streamlight TL-3, which at 6.2 inches is perhaps the shortest 3-cell 123A light made.

Carry a set of spares to double your runtime.

Surefire, Surefire compatibles, Pila, Wolf Eyes, and now Microfire are all good candidates for these simple mods.