How many Amateur radio operators on CPF?

big_guy

Newly Enlightened
How many of you are "Hams" and what is your favorite frequency and rig?

I have wanted to become an Amateur radio operator for at least 20 years but never slowed down enough to study for the test. When the FCC relaxed the licensing requirements, I told myself that I would study for it now that I didn't have to learn code. Well, needless to say, I still don't have a radio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Now that I can't work and am at home pretty much 24/7, I desperately need something to keep me occupied. It has been suggested that I join a group of some sort to stay socially active but somehow that doesn't appeal to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif
After a lot of thought trying to figure out what to do about my lack of social interaction, it all of a sudden hit me! Buy a transceiver!!! I could talk all I want when I wanted, or not talk at all if I was so inclined! The monthly club meets and other related activities would likely help pull me out of my cave for my dose of "social interaction" the doctor keeps hounding me about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It's sounding more and more like a win, win situation! Just one small, tiny little insignificant problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif Along with disability comes a very substantial reduction of available funds./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Sorry for the life history! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Didn't mean to get carried away. Guess I need to socialize more than I thought! LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

I am leaning toward 2 meter to start as I have a few friends in other cities that have 2 meter rigs and I could communicate with them. Plus, the license is easy to get! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyone have a GOOD 2 meter mobil rig at a reasonable
price? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know a lot of you guys (and gals) get a new rig and retire the old one to the closet or garage shelf. If anyone could stand to be seperated from their old friend, I would welcome the chance to give it a good and happy
home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

This was more or less written in good humor. If you do have a unit available, please PM me with the info as I know this isn't the place to advertise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

Regards,

Arlen

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Ham? Yep.

Favorite frequencies? On VHF/UHF it's local to where YOU are - I'm usually listening to one of 2 repeaters areound here. I use mostly commercial radios, Less intermod, used, they can be cheap, but programming can be a bear unless you want to spend for the programmer

for HF? I'll camp on 14.195 and listen - plus I keep the cluster running

dim

Enlightened
Check out the different HAM Radio sites for used equipment. - eham.net, qrz.com, swap.qth.com, and, of course, ebay. eham.net has an excellent review section.

For the difference in money, I think a dual-band (2m/70cm), generally, is the better value over a 2m rig. The Yaesu FT-7800 gets good reviews and costs about $260 new (the last time I looked). The now discontinued Yaesu FT-90 has served me well over the years. A 12 volt power supply with at least 10 amps will be needed to run base as the FT-7800 is a mobile rig, and the most modest antenna to work local repeaters or something with a little height and gain to work simplex.

I think the no-code tech license is a great ticket but I'm a little less sure about no-code HF privileges and I know I don't like the "I can't wait until the code requirement is dropped" attitude. When I upgraded my ticket about 12 years ago, I found that, as dull as it may be, learning code at 5wpm or even 13wpm is easy. I am no CW zealot and in fact don't much care to work CW. By simply memorizing the characters, you will be able to copy 5 to 10wpm. A few hours of practice with a good program or tape is all that is really needed - a few minutes per day for a few days, really. Over the years, I've seen/read/heard folks spend more time complaining about the code than it takes to study/practice for 5wpm.

I'll ask you the same question I asked myself just a few days before I upgraded - "How badly do you want it, boy?". If you want it half as badly as I did, take you General test with the code. Don't wait for the privileges to come to you, EARN IT!!

dim

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Got my techniciaan license a couple of years ago. Primarily interested in amateur video, but I haven't poked any holes in the ether with it yet.

paulr

Flashaholic
I still have a valid license but haven't been on the air in many years. Frankly the internet has pretty much killed ham radio as a virtual-interaction medium for nerds. If you're not getting out enough to see people, then you need to get out more; chatting on ham radio is fun but not really much different from hanging out on CPF.

If you go to a hamfest you can get a minimal 2 meter tranceiver dirt cheap, like 50 bucks or less for an old handheld. You want a reasonable external antenna to have any sort of range though.

All in all ham radio is a fun hobby, but like the internet, it shouldn't be thought of as a substitute for an actual social life.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I'm not radioactive, but just renewed WJ6I for another 10 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I think it was more the cell phone that started wiping hamdom. (I am proud to say I still don't have one, and am thinking about installing a mobile jamming device in my pickup for some of those idiots on the road! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ) When I moved to my present Loc'n, 10 years ago, I lost my tower/power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have a 2M all mode available with a 160W linear and base power supply available as well as a 2M/440 HT and stuff to go mobile with it. A brother gave me A tribander for X-mas and an antenna I should put-up. We all got our priorities. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (I doubt I can copy 5wpm today!- Didn't spend a lot of time on the low bands.)

Larry

big_guy

Newly Enlightened
quote I think the no-code tech license is a great ticket but I'm a little less sure about no-code HF privileges and I know I don't like the "I can't wait until the code requirement is dropped" attitude. quote

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifYou've been around the hobby a while, I can tell. I knew very little about amateur radio back around 1970 when I first got involved in CB. I paid $20 for my license and enjoyed talking "legal" to the few who were involved back then. I remember the guilty pleasure I felt "shooting skip barefoot" (no linear amplifier) and just knew that at any time I would get a vist from "big brother or Uncle" (FCC) for breaking the rules. They actually did monitor CB back then and issue citations and confiscate the stations of the worst offenders.

The "good old days" of CB didn't last much longer and everyone and his Brother had a CB. All you could hear was, "10-4 good buddy"! No one bothered with a license anymore and 500 watt linears were small potatos compared to the 1 and 2 thousand watt stations a lot of guys were running. Skip became so bad that even talking local at 10 miles or so was often impossible due to the deafining whine of mixed signals.

I resented the ones who ruined the hobby back then, just as I am sure those of you who have been around a while don't like to see the rules loosened to make it easy for ones like me to get in. At least there is very little to no chance of Amateur radio befalling the same fate as CB did. I know that I plan to obey the rules and use proper etiquette at all times. Having been a LEO for 10 years or so further ingrained in me the proper radio proceedure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Arlen

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
K9XZJ here.

I got my license about 4 years ago as an adjunt for one of my other hobbies - 4 wheeling. Although I have my license, I'm probably not what you would call a "ham" because I'm not into amateure radio as a hobby.

I have 3 Yaesu FT90's (one in the truck, one in the Jeep, and one configured as a portable to use where ever I need it, or to use as a loaner)and a Yeasu VX-5. I use them exclusively for communication on the road and when 4 wheeling. Where I go, there is no cell coverage, and sometimes the tree cover is too thick for reliable satellite phone service, but if you really need to reach out and touch someone (medical emergency, etc), you can usually reach a repeater and get a message out.

A few years ago, I was at our campsite about 8000 feet up in the Sierra mountains. One of our group had not gotten the directions to the camp site. We made initial contact on the 2 meter band, via a repeater, when he was over 200 miles away. I vectored him in to the campsite turn by turn, and we never lost contact.

I don't have any plans for getting into amature radio just for the jun of it, but I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of my license. For me, HAM radio is just one more tool in my communications tool kit (FRS radio, CB radio, HAM radio, cell phone, satellite phone, Costco HID light
smoker.gif
)

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a closet full of ham equipment that I'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price, although I have no idea what a reasonable price is nowadays. Most of it is from the 70's and 80's. Yaesu transceiver, 2 meter mobile rig, 10 meter and tons of other stuff (even a slow scan and TI 16K computer), half of which I don't even know what it is. It was my dad's and I never use it. Email me if interested.

paulr

Flashaholic
There's tons of ham stuff on ebay. You can find reasonable prices for your stuff by just searching on the model numbers of what you have. Most 70's ham stuff these days is considered boat anchors, though still operable if less conveniently than newer stuff. You also have to watch out for components like capacitors going bad over the years.

Right now my only operable gear that I can put my hands on is a 440 mhz HT. I have a junky old 2M HT somewhere as well but I have no idea where it is. I wouldn't mind having an HF rig stashed away just in case of some big outage, but I'd want it to be a solid state rig that I could power from 12 volts.

Darell

Flashaholic
KE6IYV. Wife is KE6IYW.

We were really active there for quite some time, but I agree with Larry - the cell phone has really taken a big bite out of the hobby for us... plus it is harder than heck to install a mobile rig in many newer cars. I just renewed both licenses for another ten years... I really should get back into it. Now... where did I leave all that spare time?

All my my HT's and mobile rigs are dual-band 2M/440.

big_guy

Newly Enlightened
It's great to hear from so many CPFrs who are involved in Amateur radio.

