JiL DD Rev (UP) - Good buy in the long run?

LowWorm

Enlightened
Well, I shook down my couches and found lots of quarters (that's my story and I'm sticking to it), so I decided to grab a JiL DD Rev (UP) from Warren.

For those JiL owners out there, how have you been satisfied with the performance of this light? Is the light output satisfactory for you? What do you mainly use it for? Anyone wish they had gone for the 1.3 instead?

I guess what I'm getting at is whether you think, now that the novelty of it has worn off, the DD is all that it's cracked to be, or if you think another light could have served the same output, portability, or purpose just as well or better.

Luxman

Enlightened
I couldn't make up my mind either...so I got both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
EXCELLENT quality, intensity, beam and color.
Don't know which I like better.

They are both pretty bright...as always, choose whichever you feel is more important to your application - runtime or brightness.
Even the DD has nice brightness...and is a little smaller.
Check for TIN's runtime plot for time details.
You can't go wrong either way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Whichever you choose - let us know how you like it!

JanCPF

Enlightened
Do we have any beamshots of the two side by side running on CR2 primary cells?

Jan

pastanley

Newly Enlightened
I faced the same problem - I was not sure which Jil would be better for me. So I got them both. They are on the way and I should have them this week.

Big thanks to Warren!

gorlank

Enlightened
Still my favorite small light, great build quality and nice white beam. Couple this with one of the new Arcs and you're good to go.

cgpeanut

Enlightened
@LowWorm,

I'm really satisfied with my JiL DD good price and excellent quality.

I like the reflector, UCL lens and TWOJ lux that came with it.

POP2 JiL Pill

IMHO you can get more use out of it if you replace the stock pill with a POP2 v2.31 Jill Pill with TWOH as in here.

TWOH POP2 v2.31 Jill Pill or Sammie

you can also find how I did the POP2 JiL Pil mod here.

POP2 JiL PiL

It's small and produces a perfect beam I think.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey LowWorm- funny you should bring this up, since I was wondering all of the same things (as I'm sure you remember, I recently bought this light from jaques /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, he should be sending it today). The runtime chart looks really attractive to me, but it seems that it's only about as bright as the OLD Arc AAA. I expect to like this light mainly because I often prefer dimmer lights in true dark, the luxeon has much better tint with no blue hotspot, and of course it's a take-anywhere size. Only time will tell if it gets much use though.
I notice from hopping around in the forums, that it seems like we have a very similar taste in lights (HDS etc). If I get mine before you I'll be sure to post my impressions here.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Athough I have several of the 1.3w and DD versions, if I could only keep one of them, it would be a DD version. I prefer the DD due to it's simplicity and ease to maintain. There are not funky electronics to break or go bad in the DD. There's a battery and and LED, with a casing to hold it together. It runs on standard CR2 or RCR2 cells. It's really the most simplistic light available. The beam tint and output is great, however I still prefer the old-sytle reflector over the new one. With either Jil, you can't go wrong.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all the lights I have, Jil DD is my only EDC.
It can take either CR2 batteries. It's small enough so that my keychange does not feel like a bowling ball.

Totally agree with TIN, it's more robust (no converter), one less component for failure.

I highly recommend the DD version.

LowWorm

Enlightened
TIN's runtime charts helped steer me toward the DD in the first place (thanks, TIN!). I didn't really consider the upside of no converter, but the more I think of it, the more I like it.

I guess I'm just trying to get a good grip on how this light is going to figure into my EDC or daily use...of course, its long runtime and crazy small size give me more options that way. Now if only I don't lose it in my laundry or something dumb like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Solstice: I think you're right - you'll have to PM me on what lights you've got or are interested in and we can compare notes. Since you'll get your JiL way before I do, it'll be nice to add your impressions to the others here. So far, it all sounds good, so I'm optimistic.

Deanster

Enlightened
I have both the DD and the 1.3, and the DD is far and away my fave.

The DD is the first light since the Photon microlights came out that has caused me to alter my keychain EDC - I consider it a major step forward.

