etc.. Does anyone have both, and have an opinion
about the quality/durability of say the new Arc AAA vs
the Matterhorn or any other Peak AAA?

Thanks
MB

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll bite,
I have both and used them in very tough environments (the Iraqi type) They went through daily showers on a lanyard, were run over by vehicles, exposed to baby power fine dust, were turned on hundreds of times and run through many batteries.

My Arc AAA had the infamous turn on problem when the battery had about 2 hours of use. I lent it out and told her to change the battery once a week. That solved the problem until she lost the light.

The Arc AA was great for a long use low level light that never failed to work or please those of us that used it. The Arc VS Peak battle was fought and for our unique use, the Peak beat the Arc AAA for two reasons: Peak had a whiter beam and could stand on end in bunkers.

On a pure quality note, it is six of one and half-a-dozen of the other. They both can take a beating, have great output for their size and cause the early retirement of Solitaires when they arrive. No matter what you pick, they are both premium quality lights that hold up in the worst conditions.

Isn't having a choice great?

davidra

Enlightened
I've used both, but definitely not in that environment. I've carried each for probably a year or so. I've used Peak HA and brass 3-led Matterhorns and old and new Arcs. Both are great lights, and maybe it's just psychological, but I like the Arc. I think it's a little more solid; I like the nat finish better on the Arc. It's darker, which I like, but I had the occasional loss of anodizing on the Peak around the base of the head. My Arc is just slightly smaller (because of the single LED)than the Matterhorn 3 LED. The Arc beam is bluer, but I find the spill much more useful in most environments, even though initially I switched to the Peak because it had better throw. It does, but much less useful spill in my opinion. You'll like either one, but there's just something about an Arc. Admittedly, I have never had one malfunction, but the new version is one of the really great alltime lights.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used Peak AAA Lights, SS Light is the Toughest... but slightly Heavy (because of Steel) .... but Worth every thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Very resistant to wear and tear...

Peak's HAIII Are one of the best in quality.

(just if you dont know) Old ARC Used to machine & Anodize at Peak's Workshop.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that comparing a defective light is much of a fair comparison, nor do I think that comparing an older light that is no longer in production really gives anyone wanting to make a decision about which one to purchase now, helps with that decision.

The new ARC is brighter and has a much more practical beam with more flood for everyday tasks. The ARC regulation is better - it's brighter for a longer period and will "start up" on almost dead batteries. The LED has been tested and known to hold up under extreme conditions while being overdriven.The ARC can be rigged with the clip to tailstand and has a lifetime warranty. It's in such demand that it'll take you 2-3 weeks to get one.

The Peak has a more concentrated spot (more throw, little flood) and runs for a longer time because it is not as bright in the first few hours. As BentHeadTx stated, it has tail stand ability and a whiter output. Since Peak has not disclosed what LED is used, data is not available nor are the LEDs for objective CPFers to test and determine their durablility or longetivity, which might be why it has a one year warranty.

It's interesting to note that a defective, older model ARC still competed strongly with a brand new Peak and the new ARC is drastically better than the old ones. As for the LED color issue, I imagine that when ARC finds a whiter output LED that is as bright as its current LED and can prove itself to be worthy of a lifetime warranty, they'll use it. Known against unknown.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a quality issue, but like Davidra, I need spill in my EDC lights, so I prefer the Arc. Quality of both seemed very good - overkill for most non-military uses, really. It seemed that Arcs were brighter than single LED Peaks of the same generation (and generations look to be about 9 months apart these days) and had better run time than multi-LED Peaks when used with similar batteries.

Format wise, I the Arc lugged tail is prettier and more compact but the longer Peak tail is easier for me to grasp when twisting one handed. I really like the front twisty format of both (and I really miss the old Infinity Ultras /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif)

davidra

Enlightened
Well, there's always the immortal CPF credo.....buy both. Get a Peak SS pocket version ultra and an Arc Premium. They really will not be redundant...not likely Peter will be making an SS light, nor one without an attachment point. And you'll not have a problem selling either one on BST.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
It's not a quality issue, but like Davidra, I need spill in my EDC lights, so I prefer the Arc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a bit puzzled by this. I have one of the new 'Snow29' AAA single led Ultra Matterhorns which was my EDC on a just completed 3,000 mile driving trip. It has plenty of spill, enough to light up an entire motel room, and in my big house, I've been routinely using it for the 'night check' walks just before turning in. It easily illuminates my living and family rooms which are fairly large.

On the trip, it was invaluable for those last minute 'precheckout' inspections, in fact it paid for itself by revealing a valuable that had scuttled into the back of a deep drawer and hidden itself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At one point we were on the freeway and my wife needed to read a map. The broad even white beam was perfect, revealing all the map colors and illuminating it perfectly- she'd been razzing me about a 35 buck teeny flashlight, but after this trip at her request, I've just ordered her one from Peak.

I have confirmed a very useful throw under 'suburban' i.e. not totally dark, or indoor conditions of a solid 30 feet, which IMHO is more than enough for this type of light.

