Dorcy Metal Gear

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Just came back from the local Walmart and was surprised to see a new LED light in their inventory. It's the Dorcy Metal Gear. It's a 1 watt, 3AAA aluminium bodied torch available in grey/silver and black. It's got a very nice white, tight beam and it's built like a tank. I don't know how I ever missed this one, but I like it. The pocket clip is fantastic too. Now, if it were only a 3 watt......

Anyway, here are some pics:
Lights021.jpg

Lights022.jpg

Lights025.jpg

Beeman

Newly Enlightened
I to just got my Dorcy the other day and was very suprised with the quality of it. As Cosmic said it realy is built like a tank. The color of the Star is second to none. The spot was a little "ringy" (ringey?), but I put some Writeright on it and it now it is nice and smooth.

The first thing that popped into my head was 'Can I make it into a 3 watt?' The head screws right off, and the Star is held in by a metal threaded ring that threads into the body. It was realy easy to unscrew, once that is unscrewed than the Star and all of it's component come out.

The Star looks as if there are to prongs holding it on. I don't know if it is epoxied on it yet, (I don't know if it is worth ruining a great flashlight or not to find out), but I think that I will try to get it off later on tonight. If it isn't epoxied on than it should be rather easy to make it into a 3 watt. Just unsolder the negative side off the Star off the heat sink, bend the prongs back and the led should come off. Then just reverse that whole opperation to install the new one.

I am realy hope it will be that easy. It would make a great 3 watt. Even if it doesn't work it still is a great 1 watt.

Beeman

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the forum, Beeman. You will have to replace the entire star, not just the emitter. The emitters are epoxied on the aluminum star. Enjoy your new flashlight!

solarwinds

Newly Enlightened
I really like my Metal Gear.

I wanted to note to other Metal Gear owners that the Dorcy logo on mine already scratched off! It wasn't intentional at first. The "C" in Dorcy just disappeared one day. With my nail, I just scratched off the rest of the letters. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that no one can tell it's a Dorcy flashlight anymore. People looking at mine probably think it's some $100 military flashlight at this point.

Mine is still bright after 3 hours of use. Does anyone have runtime information!!? The high-dome 1-watt luxeon is really nice in any case

Chris

solarwinds

Newly Enlightened
Pardon the newbie question, but referring to Beeman's comment, if you convert the Dorcy Metal Gear into a 3-watt Luxeon (using 3 AAA batteries), isn't it going to have poor battery life? Wouldn't it be necessary to upgrade the battery type as well to 2 AA batteries possibly?

Correct me if I'm wrong --- I'm just assuming 3-watt Luxeon's use more power than 1-watt Luxeons, so 3 AAA batteries won't handle it.

Beeman

Newly Enlightened
I am expecting, (all though not for sure) about a 1 hour runtime, which compared to most bright 3 watts, really isn't 'that' bad.

I was also planning on getting 6 rechargable AAA batteries, and charger, and keep 3 charged at all time. We'll see what happens!!

Beeman

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Lots and lots of talk floating around about this one!

Mine also wears Writeright, has no logo and has perhaps the WHITEST output of ANY light with ANY Lux that I have seen!

I'm also thinking of getting some aaa NimH.

It's a GREAT time to be a flashaholic!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Careful removing the head. Instead of the usual threadlocking compound, they opted to use a silicone adhesive - which will get everywhere when you remove the head.

I'm fairly certain the LED is just dirven direct off the cells with an inline resistor, so changing power to 2xAA will require a driver.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine has a slightly better focus when the head is backed off about 1/3 of a turn from its completely tightened position. I still can't get over what a nice hotspot this thing throws considering how little it cost.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
I think these are going to be my Christmas gift lights this year. I was looking for something in a AA, but these seem pretty unbeatable for the price.

Can anyone compare the Metal Gear to the Dorcy Super 1 Watt mentioned in the linked thread? I mean as far as runtime, construction, and that kind of thing. It's pretty obvious that the Super 1 Watt has superior output.

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ikonomi said:

Can anyone compare the Metal Gear to the Dorcy Super 1 Watt mentioned in the linked thread? I mean as far as runtime, construction, and that kind of thing. It's pretty obvious that the Super 1 Watt has superior output.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr, the metal gear IS the 1 watt.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
attowatt said:
[ QUOTE ]
Ikonomi said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr, the metal gear IS the 1 watt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to ernsanada's post #1042644 - Wed Jul 20 2005 11:24 AM. He talks about another 3xAAA Dorcy light, which is quite different in appearance than the Metal Gear.

Shown in this pic: http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5709/dsc008359mm.jpg

Unless I'm missing something?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ikonomi,

This is a beamshot of the Dorcy Super 1 Watt, on left. Dorcy 1 Watt Metal Gear, on right.

dsc008368av.jpg

Dorcy Super 1 Watt

dsc008329wd.jpg

Dorcy Metal Gears

dsc008269ce.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Ikonomi

Enlightened
ernsanada, thanks, those are the pics I was looking at.

As mentioned in that thread, the Super 1 Watt seems a lot brighter. Any comments about fit and finish compared to the Metal Gear?

I was looking around and found a review of the 3xAAA Super 1 Watt on FlashlightReviews, and it seems that attowatt's runtime test shows the Metal Gear has far superior battery life. I guess that's to be expected with the difference in output. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left, Metal Gear. Right, Super 1 Watt at 100"

dsc008996ay.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

-----------------------------------------------------------

The fit and finish on the Dorcy Super 1 Watt is excellent. It has a shiny finish.

The fit and finish on the Dorcy Metal Gear is also excellent. It has a matte finish.

The Dorcy Super 1 Watt has more side spill than the Metal Gear. The Super 1 Watt does not have that rings in the beam like the Metal Gear has.

The Dorcy Super 1 Watt has a 2 position switch. The first is blinking mode, the second is "on, no blinking".

The Metal gear has a rear reverse clickie.

I found the Dorcy Super 1 Watt at Targer for $24.99 without tax.