Oktoberfest Flashlight Selection Assistance!

Deanster

Enlightened
Hi all - I'll be headed to Oktoberfest in Munich in mid-September, and I've got everything worked out except my flashlight selection.

What's the right set of lights to carry into planned excessive consumption of beer, sausage and feasting my eyes on the exposed decolletage of German barmaid?

All advice appreciated. These are serious and difficult questions!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never been to one but I would imagine:

- something waterproof (at least splashproof)

- something attached to your body with a lanyard (so you still have it the next morning)

- something with a good spot beam that will cover area 1 to 2 foot diameter (depending on barmaid) at 2 to 6 foot distance (depending on how brave you are) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Inova T1 through QIII on rechargeables?

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Deanster said:

What's the right set of lights to carry into planned excessive consumption of beer, sausage and feasting my eyes on the exposed decolletage of German barmaid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something bright enough to blind her angry husband/boyfriend after looking to deep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
But seriously, Munich is plenty bright at night, even more so on the "Wiesn". About any light you'd carry in town will do, be sure to carry something unobtrusive, non-agressive though.
Any kind of weapon/ or thing that look like one is likely to bring you into trouble with the police. After the London bombings there will be more police around than usually.

Chrisse

Deanster

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
- something with a good spot beam that will cover area 1 to 2 foot diameter (depending on barmaid) at 2 to 6 foot distance (depending on how brave you are)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there somewhere where I can put in a request for the barmaids who require a flood beam? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

More seriously - the lanyard idea is a good one. Prime candidates for 'Oktoberfestscheinwerfer' are my JIL 1.3 (great light, super small, but only one light level), or my Firefly II - not quite so small, but the hi-lo option is super-useful. In either case, a lanyard or clip of some sort would seem to be a critical addition.

Keep 'em coming! (is what Deanster will shout to the flood-beam-requiring barmaids)

Geologist

Enlightened
Advice regarding Oktoberfest....

If you are going to the fest to drink beer, then take a light that you will have NO REGRETS about loosing, trading, giving away, or having confiscated.
Too bright a light in the wrong face might create more trouble than you would be prepared for....

Fest Bier has very strange effects on American tourists.....

Might even be fun to have a pocketful of the keychain lights for fun....

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
light up beer mug is just the trick!
An eternalight Rav'in would bring some attention your way without the "tactical" look. In any group of people,day or night I like to carry my Kl4 on whatever body I happen to choose that morning.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Shhhh! don't tell him they make light up beer. I have heard of lite beer but light up beer is a new one, perhaps cree invented LED beer and craig may have to order a keg to *test* it. (not gonna even imagine beamshots on that) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Geologist

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
An eternalight Rav'in would bring some attention your way without the "tactical" look. In any group of people,day or night I like to carry my Kl4 on whatever body I happen to choose that morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get to choose a body every morning? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Geologist

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
Shhhh! don't tell him they make light up beer. I have heard of lite beer but light up beer is a new one, perhaps cree invented LED beer and craig may have to order a keg to *test* it. (not gonna even imagine beamshots on that) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or after the keg, measuring the next day "run time".... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
A few years back, my son survived Oktoberfest without any light at all... After a few liters of beer, he just bumped into things and eventually found his way. I had this picture of a pin ball machine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would suggest an E1e.

Tom

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Geologist said:
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You get to choose a body every morning? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure doesn't everyone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You should see the masterpiece I picked out today!

I get thirsty everytime I read this thread.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2, they come with lanyards, and its not as bad if you lose it... just $30. Waterproof too.

-David

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TORCH_BOY said:
Take as much as you can carry

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you think.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Geologist said:
Fest Bier has very strange effects on American tourists.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Might have something to do with this yellow-coloured water they serve as "beer" in the United states.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Chrisse

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I think you need to factor the needs for post beer consumption use into your choices. The strange hotel room in the dark, finding the bathroom, etc... Several lights I am sure will go with you, one should be a gripable 2 x 123 easily operated with one hand and another could be a small light on a neck lanyard (ARC AAA maybe). Different lights for varied uses...

Wrangler

Enlightened
A nice, bright headlamp attached to your head will make you a very well known person on the "Wiesn" within hours! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif
Depending on the decolletee of the barmaid i would recommend
you to rather take a good flood light than a spot light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
But back to serious, any small (nonagressive looking)light such as Q3, X5T, T1, etc. will do it, in case you or your friends dropped something under the table in the "Festzelt" or looking for the bathroom in your hotel (many, many times) at night!
Enjoy your time in Germany! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Wolfgang

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Recently, on a military detachment, my Nuwai 3w LED came in very useful as a neck light, for those toilet stops, where the toilets have no light. Krill lights are ok, but not quite bright enough until your eyes have adjusted to the darkness,