HDS U60 XR GT

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought "extended runtime" and "guaranteed tint" were mutually exclusive. The whitest LEDs are not the most efficient ones, and vice versa.

Perhaps there were a very few (like one in a million) over-achieving emitters that actually were white and efficient. After they (it?) were sold, no more like it were found?

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it seems and, where they can be located there appears to be a $50 premium....am I seeing this wrong?

Karl

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you're not seeing it wrong - the XRs and GTs both came with premiums, due to the need to hand-pick each light for either a great tint/guaranteed tint or to get one with extended runtimes.

Translation - the better the light, or more 'special' it was, the more you paid. Like always. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cy

Flashaholic
it's all but impossible to find TXOH VS difficult to find TWOH and then you have to pay a premium.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have blinked---wasn't the XR priced at $245----this one was $50 above that price--$295! Or is this a 60XRGT---$50 above the base $195 plus another $50 above that as well? Maybe I've been out in the sun too long....??

Karl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

AZLight

Newly Enlightened
Maybe my Basic 60GT is actually Basic 60 XR GT

When testing my B60GT and my U60 I have noticed that the B60GT will last at least 50% longer on the highest setting on new Duracell primary (35 minutes vs 22 minutes). On rechargable, my B60GT will also last longer on the highest setting (43 minutes vs 28 minutes).

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Maybe my Basic 60GT is actually Basic 60 XR GT

Henry never said they were using lumileds exclusively so they may have a source for leds that we are unable to get.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened

270Winchester,

I am around but don't always search all possible threads. I've been hard at work readying the next few products for release...

Billson,

A slight mismatch in web sites - so the cat got out of the bag a few days early. Sorry about that. We will put the XR GT on our site when we start shipping it - which will probably be next week.

We have been moving in the direction of moving the sales to our distribution network for some time and had planned to remove the order buttons when we had caught up with the back orders. Since we expect to ship the last few back orders for the EDC flashlights this week, now was a good time to remove the buttons.

Our web site will still contain all the most up-to-date information about our products and will describe the products currently in production.

Ty_Bower,

Extended runtime and guaranteed tint are definitely NOT mutually exclusive. It just so happens that we did not have a large enough number of XR GT-qualifying LEDs to make a product release until now. The same goes for the EDC Basic 42 GT flashlights.

Statistically speaking - based on the LEDs we have put into production and keep statics on - the LED's tint shows little correlation with efficiency. Some reels have lots of really good LEDs and some reels have lots of really bad LEDs - all from the same bin. If you only looked at a small number of reels, you could easily come to the wrong conclusion about tints and efficiency.

Haesslich,

You have it correct. GTs have a $50 premium, XRs have a $50 premium and XR GTs have a $50+$50 = $100 premium.

Cy,

As you have suggested, we pay a premium for the best LEDs. And there are additional expenses for the extra sorting. And the number of these LEDs is relatively small. So we have to pass those expenses on to our customers and make enough profit to stay in business. Is that marketing? Of course. But as you said, we tell you up front.

AZLight,

We only guarantee the minimum run time on the Maximum brightness level. As you have noticed, there can be significant runtime variations. And it is quite possible that your Basic 60 GT was from a time prior to us testing for and separating XR-qualifying LEDs. My, you did get a bargin. Enjoy!

Henry.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Henry, I thought my math was correct--NOT too long out in the sun!

Karl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast

Henry,

My apologies if I'm perpetuating mis-information.

I recalled a post from the recent past (in the thread "HDS_Part V", last post on page 7) where a user suggested you once had said that GT models would not be the most efficient ones.

I did some searching, and nowhere can I find a post where you've made any comment one way or another regarding the efficiency of the GT models. I'm glad to hear that the GT models are now available as an XR.

I suppose I ought to have said that the qualities needed for GT and XR were statistically less likely to occur at the same time in any given emitter. It's not impossible, merely improbable. Hence the premium price for this premium LED.

Perhaps early in the Lumileds development process, the "green ones" tended to be the brightest ones. It seems their manufacturing techniques are maturing, and product consistency and quality is on an upward trend. Their improved parts are showing up in the manufactured lights, and that can only be a good thing for all of us.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

maybe one day I'll have enough money for one of these nice EDS's!