Looking for recommendations on a <$20 led f. light

AndyD

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any? Don't really know much about flashlights. Just need something that will get the job done when working with pcs and other tasks around the house. Looking for something small - pocket sized.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Looking for recommendations on a <$20 led f. l

Go into a local Walmart or Target and look for either the Dorcy AAA 1 LED (smaller and around $6) or Dorcy AA 3 LED (a bit bigger but brighter and uses a better value battery- still quite small, around $10). These lights are decent quality for the price and will surely be sufficient for any close range tasks like those that you mentioned.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have a dorcy and recently got a few xnova 8LED AAs, 5LED AAAs and although they are not tremendously brighter they have a nicer wider flood beam easier to read by and requires less moving around. I also recommend looking into an LED headlamp for working on things, a single headband 3AAA is what I like for light use as they are more comfortable.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

You chose a great time to be looking at under-$20 lights. That seems to be a sweet spot for 1W and 3W Luxeon and Luxeon-clone LED lights, especially those from "Emilion's Workshop" in the Dealers section of these forums.

If you don't plan to get into lights in a big way, stick with a light that uses AA cells. If you do expect to acquire more lights, go straight to 3V CR123A cells at $1 to $1.50 apiece by Web...or 3.7V lithium-ion rechargeable "RCR123A" cells, at $3 to $7 apiece.

I've found that my weaker 1AA 5LED to 2AA 16LED lights aren't bright enough for fixing PCs. Things start to change when using my 2.4V 19LED (Quake II) or 21LED (MEK) light (2 x CR123A). Each is available from SZWholesale.com for about $7 plus shipping plus cells. I've read that the MEK can use 3.7V rechargeables, virtually doubling its brightness to about 800 mcd (millicandella). I'll find out in a couple weeks.

Or head down to Target and pick up a Brinkmann Maxfire LX incandescent, with glass lens, for $16, 2 CR123A cells included. (not available in all Targets)

For fixing PCs, avoid twistie switches; you'll probably have only one hand available, and most twisties require two hands.

davidra

Enlightened

Well, I would go to Wallyworld, but for $18 you can get the new Dorcy Metal Gear 1 watt Luxeon that runs on AAA's (unless you want to get into using 123 batteries). Just picked one up for my son to take to college. Just look at the business end and pick one with a well-centered LED. Metal body, decent clip and uses a reflector and not a lens. Great light for the money.

Longstreet

Newly Enlightened
Not sure how small "pocket size" is for you, but I would enthusiastically second davidra's choice. Just picked up one of the Metal Gear 3AA 1W LED lights, and it is darned impressive for the price. Good output with cheap batteries, nice styling, well-made, Dorcy's seem to be pretty durable...what's not to like? With tax I paid $20.34.

I like this light enough that it replaced my TT2L for EDC. Went back to WalMart, found two more good ones and put them on lay-away for my two oldest boys.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I'll third the Metal Gear. Very few complaints have I read about tint, and mine is white! 8+ hour burn time has been noted as well.

AndyD

Newly Enlightened

kk thanks for the suggestions guys!! looks like i'll be checking into that dorcy metal gear then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif anyone know of an online site where i can order one? No Walmarts in Manhattan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I may go next weekend if anything but would rather not make the trip if I don't have to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matthewdanger

Enlightened

The Princeton Tec Attitude is a nice light for <20 bucks. There are some nice deales on them right now in the BST forum. Also, The Dorcy 1AAAs are great little lights. The Streamlight TwinTask 1L can be had for less than 20 bucks as well.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Another vote for the PT Attitude. Maybe not quite pocketable, but a great all-round light otherwise, especially if you think you need waterproof. It might be almost too bright for really close-up work, though. For those jobs have a Dorcy AAA on hand.

Geoff

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want Best Quality... & Good Color Rendering.. think of Peak AAA 1 LED High Power ($35) but will have atleast 20 Hours of Runtime...

Dorcy AAA 1 LED will also be a good

If you can near up to $20 ... think about a Photon Freedom Max

http://www.szwholesale.com/ ... Check these for cheap LED Lights... Purple Blueish White... but will serve the purpose. Range form $1 to $7 (max)

My Recomendation is Peak 1 LED High Power AAA Light...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AndyD said: when working with pcs and other tasks around the house. Looking for something small - pocket sized.

[/ QUOTE ]
The recommendation for the Dorcy 1AAA @ less than $6 from WalMart is really good. It is truly pocketable and bright for its size. Ever since I bought one I've EDC'd it -
Please take a look at this thread -
Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

A keyring type coin-cell LED light - of the Photon 2 and Inova Microlight type is also well worth considering - as it's likely to be always on one's person. Clones can be had for as low as $1... check out CPF member/dealer Emilion's Workshop and one can get different Color LEDs

I find that these LED lights "bright enough" for most of my close personal tasks - but I am used to and prefer lower level lighting - some may prefer brighter lights.

A single CR123 1watt Luxeon light might suit - there is one that is just over $20 including shipping and insurance that a I like a lot. That's the S1801 from GoldenGadgets.com if it is purchsed from them on eBay at the $12 BuyItNow price with $8 shipping +$1.50 mandatory insurance.....

Bargain LEDs

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check the hardware section at Sears. They carry a large section of Dorcy lights under the Dorcy and Craftsman names. Both stores in Hamilton have the Dorcy 1AAA 1led. They cost a little bit more (about $10US) If you use your flashlight a lot, there is also the Dorcy 2AA 1led, 4AA 1led, and Craftsman 5led 3 level. These last 3 are too BIG for a pocket though.

For maglights the 2 AAA is smaller than the 2AA and comes with a pocket clip. There are no good and cheap LED upgrades for it though. The solitaire is too dim to be useful.

Check out
http://www.pocketlights.com/flashlights.asp
The Gerber infinity ultra, sonic, Inova X1, and UK 2AAA eled are all under $20.

If you already have a 2 cell flashlight with a PR2 bulb try the PR2-W1-WVR LED FlashLight bulb from superbrightleds. The rest of the bulbs on that page are crap. The picture on the PR2-W1-WVR LED FlashLight bulb should give you some idea if you have a compatible flashlight. Also make sure the flashlight has positive polarity - the +ve end of the battery goes to the base of the bulb. Most flashlights with the batteries and bulb in a straight line are OK but lots of camping/area lanterns are wired backwards.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're going to poke around in a PC I've found that both the Stylus and Stylus Reach work well. The Stylus now comes with a rubber boot you can put on the tip that also acts as an insulator. I've used both for a couple of years and they're great.

-LT

Latest posts