Pelican m6 3w (vs) Inova Xo3 - beamshots please?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone please take a beamshot of a Pelican m6 3w against an Inova Xo3?

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am afraid it doesnt... it only has the m6 led. My post says m6 3w.

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pelican m6 3w (vs) Inova Xo3 - beamshots pleas

I don't recall the M6 having a 3W LED - unless you mean the Bug Out Gear 3W drop-in which works in that and the Surefire lights. In that case, you should get a similar beam to that of any Surefire equipped with a BOG 3W module.

dim

Enlightened

I can't directly compare the "M6 III", since I don't own one, to the XO3. However, from the input I got from this thread, I got an XO3 (B/S/T). I usually don't EDC it as, for me, it is more of a mission specific flashlight, but for that mission, medium throw of about 25-75 feet, it's a fine flashlight. It's a bit bright and, with its optics, a bit tight with little (but some) spill for close work, but a fair sized spot for that 25-75 foot range that really lights up the area.

dim

rookie

Enlightened

The Pelican M6 3W is currently a Battery Station exclusive. Later on, Pelican will make it a standard item.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOH! What the?... you guys didnt know about the light or what? I still would like some beamshots please.

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahh... the Battery Station one. Now I remember the thread - I'd still expect more throw out of the X03 due to the TIROS optic, with a very ringy spill, what there is of it. The M6 LED should have a far better flood, though you'll lose some throw due to the less spotlike nature of the light.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know that the Xo3 wont beat it by much, in fact, I think the m6 3w has better throw... but thats what I want to find out. The m6 led is close in throw to the xo3, imagine a stronger lux III LED.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone have both of these lights?

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

great, I cant wait... which looks brighter to you? (throw wise)

-David

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I have a Chop modded KL3 with what I believe is a PM6 orange peal reflector.

I do not have an Xo3, but do have an Xo 1w. The 3w in the OP reflector is very near perfection. Nice spot with fantastic flood!

I have to believe that you'd like a clickie too, rather than a push/twist.

Get the PM6!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wasnt wondering which I should buy, I just wanted to see how the PM6 3w throws so that I'll know if I should get it, and since there is no review on flashlightrevies yet, the only way to tell is to compare it to another light like the xo3.

-David

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

David from what I've seen you keep buying up mid grade LED throwers and then want to upgrade correct? Have you considered just saving your money for a little bit and then buying a high end light? I know it may seem foolish as a flashoholic to say have less lights, but you also have to consider witch light is higher quality, better, and brighter. I hear that a lioncub with a lion head throws exactly like a luxIII mag in a much smaller package.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

David, thesurefire is right...why don't you just get a custom light and call it a day? Like a McGzmo Aleph2 or 3, with the option to run a LuxV or LuxIII, at lots of current and reflector options, might save you some time poking around..

wtraymond

Enlightened

Here they are!

First the XO3 in a dark room with the lowest setting on the camera at about 15ft. It may not appear so, but these lights really light up a room. The camera is turned way down.
xo3inside.jpg

Now the Pelican M6-HA3 from the Battery Station in the same room at 15ft and same camera settings. Notice that you can seen more detail in the side spill.
PM6HA3inside.jpg

Now a head-to-head outside, on my garage at about 40ft with the XO3 on the left. Again the camera is turned down to prevent wash-out - it's a cheap 1.3Mpixel.
PM6HA3vsXO3.jpg

The Pelican has a tighter hotspot, slightly better throw, more side spill, and a much whiter tint than the XO3. It currently costs $99+shipping from the Battery Station. It's got a great natural HA3 finish and a premium reflector. It has a standard polycarb lens. It's regulated and will run on 2 CR123s or a 17670/Pila 168S without modification (I've found AW's protected 17670s fit well). The threads on the tail cap are a bit rough and the clickie has a very light click that is IMHO too soft. I've noticed that if you screw the tail cap on a bit too tight, the light won't work at all leaving you bewildered. The knurling on the body is the best I've seen with lots of grip. This light gets HOT if left on unattended for more than 5 minutes - WOW hot!

The Inova is built like a tank and costs about $55+shipping ($45 less than the Pelican). It too runs on 2 CR123s but I've been unable to fit protected cells in this light without modification (unprotected 17670s fit well). I've heard that a Pila 168S will fit if the outer wrapper is removed but I cannot confirm this. RCR123s are also not recommended as the regulator can handle only about 7v max.
This light does not got as hot as the Pelican and I suspect it's because the emitter is not driven as hard in the Inova. The body of the XO3 is plain and smooth and even the knurling on the tail cap provides little grip. The threads on the tail cap are very smooth. It's about 3/4" longer than the Pelican. It has a AR coated mineral lens and a tough stainless steel bezel.

Overall, I believe the Pelican to be a superior product, but $45 better??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I prefer to buy factory lights for now, until I have them all, then I'll go to the high-end custom lights.
Also, WTRAYMOND, thanks for the pics and the review.

-David

Longbow

Enlightened

No brainer...get an Inova T3...or a Streamlight Tasklight 2L...or ect. ect.