Flashlights in Space ?

DavidTHR

Enlightened
With all the news coverage of NASA lately, I was wondering if astronauts are issued any type of flashlight for their missions (past and present)?

If so, what kind or brand of flashlight?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

goldenlight

Enlightened
Of _course_ the astronauts are issued flashlights! There could be a complete failure of the 4 or 5 redundant power back up systems.

The Shuttle astronauts are issued 2AA M*g lights, with a special NASA Logo. The US Government pays $843 each for these flashlights, since they have been extensively tested at M*glight's large R&D and testing facility!

(Or maybe not....?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
As I understand, LRI's Photon Microlight II is used on space missions because of its small size, durability, wide temperature operating range of the batteries, and its (starting) intensity.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
LRI claims that the Photon Micorlight is used by NASA. I have seen a full-sized NASA flashlight that does not look like anything commercially available. It was pretty clunky and had fully redundant bulb and batteries inside. It looked similar to those power outage flashlights that you can hang from an electrical outlet.

StanTeate

Enlightened
If they are designed to operate while using a space suit, they would have to be VERY easy to operate considering the reduced fine motor movement.