HDS-U60 Questions

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'm pretty close to ordering this for my dream EDC. Although probably not as bright as the Surefire U2 I also want, I think for pocket carry it's a better choice. Probably quite bright at the highest setting, with many custom choices in between. Good options, including diffusers and I like the fact that the battery tubes that will one day be available give more choice, including 2 123 lithium for extended runtime. What a powerful light, especially given the size.

I've read a lot about these lights here, and many others, which leads to the first question. Are all these lights going to be comaptable with the battery tubes, or are some early production runs not going to be compatible? Could be I'm mixing this up with some other brand?

I'm not sure if I should wait for a brighter version to come along either. 85 or 100 lumens sounds so good, I'd have no more reason to get the U2 (except that I'll still want it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ). Patience ain't really one of my virtues but I'm going to try and excercise it. This will be a big purchase for me. I think I can live without the XR's extra 50% runtime, given the future option to use two cells.

LowWorm

Enlightened
It's my understanding that battery tubes are planned (of course, you can always e-mail Henry at HDS to verify). And if they are, I can't forsee why all HDS EDC models shouldn't compatible.

Whether you make the plunge sooner or later, either way you'll have a very nice light.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I have spoken with HDS concerning the battery tubes. As of now, the tubes that are under development are supposed to work with all the HDS lights available.

This may change, but I don't think it will.

aceo07

Enlightened
I think there's a thread that had pics of the U60 with battery extension tubes along with runtimes for it. 2xCR123 and 2xAA. It was from March or so. The tube looked like it was made for the HDS EDC.

When the tubes officially become available I'd love to have them, if the price is reasonable.. and if it can take 2xR123s. I would almost never buy another flashlight again after that..

edit: Here's the thread. HDS Ultimate Runtime

Luxman

Enlightened
You stated "I'm pretty close to ordering this for my dream EDC. Although probably not as bright as the Surefire U2 I also want, I think for pocket carry it's a better choice."

While battery extension tubes would be very nice, it will subtract from the U60's pocket carry ability.
So, if you have the room...bring the U2 (too)!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the U60 from Jimsflashlights.com and I can tell you that it is the best light that I have ever seen or used, I really can't put into words what I think about this light in both features and overall performance and workmanship.

luxlover

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
lrp said:
I just received the U60 from Jimsflashlights.com and I can tell you that it is the best light that I have ever seen or used, I really can't put into words what I think about this light in both features and overall performance and workmanship.

[/ QUOTE ]
lrp,
WORD UP!

KenBar

Enlightened
JackBlades said:
KenBar, did you get yours yet? I just ordered one from JimsFlashlights and it should be here Saturday. I'll be sure to post my comments on your thread!

ABSOLUTELY no light has ever given me this much pleasure. I am in the process of editing the link I have for things that did not port over during the transition.

As soon as I clean it up, I am going to do a post at the bottom telling all.

Never have I not had " Iwonderifishouldhaveboughtititis" after I spent this much for a light.

I got the EDC ULTIMATE 60 XR. TOTALLY AWSOME.
I want to put a post to help a new person with the programming.
It is simple once you get the hang.
IT IS TOTALLY AWSOME IN ITS FUNCTIONALITY.

I recommend to anyone.:cool:

ps.
I like who you bought it from. Check my link ( I renamed it) for some input into recharagables. Everyone said pretty much the same answer. His was quite good.

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the HDS EDC is a good light.

I like -

its size (unobtrusive)
functionality (multiple levels of light)
in-hand feel
beam
runtime

I don't like -
control interface can be annoying eg. takes a little while to respond, triple clicks sometimes register as double clicks, you can't immediately turn on and switch settings (eg turn on -->secondary when you've set primary).
primary cr123s do last a long time - but for a lot of that time you aren't able to access the brightest settings (eg. 60 lumens) because the voltage is too low. this makes buying r123s mandatory.

KenBar

Enlightened
Grox,
Mine does what say in your "I don't like" if I am reading you correctly.

I have force set to OFF. This way it turns on where I left it.
Late at night, it always turns on low... and through the day it turns on Primary, where I usually use it.

If I turn it to MAX..turn off ( one click ) turn on ( one click ) , then 2 clicks takes me to a toggle situation between primary and secondary. Anytime I can go back to HIGH with 2 quick clicks and one LONG one. I can't get it to fail.

This might be the problem....play with the "force setting toggle".

What would be nice is a DVD with the purchase to boost the learning curve.

My goal now is to find out to get what I want with the fewest presses.

I am going to start a thread soon with tips and tricks. I know the other owners have to have discovered things we can help each other with.
Good luck with yours. It might be a practice thing as I am getting better each day and I am on day 4 now!!

I WOULD BE INTERESTED HEARING MORE ABOUT YOUR BATTERY LIFE EXPERIENCES AS MINE IS A XR. Thanks!

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm getting old & senile....I had to give Jim Scheter a call and he really went thru all the steps with me and I finally learned how to work the light. This light is simply amazing to me as it does so much and is sooo tiny!
Henry is the man in my book!!