SF U2 - rechargeable option?

winger

Newly Enlightened
These 123's are getting expensive (lol esp if buying at local supermarket or Walgreens).

What are my options for going with rechargeable batteries? I recall seeing one rechargeable solution (cannot seem to find it at the moment) - but I remember that the voltage was not the same as two 123's and was thinking this may harm the light.

Also, does SF support fixing the light if the rechargeable blows up or leaks?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy Pila 168A cells and use them with your U2.

No, SF will NOT cover third party damage to your light. The use of rechargeable cells is not officially sanctioned anywhere. They may fix it, but they are just as likely to send you the bill. However, the U2 is well designed enough that this occurrence would seem extremely unlikely. With the exception of two sets of CR123s, I've run my U2 on 18650 lithium ions exclusively without a hitch.

If you need a rechargeable light that's covered under warranty your only option is the Surefire rechargeable NiCad series. However, I would truly love to see SF come out with the "official" U2 rechargeable kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
winger,

I use the Pila 168A rechargeable Li-ion. It works very
well in my U2 and is a protected cell. This battery is
protected against over charging and over discharging. It
has to be loaded from the bezel end, because it will not
fit into the tailcap end of the light. The run time and
output seems about the same. Otherwise by your
batteries from Surefire at a greatly reduced price.

This flashlight stuff is intoxicating ....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
LG 18650's rated 2400mah works great!

Pila 168a's are rated 1800-2000.

Also AW's dual channel 18650/168a/r123 charger works good.
I think it's $13 shipped from HK