what do i bring to college?

Reptilezs

Enlightened
well its going to be my first year in college this year. ill be living in a temporary triple but i have the option to stay if i like my roommates. the room is meant for 2 people. so with that in mind what do i bring? space really is a premium, at freshman orientation i was in a triple for the overnight stay and the only storage space is a few drawers in my desk. the beds cant really be raised up to put stuff under them due to the bed configuration(1 bunk bed and 1 loft with a dresser and desk under it). if you guys have any other college tips, info, whatever feel free to reply. o i know what your thinking flashlights! i have a few lights but they are incans. i have 2 2aa brinkmann legends, a 2aa minimag, and a mag solitare.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coffee machine, your cell if you have one, bottle and good headphones!
If you think you'll need a flashlight, I think an infinity ultra would be best.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reptilez,

Wishing you much success with your college experience.

I'm sending my oldest (19 yrs) off, in two weeks, to Ball State Univ., in Muncie, IN.

I bought this light Derringer
as it seems to have a lot of features for a student in a room with others.

His Mother is worried about all the rest of the details!

jeffb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple rolls of quarters for laundry machines.

In a friendly way, establish your study habits early so your roomies know you are a serious student then find alternate locations for studying when needed.

turbodog

Flashaholic
beer, lots of beer

but really now

A decent footlocker will allow you to store stuff right out in the open. It can also double as a chair to sit on, a table, etc.

Once we sent the bed back to housing and slept on an air mattress that we stood up against a wall during the day. Made tons of difference in the space available.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Avoid halogen desk lamps. Many dorm fires have been started by these because they run so hot and have a tendency to a'splode if bumped when running. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
right now in college, i usually use my infinity ultra as reading light. that way my roomate can sleep while i can read or do other stuff. The infinity ultra really sucks all of the juice out of the battery.
I also use my brinkman maxfire if need be. every once and a while we will go on a hike and i'll use that.

for a knife(if your college allows it) some sort of a multi tool would help.

bring pictures of your friends and families, I also brought my year books, but you may not have enough room for it.

you definitely need an alarm clock.

i find that it is always nice to have a little bit of extra food around. bring a small box of microwaveable popcorn, or buy some chips.

remember that if you forget something, you can usually buy it on or off campus.

good luck

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hardest thing to do in a dorm is get a decent night's sleep. It will be even harder with 3 in the room. Someone is always coming in really late and someone else always has to be up for an early class. So you can count on having someone moving around in your room making noise and turning on lights while you are trying to get some sleep. And of course there is always a party going on across the hall. So my advice is to bring and sleep with foam ear plugs and wear a sleep mask so you can sleep through as much of that stuff as possible and maybe even stay awake in class. BTW, coffee is not a substitute for sleep in the long run.

I always had roommates that would let their alarm go off for like 5 minutes every morning. In that case, you will need a gun and at least one bullet.

Also, try to get the loft bed that is not shared. If you sleep in the bunk bed, you will feel it every time your bunk mate rolls over, etc. and it will probably wake you up. And no matter how much you like your 2 roommates, don't volunteer to remain a triple. You can still be friends from down the hall. Probably much better friends.

You will probably need to bring your own telephone and it may be handy to have an answering machine unless they have voice mail there (likely) or you will use your mobile phone to stay connected. As far as storage, just get some cheap plastic stackable crates or drawers from Walmart or Home Depot to increase your storage. For dorm living you want it to be light and cheap because you will be moving often. You may want to wait until you see your exact set-up and the space you have available to put storage containers (have a measuring tape). But you may be out of the triple within a week of moving in, so don't blow all your money setting up there. There are always a certain number of students who just don't show up for school at all for whatever reason, and they will move some students out of triples into those spaces pretty quickly.

Obviously you need your clothes, school supplies, backpack/bookbag. A student's lifestyle is very mobile and very outdoors. It will be good to have a hat, sunglasses, umbrella, a versatile jacket and shoes/boots for foul weather depending on your climate from now through mid-December. It would be nice to have something for organizing papers, such as a box to hold files (the desk may have a drawer for this). I used to rely on my bike to get around campus and around town, but most people walked. If you take your bike, don't forget a quality lock and a helmet. As for other stuff, keep it simple. If in doubt, don't bring it. You can always borrow one, get it later or have it shipped to you.

Good luck and have fun (but study first!)

Geologist

Enlightened
Never underestimate the value of MILKCRATES -not the imitation ones at WAllyWorld, but the real ones. You can
1) Sit on them (1, 2 or 3 high).
2) Stand on them (1 or 2 high) or even 1 for each foot.
3) They make great pedestals, foot rests, and small tables (put a piece of ardboard on top so everything stays level.
4) You can carry stuff in them when you move.
5) Stacked on their sides, they make great modular shelving (lash them togther).

Even my parents confiscated many of mine when they relized their value.

That was a few years ago..........

Oh and stay in college as long as possible (good idea though to keep getting degrees..). It will be the best time of your life.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Geologist said:
Oh and stay in college as long as possible (good idea though to keep getting degrees..). It will be the best time of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, just had to add one counterpoint to this:

It can also be the worst of times.

Someone shoot me on full automatic with a belt of .50 caliber rounds if I ever decide to go back. Make sure it's a LONG belt ("whole nine yards" comes to mind).

Won't bore you folks with the details.

matthewdanger

Enlightened
One of the most valuable things I used in dorm life was one of those rubbermaid type bathroom caddies. You can get all of your stuff to and from the bathroom/shower and keep it organized to save space.

A cell phone can be great, especially if your collage charges what mine did for long distance.

If you don't have a debit card get one!

A small lock box is nice to have for locking up valuables. I got one that was a little bigger than a shoebox inside. It was great for sensitive documents and such.

I used a multitool all the time.

Somesort of storage solution like Yaffa blocks or milk crates are worth their weight in gold. Also look into those hangers that can hang multiple articles of clothing neatly on each one. It is all about space saving!

Don't forget the quarters! Pictures of family and friends are nice to have. Bring an alarm clock with battery backup.

College can be a lot of fun and you will never regret furthering your education. Enjoy!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I stayed in the dorm and have stayed off campus in a rent house and prefer rent houses with roommated compared to dorms. In dorms you tend to share the same larger room but in rent houses you have a seperate room and a kitchen and bathroom/shower.

If you stay in the dorm get a small fridge when you have room and a microwave oven so you can store cold drinks and some food when you need more time to study and don't care for lousy cafeteria food. I recommend also either comfortable stereo headphones or a table/desk you can put close to your bed so you can use music to drown out a lot of excess noise from roommates and dorm rowdies.

Change the bulb in the ceiling to a low wattage one and use table and stand lamps to light the room so if someone comes in late they wont blind the room with the overhead light.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coathangers are the key to instant popularity on moving day. Everyone arrives and says "darn it, I don't have any coathangers".

Geologist

Enlightened
Oh - something to think about after you meet your roomates. Work out a discreet system / plan if you plan to entertain "guests" and might want some privacy. You never want to be interupted when it might be not the best time....
Some worked out a system to put a note on the door with some secret code, etc.

Also, having a way to lock your door (various coat hanger arrangements between the knob and the lock lever come to mind) to prevent resident advisors from just barging in is also a plus....

Oh the memories.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, the secret code. We always had one that was well understood by all. But I don't remember ever actually needing it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Geologist

Enlightened
One time, we figured out the secret code of our next door neighbors (you can't share your code with other neighbors!). Anyway, we removed their secret signal and while roomie #1 was very busy entertaining a guest, roomie #2 came back to the room and VOILA! Oh the mayhem that followed....

I am laughing again just thinking about it....

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
A cell phone with a good calling plan is nice. I dont even have a real phone in my dorm, I just use the cell.

I usually use one of those nalogene water bottles for water. that way I can just get the water from the sink and put it in the fridge to keep it nice and cold.

If you are bringing a laptop, get a cable to secure it to your desk when you are away. and also make sure you use passwords on it to keep it safe. I came back to my computer after class and turned it on only to find out that my friend had changed the windows password and locked me out of my own computer! I learned from my experience, now I use the password on the BIOS thing also. (there is a way to get around the standard windows log in screen with XP)

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
offroadcmpr said:
or a knife(if your college allows it) some sort of a multi tool would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

knife? if it's allowed?

holy crap, have things changed that much?

We used to bring guns (rifles/shotguns/pistols) to campus. You could leave them in your car or the campus PD would provide a free private locker (available 24/7) for you. No questions asked.

FWIW, our campus PD was one of the few that actually carried guns themselves though.

Geologist

Enlightened
Wow - in the state where I went to university, state laws prohibit firearms or ammunition on state property period.

Enlightened
A budget and work ethic. I never met anyone in college who had "spare change". Learn to buy stuff on sale, drink cheap, don't use a cell phone unless needed.
Learn to be at class everyday, you'll have to when you start work. Remember why you are there.

I'm with KevinL, I did not enjoy college as much as many that I knew, must have been the pressure to suceed. I still have nightmares where I think I'm not going to graduate.

Good Luck and remember they don't put your GPA on your diploma. A doctor once told me "you know what they call the guy that graduated at the bottom of my class???? Doctor"
Chris