I've carried a Photon or Inova Microlight on my keychain for years and years now, and had accepted that 5mm LED's were the best keychain light out there. ArcAAA's are OK, though a bit long and pokey in my pocket, and actually put out less and muddier light than a new microlight.

In an attempt to move up to Luxeon level output on the keychain, I tried my original Arc LS1 with twisty, but it was both chubby and heavy. I tried my Firefly II - much better, but still too bulky. Even my JIL 1.3 was just a hair too big and heavy for keychain carry.

However, my JIL DD rev(up) is perfect on my keychain - nice size and weight next to my car fob, no longer or wider than my keys, and neither unbalances the key ring nor creates a bulge in my pocket.

Add in the ultimate simplicity of tube, battery and LED, the nice bright light for a couple hours, and many many hours of 5mm brightness light, and it's a HUGE winner for me. Finally, at ~$65, it'd be sad if it were lost, but it wouldn't put the hit in the wallet that losing my FireflyII or an OrbRAW would.

It's a great little light - it's been on my keychain for two+ months now, and it looks like new - no signs of wear, except where the split ring rubbed when it was attached, where there's a tiny gleam of aluminum.

My 1.3 is my 'shorts' light, when I want decent light in a dead minimum package - it's an outstanding light, but enough bigger that it's in direct competition with the Firefly II and its higher capacity (and cheaper) 123 battery, hi-lo light levels, and swappable sammich. While the 1.3 is visibly a smaller and slicker package than the Firefly in many ways, I don't think it takes full advantage of the smaller cr2 battery in the way the DD does.

So, that's all a long way of saying that the DD is the light I depend on - simple, small, robust, bright up front, and with a LOOOOOONG tail of low light, it's the perfect Luxeon EDC, IMHO.

cy

Flashaholic
really like my jill DD, running TWOK to limit current to emitter. li-ion CR2 is prefer choice. a low level would really increase usibility.

guess I need to do foursevens mod. until then it doesn't do it for me.

do think it's one of the best values available. HA and construction quality is top notch.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like my FLuPIC in a 1.3W. Why I like it is because I get low level, ~50ma so that will run around 5 hours on a 350ma battery. On burst, I can get 600ma but I won't be using that often. For me, using rechargable allows me to top it off every so often so I get MAX power every time I use it. With CR2 and DD, the light gets dimmer and dimmer everytime.

My two cdn cents.

LowWorm

Enlightened
Deanster and cy: Thanks for the input - the value (vs. the price) of this light is important to me, and what you've said seems to follow the general consensus on this light.

goldserve: The FluPIC is very tempting, but I'd have to invest in rechargeables to get the full whammy of the mod, and I'm trying to declare a moratorium on my obsessive urge to throw cash in the direction of anything even remotely flashlight oriented. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
RCR2s are very cheap with the nano charger. Never need to buy batteries again. You can take out the old converter and even sell it here to someone who needs it. Cheers. I just got my second JIL 1.3W + FLuPIC =D

LowWorm

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
goldserve said:
but CR2s are very cheap with the nano charger. Never need to buy batteries again. You can take out the old converter and even sell it here to someone who needs it. Cheers. I just got my second JIL 1.3W + FLuPIC =D

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but I'd still have to buy the FluPIC! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

Too many things to spend on + no self-control = /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif

Really shouldn't even be buying the JiL DD, since I've got lights aplenty for my basic needs. But who says you think clearly when you're in love, anyway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't like the DD as much exept size wise. and since I don't have any real modding skill's I stayed with the 1.3.
since it has incredible long life from the batt and brighter stock i stayed with that. all the md's do look cool though! wish there was a modder that specialized in these. VDG

P.S. what is a FLuPIC?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
voodoogreg,

If you search that up in the forums, you will see it is firmware and a converter board I developed that uses a microprocessor and li-ion batteries to give multilevel, multi menu, multi featured flashlight. Click on my link for more information in my signature.