Opinions On Surefire For Friend ?

DavidTHR

Enlightened
I was at a neighborhood BBQ, and a friend (who knows I collect flashlights) asked me what be would the best Surefire for him.

He wants ONE (1) Surefire for everyday use (i.e. possible pocket carry, vehicle and home use).

I told him to let me "ponder" his question, and I will call him with a Surefire suggestion.

I was thinking either the Surefire E2e or the L4.

Any opinions for my friend's Surefire selection?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks.

nightshade

Enlightened
The E2E- small, bright and able to add LED later on if the madness takes him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
L4 with a McE2S tailcap all the way.
If this is too big ... L1.
If bigger is an option ... U2.
I'd go LED because your friend might hate you upon seeing the replacement cost of a SF bulb ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i recently gave a friend a 4th gen KL1 on an L4 body with a Z57, essentially an E2L with a short clip. i chose the KL1, because it's LED so there's no bulb to blow. it runs reasonably long, as the 1 hour runtime of the KL4 or MN03 might turn the average user off. for most users the throw also more than makes up for the lack of sidespill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
E1L or L4 with two-stage tailcap.

- LED, no bulbs to replace
- E series + LED, can use Pila rechargeable batts
- small size

Size15's

Flashaholic
I thought this thread was "Opinions on SureFire for forend?"
D'Oh!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

DavidTHR

Enlightened
What's a "two stage" tailcap?

What does it do?

Where can you obtain one?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Luxman

Enlightened
Good point by Kiessling on LED type...
and turbodog on multilevel...

So just pick your size and cost!

L2
U2
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
digitalultra.jpg

I really need to write an essay on what I love about the U2.. in the meantime go read FLDB's comments on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's the most popular light of all (as determined by interest level, ie. clicks received), and I think I know why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Does your friend understand how to get the $1.25 batteries off of the internet? He'll be in for a shock when he prices the batteries at WalMart!!

DavidTHR

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

After work, I will call him with the Surefire suggestions.

Most likely the following:

*** E2e (which he can later upgrade with a LED head)

*** L2

*** L4

After he buys his first quality flashlight, I know from personal experience, he will want more and more!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the E2e, or L1.

The E2e is a can't go wrong light. It's very small, very bright, great beam. Good compromise between throw and flood. Until you hold one in your hand, you can't really understand how good a light can be.

The other light I think would be good is the L1. This is very pocketable, and I actually think it is more useful for everyday tasks. I have an old L1 which uses the NX05 so mine is more flood than the current L1, but overall, the floodish, medium intensity is very handy for cruising around the yard, looking inside some cabinet, whatever. The low mode is great for cruising around the house at night with the lights off. Using one cell with the reduced output means that with normal usage, you tend to get a lot of mileage on a battery. The size is basically the same as the E2.

The main thing is the E2e wins big time for "wow" factor. But I think the L1 is more useful in general. I carry both as EDC (they make a great combo) and while I use the L1 all the time, I only occationally use the E2e.

-john

Latest posts