New 8LED/One AA light is twice as bright

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a China 12LED/1 AA (Grey Ghost ?), and an 8LED/1 AA light awhile back.

Both were nice little inexpensive lights, but the LEDs were fairly dim, perhaps 8 LEDs would equal two Infinity Ultras.

I just received six new 8LED/1 AA lights from http://www.lighthound.com/, and was very surprised to find them more than twice as bright as the old ones.

The old ones came close to matching the brightness of My Gerber Trio. The new ones OBLITERATE the Trio beam now.

I compared the lights to my Streamlight 3AA Lux Task Light, and the 8LEDs almost match the brightness of the one watt. Quite a difference.

Another change; the new lights take the AA backwards, positive end "last" as you insert it. Hmm.

And another VERY unexpected change: the emitted light does not have that angry blue of the old ones. The beam is a very nice WHITE color on every one of the six lights !

I am perplexed by this HUGE difference, perhaps they have switched suppliers of 5mm LEDs, or are driving them harder, or both.

I have ten more coming in (from another supplier, quantity deal) and I sure hope these are as insanely bright.

charliek

Enlightened
I agree- I bought a 1 AA light from lighthound last week- I just had it out camping this weekend- great walking light- and a great tent light-

I just ordered a few more- I'm pleased with the lights and with lighthound.

LowWorm

Enlightened
Thanks for the info on these, all...I would never have thought to consider these lights, and it helps to know how they perform.

JohnK or charliek - do either of you have any informal runtime info on the lights? Are they semi-regulated?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look under "Keychain Lights".

How is the beam?
I am generally not fond of recessed LED's, because they tend to have a narrow-ish beam. I tried the Peak 7-LED, and though bright and high-quality, the beam was a wide circle with rapid cutoff a the edges.

Bob

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't done a run time.

The beam is a medium flood, and a bright sucker. Still can't believe the difference in old vs. new.

These are so durn WHITE too.

I have a zillion single/multiple 5 mm LED lights. These are the only ones I have found to be good and white.

The tail cap has a crosshair shaped copper colored contact for the positive nipple. The spring for negative is inside the light behind the LEDs. Never seen one this way.

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
Hi JohnK. Many thanks for for your post on the 8LED/1AA lights from www.lighthound.com . These have to be the best
value/$ to date. Also must say the service from Lighthound left me astounded. In less than 4 days - placed order late at night, next day got an email saying he was out of one (body) color and offered instant refund or another color. Sent answer and got fast and most polite response. My order was in the mail box this morning (Saturday) Very well packed AND with an extra free micro-light. Like the man said, "Folks, it just don't get any better than this".

Thanks again JohnK

Outrider

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vely intelesting!
Looks like the Chinese finally figured out it's how bright a flashlight is, not the # of LEDs that sell it.

Bought a 6LED 2AA light from Walmart Canada. Labelled 'North49' by importer 'Famous name brand'. Not as bright as my 20 lumen Aqualed but much brighter than my 12 lumen Terralux TLE-10. Lumens calculated from Flashlightreviews.com' total output #s.

Ordered and waiting for a 7x7mm 3AAA from Emillion here. (While checking the link noticed the stock has gone to zero, CPFers must have cleaned him out.)
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/third/7mmflite.htm
measured a cool quater million mcd.

Does anybody know if the 5LED AA light is also updated? The head looks less lumpy, more suitable for pocket use. Oh well I guess I could do the CPF thing and buy both. Buying both is still less than 1/3 the price of the ChromeStar or Arc AAA-P or Peak Matterhorn Ultra.

billgr

Newly Enlightened
i got the 7x7mm led light last week.......VERY bright.

BUT........the tail switch is very finicky. i need the push on using the edge of the rubber button in order for it to light. 7mm are awesome led's........but dont count on this light for an emergency.......just not reliable enough!!

See my post below about great cust. service /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am so impressed with the "new" Xnova 1 AA/8 LED, I've got 10 more ordered from Emillion.

I HOPE they are the "new" variety.

He's got them marked at $ 4.00 apiece or 10 for $ 38.00 + shipping. (I missed the price cut, got them for 42/10)

I remember how dim my one and only ARC LS was. This light beats the snot out of that one.

Where can you find a REALLY bright, great gift for four bucks? The threads, and general workmanship are superb. Cheap AA's.

Does anybody know what LEDs they are using in this one ?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My guess is they are putting one notch better LEDs in the brighter ones mentioned here. Probably the dimmer xnovas have 8k-10kmcd LEDs and the brighter ones are using 10-14kmcd ones.

I put my dorcy AAA away for one of Emilions xnova AAs and I may try to put some new LEDs in one or a 5LED AAA xnova soon to EDC instead.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
Look under "Keychain Lights".

[/ QUOTE ]Ah. I was looking under "Low Cost Chinese lights".

[ QUOTE ]
[iLynx_arc said:[/i]Probably the dimmer xnovas have 8k-10kmcd LEDs and the brighter ones are using 10-14kmcd ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd guess 23,000 mcd, like my 19-LED Quake II and 21-LED MEK, each a 2x123A that sells for about $7. I'm fairly sure that the 12-LED Ghost II (1AA) also uses 23K mcd LEDs.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't have either lights to compare. Someone with a ghost II could compare it. My guess still stands they are using cheaper LEDs because the 26ks I got were not pretty when it comes to beams.

billgr

Newly Enlightened
Emillion customer service

i contacted emillion about my finicky tail switch on the 7x7mm light i bought...... he's sending a free replacement to me and testing it first (see my above post)

thats great service......THANKS emillion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif :

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Emillion customer service

as per your reviews, i've ordered 4 flashlights the 7x7 and the xnova from emillion. the 7x7 is out of stock though, but it's better than paying 5.00 for only ordering 1 item. i also ordered the 8led and a police titaniam xenon with compass for 12.49. one you can adjust. any word on that light? from light hound

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast

what's up with emillion? in the time i placed an order from emillion and lighthound, i've received 3 emails from lighthound confirming my order and have given me a tracking number already. i've yet to hear from emillion about my order. not even an automatic response. nada

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
senecaripple said:
what's up with emillion? in the time i placed an order from emillion and lighthound, i've received 3 emails from lighthound confirming my order and have given me a tracking number already. i've yet to hear from emillion about my order. not even an automatic response. nada

[/ QUOTE ]
I got 2 emails plus the paypal notification. Emillion was missing 2nd half of July. I saw a post he was sick with a bad fever. He has just started posting in the Dealer's forum again.
Send him an e-mail just in case your order fell through the cracks.