HDS EDC or SF U2 ULTRA????

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I want a led light that has different light outputs. Which light would you rather have or like better???

Better throw? Better Flood? Whiter beam? Ruggedness?

Any input appreciated,
PSM

jtice

Flashaholic
I EDC the U2 and LOVE it.

I also have an Arc4 (very similar to HDS) and like it also,

But I really like the output of the U2 better,
The HDS probably has alittle tighter beam, but the U@ is alot more light, and makes up for that.
Plus with the U2 you have all 6 levels handy at all times.
You arent forced to select only a couploe levels as your primary and secondary levels.

The U2 can also use Bare UNprotected 18650 cells,
which is a VERY nice reason to EDC it, especially if you will use it alot.
I hate using primary 123 cells, so I wouldnt like EDCing the HDS for heavy use.

Ruggedness?
eh, they should be about the same, though I would lean slightly toward the U2.

Whiteness?
Well thats gonna vary, due to the luxeon lotto.
I think though, on average the HDS might be whiter.

Then theres the size differene.
the U2 is alot larger, which may bother you as an EDC, though I dont mind it in my pocket at all.
I do find the U2s larger size , and shape alot easier to handle and use.

Heres my U2 review.
http://www.jtice.com/review/lights/u2/

~john

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
I have U2, HDS EDC U60, and Arc 4. As far as sturdiness is concerned, I would strongly favor SF U2 design. I have dropped both the HDS and Arc and dented the thin bezels many times.The Arc 4 being older and dropped more times will not open to allow lens change. Despite all this my favorite EDC is Surefire-either A2 or L2 depending on need/mood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
jtice,

Mega dittos ........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

The U2 is one hell of a light. Personally I find its size and
ergonomics ( human engineering ) make it very easy and
comfortable to handle. The no nonsense light level control
is easy and simple to use. Being able to use a variety of
rechargeable batteries is a definite plus.

This flash light stuff is intoxicating ........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
I hate using primary 123 cells, so I wouldnt like EDCing the HDS for heavy use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been using a ARC4x with a R123 for a few months and it works great.

I have a U2 with Pila also.

I prefer the ARC 4x over the U2 for EDC because of size.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both please... yes, I do have both so I can say it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Their light ranges overlap in the middle, but both are incredibly useful lights. If you use the lower levels more, go for the HDS, if you need a potent blast of light from a LuxV, go for the U2.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PoliceScannerMan said:
Man I'm stuck, I might have to buy both!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be wise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Travesty I say!! You guys are encouraging this guy down a dusty path that only you have traversed before and only too proud to admit you got in it too far...

Oh man, where did I put my m6? I feel naked without it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Now PoliceScannerMan, make sure you are strapped when you get the HDS and decide to show off the SOS mode a couple of hoodrats... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I personally couldn't believe the output of the U2 so needless to say, I'm impressed, (takes a lot to impress me). I'm getting a traffic cone for mine, and a filter for when I'm in other moods...but far as the U2, You do get what you pay for...I don't have an HDS but figure the only use I'd have is the sos mode...I think to myself "if only they had these when I was working on the flight deck many ages ago"...Seriously though, I wouldn't buy both...unless you really look into it, (I too buy things I don't need sometimes, impulsively, then regret it later, and wind up losing money cause I didn't need it, then also because no one's interested unless it's cheap. If you pm jcciv here or email him, he's an autorised dealer for both... he's also known as lighthound.

Luxman

Enlightened
I completely agree with KevinL's comments...

plus the HDS is very easy to carry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
socom45 said:
Seriously though, I wouldn't buy both...unless you really look into it, (I too buy things I don't need sometimes, impulsively, then regret it later, and wind up losing money cause I didn't need it, then also because no one's interested unless it's cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the king of wasting money on stuff thats cool!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

I like toys, have since I was a kid. I'm only 25 now. I know these are tools, life saving tools. But come on, this site is full of flashaholics!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think that probably 90-99% of members on this site really have more flashlights than they need. But thats isnt what its about, its about doing what you love in life. And to the people on this site flashaholism is what they love.

Plus I can always say, better than buying crack!!

Take care,
PSM

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always wonderful to have toys which double up as tools, or was that tools that double up as toys, uhh, wait, I'm gettin confused here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The day the unbelievers get caught in a blackout while sitting on the toilet with their pants down and find the TP holder empty, they will see the LIGHT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
As most have said, size is a factor. Both light are great. I personally have a U2 and have handled an HDS U60 on several occasions.

Both lights are small in the big picture, but once EDC is thrown in, I want to go as small as possible. The HDS wins in this category. Right now I have a Longbow Micra that rides in a CO-37 holster on my hip, barely notice it, the U2 I have is still awaiting a holster. So you get options, I'll carry the U2 when I wear jeans and a t-shirt. The CO-37 (currently longbow, will get an HDS soon) will be worn with business attire.

socom45

Newly Enlightened
I absolutely love my u2, but at the moment, I'm without a pouch...so I'm conspiring to find a way to get Mitch Rosen to do a custom one for me... (I know it will cost, but then, once it's made, it will last a lifetime).. I've had one done once for an HK usp45 tactical and I was impressed. Would be nice if Surefire put a strobe mode in the U2.

UWAK

Enlightened
Sorry for the off topics guys, but I don't have that lots of $$ for the U2, so is it right to go with the "lower" L2? Thx.

Luxman

Enlightened
Yes, L2 is also a Very Nice Light!
Less throw than the U2, more flood and very bright.
Got one for my wife... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Hehe, I don't know if my reply will help but I'll explain my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I haven't an U2...but I have an Arc4+ rev1 and one Rev2 and HDS Ultimate 60 GT....I could compare if someone accept to trade his U2 with my HDS 60 GT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Frankly, HDS 60 GT is a great enhancement of the ARC4 +, you have 4 levels of light quickly selectable...and it is very small compared to the U2( that I saw only in pictures).

But...I have a Gladius..and I am very happy with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS is indeed a lot smaller than the U2. If you don't have the budget for the U2 and don't need the two-stage switch the L2 has, go for the HDS Basic series. $150 is excellent value and around the L2's price, I'd rather have that over the much longer L2, plus 4 levels of light, rechargeable support and so on - stuff that matters to me.

Never thought I'd see a light good enough to recommend over a SF.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But if you can get it, go for the U2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Still my favorite light after all these months.