Now, I don't have a new arc to compare it to, but this light is a very solid little performer easily meeting every challenge I threw at it. Even with hours on the battery, I found it more than bright enough. It now has taken up permanent residency in my watch pocket.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is certainly nothing wrong with either light. I went with the arc. i've owned them before and they are just a fantastic light. Nothing but good things to say about them. I don't think there is a significant difference in quality between the lights, at least not something so obvious that you could pick one over the other. There are differences though. I picked the ARC for my keychain because I like their LED choice and boost circuit specs better for a single LED pocket light.

But there are many other Peak lights that I think are looking pretty good and might find themselves in my rotation, but nothing will replace my Arc for my keychain.

But if you're looking for someone to tell you that one or the other sucks and not to get it, I'm afraid thats not going to make the decision any easier for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Most people do have more than one keychain though! You could get one for your wife/girlfriend and the other for you and then play with them both for a little bit before you decide which one is for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Then, of course, you have to post back in this thread and tell us which one you chose and why!

As far as runtime and brightness, I would feel comfortable trusting the graphs and numbers that Peter from ARC posted in other threads about the arc. He has historically underestimated his claims on those fronts rather than exaggerated them. But there is no shortage of other folks having done runtime graphs and power measurements. try an do some searching through the arc board to find those.

paulr

Flashaholic
By Arc, I mostly mean the old Arcs since I don't have a new one yet.

Arcs were machined in the same factory that now makes Peaks. In fact Peak got started after Arc and Arc's contract machine shop had a disagreement that I won't rehash and they decided to go their separate ways. Arc (the old Arc) shut down shortly afterwards, and the machine shop's management decided to stay in the light business so they started Peak. The quality of the metal parts has seemed to me to be just about the same between (old) Arc and Peak, which is what you'd expect.

Arc has always done a better job with electronics. Peak started out not so hot and has improved some since then, but the latest Arcs are another step ahead.

As for the two companies, well, Arc LLC had its foibles and messed up in a number of areas, but we can surely say that its owner is an actual flashaholic and has always pursued a flashaholic vision in flashlight design. Arc has also been communicative with CPF about technical issues--we know the make, part number, color and flux bins of all the LED's that went into Arcs, while we don't even know who manufactures the leds in Peak lights. So Arcs have always been popular here, even through Arc LLC's mostly-self-inflicted business troubles.

Peak seems to me to be, well, just another company trying to run a profitable business and keep customers happy (and doing a good job), but which, deep down, hasn't been that flashlight centered. Their products are well made and sometimes innovative (double ended CR123 light) but have usually struck me as missing the point in some way. It's as if, not having much of a vision of their own, they made a bunch of different stuff sort of at random, to find out what people would buy. The Peak products that have been most successful (Matterhorn) are copies of Arc products, and what's more, have been through several design iterations and have improved basically by becoming closer and closer Arc copies.

Peak has, however, been willing to try new things (the "snow" leds and their 3-led AAA lights have in particular become popular) while Arc sticks to its guns and declines those ideas based on particular flashaholic technical criteria that not every flashaholic subscribes to. Peak has also had the resources to crank out a far wider range of products, many of them not too successful. Peak has also done a better job keeping its manufacturing program in order. Arc LLC was constantly beset by production problems of various kinds that eventually led to its demise, and the new Arc may be making similar errors (you can't place an order for a new Arc right now). Peak's new product introductions haven't always been on schedule (that's entirely normal) but once introduced, they've generally been able to fill demand.

All in all, I'd say Arc has been more of a leader that sometimes stumbles, while Peak has been more of a follower that's stayed steady. I like the products Arc has been making so I hope the new incarnation of the company keeps its act together and stays around.

LowWorm

Enlightened
paulr: Thanks for the ARC v. Peak analysis. I like getting divergent viewpoints on stuff like this.

Like Mykall, I also wondered about the differences between ARC and Peak. Being really new to flashlights, it seemed to me that Peak's never had quite the cult following of ARC and wondered why. Not that a cult following is always good, but the reasons behind one are usually fascinating to me.

