Do you ....

Stream

Enlightened
... ever find yourself buying cheapo plastic/rubber incandescent flashlights for no good reason? I sometimes do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif. Am I sick or could there possibly be anything that I could do with these cheap lights that would be worthwhile?

Thanks for any insights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dim

Enlightened
For plastic AA lights, bore/carve out the insides and stuff CR123 batts into it. Make sure you use an appropriate bulb.

dim

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can make some patio lanterns that would be good for about 3 hours.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Other than that I gave up on inexpensive lights long ago, I tore out the bulbs and recycled the rubber after I got my first Surfire.
If you find you start accumulating them, they would make good gifts..

Stream

Enlightened
Dim,
that's a crazy idea. I like it. Have you tried it? Would a cheap plastic light melt? I was thinking maybe putting in a luxeon in a 2D or 2AA light, but this might be a little too much money to waste on a $5 cheapo. Your suggestion sounds better, and cheaper.

Pydpiper,
how would you make the patio lanterns?
On what occasions do you think a $5 cheapo light would make a good gift?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stream said:

Pydpiper,
how would you make the patio lanterns?
On what occasions do you think a $5 cheapo light would make a good gift?

[/ QUOTE ]

Patio Lanterns.. Well, you could use a pre-existing set from Wall Mart and replace the plastic "lanterns" with assorted cheap plastic flashlight bodies(gutted). I think that would be quite entertaining. Around here it would be quite fitting, everyone that knows me would take one look, shake their heads (as they always do when it comes to my lights) and move on. The initial post I made was an attempt at humor at the cost of a big string and some duct tape, but has manifested its self into another project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
The alternitive is to have a few extras around to give away. When my kids get playing around they have their own and treat them somewhat responsabaly, but when their friends, cousins, etc. come around it is always nice to have a few lights handy to hand out, that way when they come back empty handed, as they often do, I don't have to send the dog out on the trail.
Also, I am one of those people who never pass a broken down car, I carry most things nessasary to give a meaningful hand, they too would be top contenders for a gift, everyone has to start somewhere.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
There is no such things as too many lights, but when the sun goes down it isn't likly you'll reach for $2 plastic light, but that doesn't mean they don't have a use.
I only stopped buying them due to the perception my wife was getting, somehow, in her eyes spending a hundred dollers or more every now-and-then is better than a few cheap ones more often, works for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We are still on topic here right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stream, I have done that a few times when I was looking for hosts for my mods, now I stick to the conventional Mag for
my hosts

Stream

Enlightened
Okay, thanks for all the input, guys. I'm starting to get a picture of what I want to do, but I still have a few questions though.
What bulb would you use, will it burn out if it's any less than 9 volts? Where do you buy bulbs? I live in Norway, and stores here have absolutely NO selection of ANYTHING, so I would most likely have to buy from an online store that will ship to Norway. Also, how do you "sputter" a reflector?

Pydpiper wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I am one of those people who never pass a broken down car, I carry most things nessasary to give a meaningful hand...

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course, you're Canadian... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've forced myself out of that bad habit. Now I'd rather save for a year and get a good (and very expensive) light than many cheap ones of marginal quality. I try to also do that with camping gear.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The plastic / rubber coated flashlights are not too bad if upgraded with a LED PR2 base vulb.
Try the PR2-W1-WVR LED FlashLight bulb from superbrightleds. The rest of the bulbs on that page are crap.
The luxeon based bulbs are too pricey. A $40 everled in a dollarama light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

My problem is the metal flashlights with that tiny T-1 bulb. I cannot find an upgrade path for them.

I have a big box of lights i have retired as i find something better. Plus a lot more sitting on my dresser. At least those are loaded with batteries.

But surprise surprise the 2 most often used lights are:
This plastic light with a Tectite LPR-113 luxeon LED replacement bulb.
This rubber light with the superbrightleds bulb mentioned earlier.

My good lights
Rebranded Nuwai ALX-1113A
2AA Dorcy 1 watt
Hardly get used.

[EDIT]
OOPS! Stream I did not notice you are from Norway 1st time around.
superbrightleds has a $25 minimum order for international customers.
The LPR-113 is for 4 cell flashlights only. For 2 cell flashlights order the LPR-2.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Stream said:
... ever find yourself buying cheapo plastic/rubber incandescent flashlights for no good reason? I sometimes do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif. Am I sick or could there possibly be anything that I could do with these cheap lights that would be worthwhile?

Thanks for any insights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless I plan to issue them to other people or give them away. One interesting idea that occured to me : The Rayovac 2D Industrial light with stippled reflector can house 3 C cells and drive a resistored 10mm LED. If you align the LED and pot it into place, the stippled reflector could give you a good beam. I was planning to try this project but I think I killed my 10mm by mistake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I figure that eventually I will only have a finite amount of space, ability to carry, and use lights. So I stick with the best too as has been said by some other posters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif No point buying the lights to satisfy itchy fingers and then leave them on a shelf forevermore.

Jefff

Enlightened
Yeah like stated above.. Not really anymore.... after finding this place and actually owning the other ones.. I have sort of a different feeling now when out shopping at local stores.. Wishing they actually had better ones instead of the cheapo ones..

Techmedic

Enlightened
Use your kids as an excuse to buy yet another nifty el-cheapo light???

Duh... of Course!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Why do you think I have kids?

So I can play too!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif