how does paypal work?

spock

Enlightened
not sure if this post belongs in cafe? pp site has no info on how pp works. received e-mail from pp with 1-2 thousand word explanation(useless). if you bid on item, do you call pp so they can send check? do i copy and paste my bid info to the pp site? is there software to start as you bid? i know dozens of people with pc, but no one uses pp. google says you send money by e-mail. i need a technical description of process. thanks, mario

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
pp and ebay are basically the same site, if you win an auction a single click will take you to paypal's site where you can put in your CC or pay with existing funds right away. The pay by email thing is confusing, it just means that if someone sends you money through their site, or you send money to someone they will send you an email telling you that it has happened.

They are just like a bank, but with no tellers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They also want to link your online account to a real bank account. Once you do that you can transfer funds via their website back and forth between the 2. So if you make a lot of money selling stuff via eBay you can transfer the money to your real world account.

Many people, including me, dont really like having Paypal linked in to our daily living accounts and recommend that you open a separate checking account not linked to any of your existing accounts so that if a horrible error were to be made by them they couldn't' clear out your living money.

So, specifically, no, you dont need to send an email or cut and paste the bid info. When you win the auction there is a link to "pay with paypal" and you just click it and it will setup everything else for you.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
So, specifically, no, you dont need to send an email or cut and paste the bid info. When you win the auction there is a link to "pay with paypal" and you just click it and it will setup everything else for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only sometimes true.
Linking your eBay account and your PayPal account is optional.
If you do not have them linked or you use a different e-mail address for each then the seller will have to manually transmit his or her PayPal info to the buyer -- there will be no PayPal link on the auction page.
In that case the buyer will have to cut and paste all of his eBay info into the PayPal website.
Or the seller can send a PayPal "bill" to the buyer which might have some or all of this info already filled out.

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
I think dealing with PP is risky. They aren't governed by the same rules as banks.

Here is one of many news articles that I think everyone who has or is thinking about a PP account should read.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3078504/

There are lots more but I don't want to sound like an alarmist. Just look out for yourselves and your hard earned $$. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2dim

Enlightened
Can I use a credit card to paypal someone?

If it's a USD card issued from a Canadian bank, will that avoid currency exchange charges?

Does it matter whether I have a paypal account to do this?

Could I deposit into my own paypal account from the USD Canadian credit card?

Still need to pay for my Jilite and only paypal is acceptable to Warren...