I really need to pick me up a Peak to compare with my ARC-P. Of course, it sounds like there are enough practical and aesthetic differences between the brands to make an apples-to-apples evaluation a moot point.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concerning the "old Arc" VS the "new" Peak.
The Peak I used was a first generation Peak... the "old" style so it is fair to compare it to the last generation Arc.
You have to remember what the lights were used for, when they were used and the very specific needs the users expected.
Medical people borrowed my lights. First and formost is for the light to give accurate color when they use them. The winner in that catagory was the Lambda MicroIlluminator AAA with premium R3J Luxeon goodness. When the battle of the 5mm lights hit Peak was the easy winner as the snow gave a much cleaner, whiter and more accurate color.
If you were a Marine on a chopper that just landed and a doctor was there with a 5mm light in his mouth and had 15 seconds to figure out were to send you... would you be concerned about accuracy of colors the doctor is seeing?
Then you went to CT scan and the guy working on the boards, wiring and cooling system had a flashlight in his mouth. Would you worry about if the hundreds of components were connected correctly?
In that specific situation, color accuracy is everything in the world followed by reliability and "normal" batteries.
The docs had Inova X5 flashlights laying around to be used at their will. They wanted my MicroIlluminator and Matterhorn snow for quicker and easier diagnosis of patients. What they really wanted was a Matterhorn on a lanyard with the MicroIlluminator Luxeon and adjustable output.
It all depends on your priorities with lighting. The X5 and Peak was prefered over the Arc because it did not have distracting sidespill. The recessed LEDs help prevent seeing the source of the light. For general use, this is not a concern but in the desert it is very important.
I just ordered another Peak Matterhorn snow 3 LED HO (not Ultra) Although I prefer the lugged end, I still require the ability to stand it up on end if I head out to funland again. In a few years, spill will become more important but for now, I need small, white beam and recessed LEDs.
Just because something works better for medical or military use does not mean it will work better for you. Combat boots are tough and work great in bad environments... I don't wear them when I don't need to. The same thing should be applied to lights. What the hell will I do with my Arc AAA red and Peak AA 5 LED red when I quit playing around in the desert? I'll take the batteries out and place them with other interesting things I used at that time.
As far as the Arc AAA having problems when the battery voltage dropped to (no load) 1.30v. That was not Arc's fault, their supplier gave them transistors that did not meet their specs. It was not a major problem as the battery was swapped out once a week. We did not sweat the little stuff.
The other things I learned was Kroll clickie switches and Streamlight Luxeon Jr. clickie switches last 3 months under heavy use. My minimag R2H mod was OK since I brought a few spares. If I had an Arc LS, I would of had problems.
The switches that work are twisty (Arc, Peak, Inova and Mag) The big Mags never had problems with their barrel switches and Surefires worked great. Cheezy lights need not apply.
If they told me I was leaving in a month, I could not replace all my Peaks with Arcs even if I tried. No red or UV is offered and I prefer those colors in AA lithium format.
My hope is that the high flux LEDs from Luxeon, Nichia or Cree will be used with an adjustable output AAA light. 5mm LEDs are transitional technology as far as I am concerned... if one of those shows up I can see this discussion coming to a screeching hault.
The original Nichia Jupiter equipped LRI Proton would of been almost perfect for my specific needs. Variable output from dim to 60 lumens, two variable output 3mm red LEDs, waterproof and single AA powered? Perfect if I added some heat shrink to the head to prevent the light source from being easily seen, lithium AA for lightness/runtime when worn around the neck on a lanyard.
Peak was out with the first stock AA powered Luxeon and has the AAA version coming soon. When a non-combat person deploys, the trick is to get everything from one vendor for simplicity. Peak is the only one that can provide AAA, AA, CR123A 5mm white, red, green and UV lights. Throw in a Luxeon light with their custom design center built 2AA tailpack to run alkaline/lithium or NiMH rechargables on the same order. Spec out the body, maybe a little stainless steel or brass for flavor...throw in the very useful loc-line clamp/magnet gizmo and be done with one order.
The one order thing becomes very important when your address has an APO typed in.
For the folks that don't need their choice to follow my requirements (be very happy) make your choice between the two and enjoy your purchase. If your requirements parallel mine, get the Peak, a few extra color heads and a loc-line clamp/magnet and don't forget the lithium AAA/AA and NiMH batteries.
As with all flashlight purchases, determine your real needs...throw down the money and let CPF know how well it works for your situation. (oh yeah, buy both!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif to Peak's Color Rendering...

OK ... Here are the Pictures Side by Side.... Let Pictures do the Talking.. All details inside Pictures...
DCP_4935_CS_VS_3LEDHigh_b.jpg

DCP_4936_CS_VS_1LEDUltra_b.jpg

DCP_4937_CS_VS_3LEDUltra_b.jpg

One should Strongly Consider Peak Snow 29 LED's if one wants to know the Color Difference.

Arc May be for Laymen(lumens required to general light up a place), Peak is for Professionals(lumens with Good Color Rendering, where color distinction is a Must).

On a Personal Note: The Blue Color in the Center Beamshot does give me a Headache, so I prefer Snow LED's ...

For Some people, Blue is OK, it might seem brighter too.

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
Considering the amount of pure BULLCRAP passed between Arc and Peak camps, Yes..camps. So sick of everyones political, "independent' review, buy ANYTHING else. Just end it . Please.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ophiuchus said:
Considering the amount of pure BULLCRAP passed between Arc and Peak camps, Yes..camps. So sick of everyones political, 'independent' review, buy ANYTHING else. Just end it . Please.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .. instead of em Buy Both.... Buy THREE of them ...

Buy Peak, Buy Arc & Buy Some thing else (to compare with these 2) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
How many Peak lights does the head rag hold? Camel racer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif