My HDS U60 is here!

TorchMan

Enlightened
I ordered this Monday morning from Battery Station, came with free batteries and I ordered some more. Many thanks to Kevin there!!

First impression is wow, it's so small. Turned it on to primary, good for most of my task. Ramped it up to max holding the button down. What a feature, and seems very bright. I've not compared it to my other Luxeon light, T4 yet, but I will. U60 might have a slight blueish tint, I'll see if I can tell, the T4 proved elusive to my eyes, I believe it to be slight blue tint also.

My clip is silver, so it must be one of the old ones. Finish seems tough, good grip but it's not flawless like my T4. There are a few white splotches on it, but in truth I could care less, as long as it doesn't corode. Being that I will be pocket carrying, at least at first, it may get a few more down the road.

I'll check the options and brightness levels later. From looking at the manual and quick start guide, both online and on paper, not sure if it's gonna be simple and user friendly or more complex. Probably going to wind up somewhere in between. It's smarter than I am! I like having all those options though it'll take some gettting used to.

I want to thank all of you on the forum here, in all likely hood this light would not have been known of by me, and certainly not this soon. Yeah I love flashlights!

TorchMan

Enlightened
I've managed to use several of the features now, all suprisingly easy to use. Had it on all four brightness levels, and latched it at maximum. Easy to do, and most of it I did from memory.

I must not know didley squat when it comes to clips, because if this is flimsy, I'd hate to see rugged. I've only had AA minimag clips, but those are what I'd call flimsy, not this one. It's at least a notch above those.

I've still not tried any of the ten click stuff yet, though I could get into both options and brightess from memory. I'd use the manual for options for sure, at least at first and brightness should be a bit easier, since it's step up or down. I'll probably first perform a soft reset when changing batteries. Should be interesting to see how it goes. Only thing I'm wondering about is will it drain the battery in about two weeks if I weren't using it (and oh yes, I will be using it!!) as I believe another member encountered. I don't believe I've "forced" it to remember last setting used when turned on, it's primary. If understood correctly "force" can even be turned off, maybe even having it remember to turn on on primary uses some juice? I don't know.

I can say this - it's real easy to use right away, and has tons of nice options to play with too. The word "ultimate" should have a picture of these next to it in a dictionary, because if it's market hype I'm sold, hook, line and sinker... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Luxman

Enlightened
Congrats!
Seems your as happy with yours as I am with mine!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Don't worry about draining the batteries when leaving it sit for a long time...it draws very little current.

If Forced setting is disabled - the light will remember the last setting used (I use this one).

To use Forced setting (always "force" a specific setting when turn on), you must first disable "Forced" setting then select the setting you want, turn the light off, then enable "Forced" setting again.

I agree, it is the "Ultimate" light...now if HDS comes out with the 100 Lumen version maybe it will be called the "Ultimate Ultimate" Light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Have fun...

TorchMan

Enlightened
LED Museuem,

Thanks for your personal experience with leaving the light sitting unused. I'm guessing, since you did it deliberate, that this was a planned test?

Luxman, I do indeed love this light. If a 100 lumen appears, you can bet that, as it stands now, I'd be on a waiting list for the thing. I'd call it a Christmas present to me, or Labor Day, Halloween, Valentine's day, whatever is closest. But which version of hypothetical (though I believe likely) 100? Basic 100? Basic 100 GT? Basic 100 XR, Ultimate version of same? Or Ultimate 100 XR GT? Yeah, that's the ticket!

I've shined U60 and T4 around the house since dark. T4 is definitely brighter. I expected it to be.

Beams are both pretty tight spots, T4 is ringy on the side spill, U60 is pretty smooth. Overall U60 sidespill is a slightly greater area.

Comparing color of the two makes my T4 look yellow-green, while the U60 looks white with blue, but not as much color as the T4. T4 might have a little better color rendering, but it's not been as easy to tell that as I hoped, even though I put several different colored objects in the area. T4 seems to give more contrast between blue and purple objects, otherwise it seems the same.

