QIII Switch Not Working

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
The switch on my QIII is not working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

I took apart a few days ago, I put it back together yesterday and now it doesn't work. Everything else works so I know it must be the switch. I took apart today, but I don't see anything visually worng with it. I have the two stage QIII switch from milkyspit. I sent him a PM, I hope he replies since he hasn't been around in a few weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
I'm thinking that maybe the switch simply failed/went bad.
or

Could something have shorted out? Any thoughts?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

attowatt

Enlightened
do you have a ohmmeter to check switch for continuity?

Jim

edited in: you might also check the solid silver(chrome)wire that is soldered on ckt board. This is the one that makes a pressure fitting against the housing when ckt board is seated. I dont have a milkyspit switch, as i modded my own and have found this wire to come loose(cold solder joint) on ckt board, even though it looks secure

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
That wire fell off!

The one soldered here, right:

s6.jpg

I put in a small piece of wire, but I don't know if I soldered it on correctly.

EDIT: I took the picture after the wire fell off.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of these switches left that I use for modding them
two stage. Email me.

Vbeez

Enlightened
How to split the switch apart ? Is there a spring inside that switch ? Mine, a bit hard to press.

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Vbeez said:
How to split the switch apart ? Is there a spring inside that switch ? Mine, a bit hard to press.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vbeez,

Take a pair of needle nose pliers and "straddle" the spring that makes contact with negative side of battery. There are 2 slots on clear plastic thread here, unscrew ccw.

The pressure fitting spring(looks like an inverted V) wire I mentioned in earlier post can be seen clearly in these pictures, along with 10 ohm resistor soldered in for 2 stage. I also applied a little more solder to reinforce this spring wire.

Hope this helps,
Jim

That piece of wire(inverted V) sticking out makes contact with side wall of tailcap
dsc010399er.jpg

Extra solder applied to reinforce wire on circuit board
dsc010408ts.jpg

10 ohm resistor soldered in for 2 stage
dsc010415iw.jpg