In response to what PaulR said: I know it isn't really a substitute for social interaction. I was halfway being facetious when I mentioned that, although I don't get out very often, I figure the monthly club meets and other ham activities will help get me out more and circulating among a larger group of people than I have in the past:)

My Son and I went to a gun show today and looked around for about three hours. It was some great quality time spent alone with him and we both enjoyed the outing very much. We both know from experience that there is about a 95 percent chance that I will be in pain all night and won't be able to get out of bed tomorrow. After several years of that pattern, one tends to get a little cynical:)

The main reason I don't want to buy a rig on eBay is the fact that I am not educated enough on the finer points of the various features available. I absolutely know that I would buy one and in a few weeks find out about something that would have led to me making a different choice.

I will be needing several items for 2 meter as I am 100 positive I am finally going to take the plunge!

Mobil antennas and one for the house are certainties.

I would also like to find a good SWR/Power meter and a desk mic. I still remember the old Asiatic D 104 lollypop mics and would gladly buy it if any of you have one!

Stingray PM sent.

Thanks all.

Arlen

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
My ticket is overdue for renewal
KB0OGW
Does anybody know about vanity call signs?
...snip...

[/ QUOTE ]

OK - I've looked you up on QRZ (and yes, you need renewal - do it!) - your a Technician class

That means you are eligable for a "Group C or Group D" call sign

"General, Technician or Technician Plus class licensees can seek a 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)--FCC call sign Groups C or D."

So, you MIGHT be able to get WT5END - which IS available as of 8:00am this morning

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
BTW as for 2m/440Mhz dual band rigs - for "ham" rigs, I personally like the Kenwood rigs - BUT I think the D700 is way overrated - the TNC that is built in is VERY limited. I have the G707, and it's been very solid. Be CAREFUL on any of the REALLY REALLY small rigs - they tend to overheat if used in a high duty cycle mode - aka, you spend a lot of time talking vs listening - not a GOOD thing to do, but if you ever get to the point where you are doing things like "Net control", some QSOs can get long as you pass traffic

I would NOT recommend a Commercial rig for a first radio, but for any of you guys who have some experience - you should give it a try - they are usually tanks meant to be abused and still keep going. The BIG problems is that they are 1)Single band and 2)"fixed frequency" (although some have mods that allow front pannel programming)

I know that I ran GE Rangr radios for quite a while - 110 watts VHF or UHF (yes that is a lot of UHF watts), and if you get a 950 or 990 control heads, there is a chip to make them front pannel program

At one time GE/Ericcson/MA-COM/Tyco used to support front pannel programming on most of their stuff that was sold to HAMS. The problem was that some dealer was selling these mods to the NON ham community, and wrecked it for all of us. GE has admitted that there are flex freq mods for the Orion that is in the factory, but they will NOT release it, because the fines if a dealer does it again are too high. Sigh

big_guy

Newly Enlightened
Would some of you list a few brands and model numbers that won't be grown out of quickly?

I don't know how far back to go, age wise until TOO much technology is lost. I doubt that I will be able to afford brand new, but possibly one or two years old might be OK for some of the mid price rigs.

I'm starting to become excited about this and am concerned I might jump the gun and buy a rig off eBay or somewhere in spite of wanting to wait for the right rig for me!

Gotta do like Sigmans line!

Must...control...self!!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Big guy, if you just want a basic 2 meter rig for chatting on repeaters, then just about anything from the last 20 years is fine. I've generally used Icom gear but that's just what I'm used to, I'm sure Kenwood etc. are also excellent. Why don't you try to borrow a rig from someone and see how you like it. It's not just a matter of the radio. You may find that the quality of interaction you find on 2 meters is not what you're hoping for.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's a vanity call sign. K9 for the dogs, and ZJ for the model designation of the Jeep (Grand Cherokee) that I do my off roading in. Throw an X in the middle to hold them together, and you have K9XZJ.

lymph

Enlightened
I'm an active ham - almost every evening I operate a little QRP CW on 40 meters, sometimes 20 and 30 meters - 15 when it opens. My rig is an Elecraft K1. My call is AC6XA, but I will be getting a new one (in 7 land) in a couple weeks.

Listen for me on 7.040 and give me a shout. I call CQ at about 25-30 wpm but will QRS or QRQ for anyone.