How's your color perception?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: How\'s your color perception?

Some cool illusions.

I think this demonstrates how the eyes and brain have an "auto-white-balance" circuit in them. Sit inside a room lit by incandescent light and look outside and the outdoors appears blue by comparison. Walk outside and look in the window where you were just sitting and the indoor light appears yellow while your surroundings appear to be lit with white light.

Auto headlights look yellow by day and white by night.

Sit in a room illuminated by a green light bulb and it'll eventually look white. Then step outside and everything will be purple.

I'm sure there's a good reason for this. If I find it I'll get back to you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
PhotonWrangler said:
Sit in a room illuminated by a green light bulb and it'll eventually look white. Then step outside and everything will be purple.

Cool! I just had that happen to me last night. I had my green GL3 LED module on for a while and as I was swithing in off I accidentally turned the incan lamp on and saw a quick flash of purple on the wall. It was a hard to describe, "rich" purple.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

The only ways I can describe this phenomenon (and I honestly don't know if my ideas are accurate) -

1) There's an auto-white--balance "circuit" in the brain that tries to make any source or color of light into a usable one.

2) The sensory cells associated with green (in GreenLED's example above) become temporarily fatigued and thus desensitized. When one is subsequently exposed to a white light source, the "fatigued" regions have less gain than the non-depleted ones, causing an image that's the reverse color.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened

Illusion three (3) was indeed remarkable, it should say a lot to the "great white wall hunters" [like myself].

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast

absolutely mindblowing. I had to check it in photoshop to believe it.... its amazing to see for Illustr. 3 how it changes when moving the black area to cover the surrounding.

Kilted

Enlightened

Just discovered something this morning. My closets do not have any lights in them. As always looking for useablity for new toy's I grabbed my brand new Surefire U2. Did all the usual comparsions. My best is to take your light outside and compared to sunshine by lighting up shadow areas. My U2 is late afternoon sun ie. warm color. On a white wall it made a slight green ting show up in my Surefire L6.

This morning I grabbed the U2 to peer into my closet and MAGIC I could see all the colors!!

Here is the kicker I have the standard genetic male pattern color blindness to yellow-green spectrum. I fail the standard number color blind test, ie a bunch spots with some off color that form a number.

I guess the U2 color spectrum is filling in what my eyes are missing.

=D~~ Kilted

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine is way off, mostly on small items and items in low light. They think I have a retina problem but can't confirm. It's weird. I cannot tell the resistor color codes of brown, red and green but if I look at them under a microscope so it blows up, I then can then tell the color differences. Another thing, I'll be reading red text in low light, such as a Chinese restaurant menu and parts of the text will suddenly turn black on me. But this is a good thing as it then becomes much easier to read!

I do poorly on small leds that turn from red to green but do ok on the bigger ones.

*Retired*

FlashlightOCD said:
Illusion three (3) was indeed remarkable, it should say a lot to the "great white wall hunters" [like myself].

The almighty wall warriors have been with us for years.

I don't think they will ever be satisfied.

Latest posts