Whats the name of that music

bhds

Enlightened
playing in the background of "CNN Presents" this weekend? Its the episode about extra-terrestrial life. I know nothing about classical music and havent a clue as to describe it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
I didn't watch it. Typically, though, that type of show wouldn't necessarily use classical music. Most often they use what's often called new age music, which can include meditation, ambient, electronic synth, or environmental music.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Haven't heard it eiter but it's usually some packaged music made by a company that specializes in TV background themes. I have sample CDs from several of those companies.

bhds

Enlightened
No /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Its only one instrument. Sounds like one of those big bass instruments that stand up or something similiar to that. I have heard it before and it always kind of caught my fancy. Gonna have to see if its playing again and try to record it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Does it sound "synthy?" Some of the stuff that CNN uses seems to be cooked up on the spot on a synth. The main giveaway is that a lot of their brass instruments sound thin and Casio-ish.

bhds

Enlightened
Okay. If anyone is still interested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Its "Prelude" from Bachs Cello Suite in G major. I am definitely not a classical music fan but that "tune" has been stuck in my head because I had heard it before but couldnt place it (I also like it a lot). It was featured in the movie "Master and Commander"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Oh... it's REAL music. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Glad you finally Id'd it.

Imagine what would have happened if the masters had access to a full-blown polyphonic synth and multitrack recording in their day.