SF A2: Rechargeables, anyone have success yet?

DDS

Enlightened
Just received my A2 this week and what a great light. I have read in the past that there was a problem finding a rechargeable sysytem that properly functions in this light. Has anyone had any success yet? If so, is it safe?
Thanks! Dave

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif bum information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif

seattlite

Enlightened
"leukos" was able to use 2 "batteryspace.com Powerizer RCR123a 650mAh" branded RCR123's WITHOUT causing any damage to the LED's. Here is the thread if interested: Rechargeable A2's

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned, I have been running my A2 on two batteryspace.com RCR123a batteries with no ill effects. I think I've cycled them 7 times now, the last few times mostly in LED mode. If you try it, it is completely at your own risk. Pull the batteries as soon as the incandescent regulation kicks out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cy

Flashaholic
leukos, thanks for the feedback. off to run some R123's in my A2.

seattlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
leukos, thanks for the feedback. off to run some R123's in my A2.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have both batterystation(protected) and MP(unprotected) branded R123's. I also have the older 4 flat sided A2. The only cells that physically fit in the tube are the MP's. I have yet to run the A2 on the MP's....mainly due to fear.

Cy, if you could, please run some MP's in your A2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,
Richard

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only tried MP's once in my A2 and it got stuck. It ruined the label pulling it out so I didn't experiment with them anymore. The batteryspace "Powerizer" just slip right in. Maybe I had a bad MP.

seattlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
I only tried MP's once in my A2 and it got stuck. It ruined the label pulling it out so I didn't experiment with them anymore. The batteryspace "Powerizer" just slip right in. Maybe I had a bad MP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. I spent a few minutes mic'ng the MP's I bought from you several weeks ago and some of the MP's I bought from AW. One of the MP cells(with label) mic'd in at a rather large OD of 0.658/0.659" The one MP that you sold me without lable mic'd in at 0.654" So, I would agree with you that these 2 MP's with label will NOT fit in the A2's body. However, all my other MP's mic'd in at 0.648/0.649" OD. For comparison, my SF cells mic'd in at 0.651" OD.

So, it does seem like that there is variance in the OD of the MP branded cells.

Richard

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some pictures of a rechargeable A2:

pdrm0021__2_.jpg

pdrm0022__2_.jpg

DDS

Enlightened
leukos: TY for the nice pics. I really like your organized storage case set-up :)...very nice!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leucos,

That's a professional-looking setup you have. Nice work. A few questions:

1. What kind of case is that . . . a Pelican?
2. Where did you get that nifty battery holder?
3. Are you using the Batteryspace charger and cells?
4. If so what do you think of the way the charger works?

I ask because I'm thinking of making such a kit for my A2. I hesitate because of the Batteryspace write-up. I'm not sure I'd be getting what they promise. What particularly bothers me is their ststement about the cell voltage being 3.0 volts. If they're using lithium chemistry, as they claim, it has to be 3.7 volt nominal.

Paul

DDS

Enlightened
HEY PaulW, I'm real close to you in Spencerville, MD. I believe that is a spares carrier from Surefire and a Pelican case. Dave

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,
It's a Pelican 1050 micro case with foam. The battery holder is Surefire's SC3 spares carrier.
I haven't tried the charger from batteryspace, I wasn't too impressed from the reviews. The white thing in my case is the Nano charger I use for these batteries (4.1-4.2 volts). I keep an F05 and F06 filter in there too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
DDS: Thanks. Spencerville, eh? That's not too far from Ashton. You might be interested in Ashton Hardware -- that is if you like to look through boxes of springs (for use in mods). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leucos: Ah. So the charger and filters are in there too. All the sweeter.

Paul