rip petter jennings

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man i cant blieve he died rip.and god speed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: rip peter jennings

I was watching channel 4 (the local ABC affiliate), when they broke in at ~8:45pm PDT that Peter Jennings had passed on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will miss him; I used to watch ABC World News Tonight on Channel 7 (the ABC station) down here a lot.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

Although I work in a different department, and there was no offical news since the press release, we expected this (I work for ABC). Last week, a few of us were on the way to a co-workers father's wake, when one of the "connected" people said "The next will probably be Peter's"

RIP Peter - nice working with you those few times

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Omigosh.

I will miss him also. He was one of my favorite network newscasters. He had such an air of grace and civility about him, and his calm on-air demeanor is what kept me glued to ABC News during the 9/11 attack. Network news has lost one of it's shining stars.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Charlie, what do you do for ABC and how did you happen to work with Peter Jennings? Was he as cool, calm and collected in person as he projected into the lens?

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Charlie, what do you do for ABC and how did you happen to work with Peter Jennings? Was he as cool, calm and collected in person as he projected into the lens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worked with Peter RARELY - a few days here and there of the last 7 years. I'm a software developer, and we did some special Y2K code (for that show), and I ran into him at election time. All dealings I had with him, he was very professional. Unlike some of the other folks, he would actually stop and talk if you "flagged him down" on the street and the like - some of the folks do, some don't (and DO NOT ask me which is which) - BTW there are some other ABC folks around the forum

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Worked with Peter RARELY - a few days here and there of the last 7 years. I'm a software developer, and we did some special Y2K code (for that show), and I ran into him at election time. All dealings I had with him, he was very professional. Unlike some of the other folks, he would actually stop and talk if you "flagged him down" on the street and the like - some of the folks do, some don't (and DO NOT ask me which is which) - BTW there are some other ABC folks around the forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Charlie. My lasting impression of him is one of humble elegance. It sounds like my impression is probably not far from the mark.

A story if I may -

One of the things that I do is maintain an installation of "Jumbotron" style outdoor videowalls. On the morning of 9/11, they had ABC-TV punched up on the boards. I was doing something else that morning when I was suddenly called down to the area by one of the higher-ups who was screaming "where the !%&$ is the AUDIO?!" So I hightailed it down there (not knowing about the attacks yet) and I was struck to find this disaster unfolding in larger-than-life reality on the videowalls.

People were filing out of their offices and gathering there on the plaza to watch the story unfold on the big screens. Everyone was in rapt silence as we watched the events in horror, yet we were helped through it by the fact that Peter Jennings was at the helm, speaking to us in those magnificent, calm, comforting tones, trying his darndest to keep things in perspective when the whole world seemed to be falling apart at the seams.

I will always remember that morning - not only the horror, but how a classy news anchor helped us to keep our collective sanity as we stood there transfixed on the plaza, complete strangers to each other but suddenly a part of a larger family, a united family.

Thank you, Mr. Jennings, for being the Voice of Sanity for us on that day.

Saaby

Flashaholic

They said he logged over 60 hours on air that week. I'll sheepishly admit to being in that zombie-like stunned state, glued to the TV, for at least a couple of those hours. He sounded very...tired by the end of that week, but he just kept going.

Great respect for that man.

L

LITEmania

i remember Peter Jennings introduced Luxeon on ABC news two or three years ago......
i hope he rests in peace...

DarkLight

Enlightened

He was def an icon on tv news...quite smooth..

too bad cigs did him in..

remember that as you light up...

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

I could give you 9/11 stories from work - as you might guess, a BUSY time. Some amazing things done, and some really stupid things, for which I fogive folks, but are still good for a laugh (Like calling us up to tell us that the NY AP wire feed was down - to which the reply was "duh - the office WAS in the WTC")

According to a friend who was in the control room, when the first building came down is the ONLY time he has EVER heard the control room go silent. Almost everyone totally lost it - only the Tech directory kept going during those 30 seconds, silently pulling shots. Then everyone got their act together, and kept going

A LOT of behind the scenes folks put in those kinds of hours in order to allow Peter to be on the air those 60 hours. Peter did a great job, but so did they

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Well said Charlie. I can imagine how many TDs, audio guys, tape operators, CG operators and others had to pull double and triple shifts during that crisis. And your comment about the control room going silent while the TD silently punched up shots... wow. Everyone did a phenomenal job during that coverage.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I felt bad when I heard the news as well. My mom has terminal lung cancer, diagnosed in January and thus far has hung on better then we had expected. She felt a kinship towards Peter Jennings and hoped that with his money and availability of the best care that he would beat it and be back broadcasting the news. I know this is a big blow to her. Gosh I don't know a single soul that has ever beaten lung cancer.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Geepondy, I am sorry to hear this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

There are new developments happening all the time; I saw a story just last month about a breakthrough drug that's being tested (and possibly fast-tracked) that prevents cancers from metastacizing (I'm sure I've misspelled that). If this turns out to be true, it's a huge advance in terms of keeping the damage contained to the localized tumors.

It's also a reminder to keep ourselves as healthy as possible. I don't have to get on the soapbox about not smoking; others are doing an excellent job of this at the moment. But keeping healthy in other ways means a strong immune system, and it's the immune system that keeps cancer cells at bay in healthy people. Cancer cells pop up all the time, and the immune system kills them as fast as they can pop up. Unless it gets too weak to keep up.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif