Well known, but seldom talked about

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened
I have both, but have never done a head to head comparison. I have to work tonight, but will try to run one tommorrow night, as I have Wed. off this week. They are both very good lights, but the litebox is in a category of its own. I don't know how valid the comparison will be, as the Vulcan is a spot, and my Litebox has a flood bulb.
Til tommorrow,
SCOTT
grin.gif

recercare

Enlightened
Scott: Thanks! It will be very helpful to know the difference between these two lanterns. By the way, do you have a Maglite (or infact any flashlight) to compare with as well?

Brock

Flashaholic
Just as a note the Lightbox comes in 8w spot, 20w flood, and 20w spot. I thought they had a 8w flood? The 20w spot must be pretty bright
smile.gif

recercare

Enlightened
Streamlight Vulcan and Litebox are well known for most people in this forum. However, I've seen few pictures and reviews, and what about general comparisons to other lanterns? Does anyone in this forum actually own Vulcan and Litebox? It would be interesting to compare the Vulcan (8W) to Surefire 8NX or Vulcan(3W) to Mag 3D. How about comparing Litebox 20W with SL25X?

Some streamlights do have dark rings, what about Litebox and Vulcan?

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened
Here's the results. The lights were shined on a empty house 200 ft, (61 meters) from my house.
Litebox w/8 watt flood: Illuminated both back yards, and the the back of the empty house with a gentle, but extremely useable glow. I am told that the 20W spot is very dramatic.

Vulcan: Lit both the back yards dimly, lit the back of the house adequately, and had a bright spot about the size of the basement door.

UltraStinger:Lit the whole back of the house brilliantly, with very nice illumination of the back yards. The bright spot is about the size of a garage door.

3D Mag-Lite: Lit back of house, with bright spot about 1 square meter. Batteries are about half used, so the bright spot was not that dramatic.

Pelican SuperPeliLight: Rod like beam of light with a hot spot very similar to that of the Vulcan. There was almost no illumination to the sides.

SureFire M3: An almost perfect duplicate of the UltraStinger

SureFire M4: Illuminates about the same area as the U/S, or the M3, but much brighter.

SureFire 8NX: Full illumination of the back of the house, with no bright spot at that distance. Navigable light levels between my house and the empty one. Light is still on the charge the light had when it left the factory in Sept., so I don't know if it will be brighter after a few charges.

Stinger XT, SuperStinger,Scorpion, and SureFire E2: Very similar to the 8NX.

Hope this helps.
Question for recercare: When my great grandfather came over from Christiania in 1900, he changed the family name from Bjornrud to Olson. Family legend has it that it was because Norway is full of Bjornruds, and he wanted to have a less common name in the new world. So he moved to a county in Wisconsin where there are 27,000 people, and 100 listings for Olson in the phone book, and 0 Bjornruds. Are the woods full of Bjornruds over there?

recercare

Enlightened
Thank you Scott. Ultrastinger and Litebox are obviously great! Litebox has the long run time while Ultrastinger the light weight.

I chose Magcharger. The Ultrastinger costs 600$ more in Norway. The Ultrastinger is a little brighter according to other threds here....but is the difference worth 600$ ? I doubt it.
smile.gif

On to your question: Bjørnrud is not common in Norway according to Statistics Norway.

Matches:
34 Bjønrud
154 Bjørnsrud

Here are the most common:
60973 Hansen
56190 Olsen
55725 Johansen
41484 Larsen
40367 Andersen

Notice the difference between Olson and Olsen. Olson refers to the time when Norway and Sweden were one/united. After Norway got independent in 1905 people began using Olsen instead.

Numbers

Enlightened
Scott T B
Very useful info. thanks.
Just received my ultra stinger and wanted the 8AX next. Could you update your 8NX performance after it has been cycled through the charger a few times. (my US on the factory charge it came with was significantly less bright than after being cycled through the charger a couple of times). Thanks again.