Primary, secondary and low settings look pretty white, it steps down nicely. What an incredible amount of light on high, considering the size of the thing is probably smaller in length and width than the Li-Ion in my T4!

I think this has quenched my SureFire U2 desires for now, as I would love a 100 lumen version of this badboy. Especially with a 2 123lithium option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KenBar

Enlightened
Hello. I had and returned the great grandfather of this light... I think. I was hugely pleased with it, but 2 failed. I read the FAQ about the U60 and it said that the battery length problem was fixed. How was it fixed? The reason I ask is I think that was the main source of my problem. I never posted the problems I had with it as Peter was just so nice I hated to. He also replaced and ultimately refunded $$. I have no bad taste except that I REALLY WANTED the light but did not feel that it would last under daily use once I did get one that worked. SO...what am I asking? Please give me some more warm and fuzzies that this is a real improvment on the orignial so I can fork out $150 without buying a case of Rollaids.
ps
Craig..excellent review and cheat sheet for manual

TorchMan

Enlightened
Using this light outdoors, I was able to see quite well both close up and mid distance with the primary setting.

On full brightness it has good throw, the hotspot is pretty tight, close to the T4, and the sidespill is smoother and larger. It's definitely bluish compared to the yellowish looking T4. T4 gives better contrast in foliage, though I'm not sure if it's the color or intensity, or a combo thereof that does it. I looked at some artificial plants in the house and this was also the case.

The U60 definitely warms up to the touch quickly on high, the T4 stayed quite cool, despite running a little longer and the U60 spent some time on lower settings. Of course the T4 has much more body to disipate heat.

U60 is indeed well rounded. It may be as small as Mighty Mouse, but it punches like a light heavyweight, floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
KenBar,

You will have no problems with the HDS EDC due to variations in battery length.

The Arc 4+ which you mention had a mechanically actuated switch located in the head of the light. The battery itself was a part of the switch linkage, and the length of the battery was critical to proper operation.

The HDS EDC light has the full switch mechanism located in the tailcap. The electrical connection for the switch is provided in the form of two loops of coppery looking wire found on either side of the battery compartment. There is no mechanical switch linkage through the battery itself. Any variations in battery length should be accomodated by the spring contact at the bottom of the battery compartment.

I've seen pictures of the inside of the battery compartment around here somewhere. It helps to see a picture of it. Again, I'll say the design works very well. I do not expect to have any problems due to the switch or battery length.

KenBar

Enlightened
Torchman, Can you describe inside. How is the battery snugged up to the contacts. I have read about the contacts, but not how the tension is held to the contacts....unless I missed it. I am really wanting one of these. Also, how easy was it to master the procedure to control it. I am fairly geeky so it would be no problem for me. I was just wondering how easy it was to master?
Thanks!! Kenbar

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
For the HDS owners (42 or 60) (Ultimate or Basic) - does it get uncomfortably hot during prolonged use? (and at which level?)

Crossbar

Newly Enlightened
I just received my EDC basic 42 yesterday. This is the first light I've bought that cost more than $20-30 so you can imagine how blown away I am!

JohnF

Enlightened
<<For the HDS owners (42 or 60) (Ultimate or Basic) - does it get uncomfortably hot during prolonged use?>>

My U60 is pocket carried, so it is a little warm to begin with, but I've never noticed it getting warmer than body temp - but then I rarely use 'high' for more than a few minutes anyway.

I think you'll get to really love some of the options, and once you get used to them, they are easy to change without referring to the 'cheat sheet'.

I usually keep 'forced' mode off, as I prefer to have the light turn on with the last selected brightness setting.

When camping, the 'locater flash' stays turned on for the entire trip - I've not noticed any excessive battery drain in this mode.

I used the 'strobe' function one night while changing a flat tire on the highway - just set the light on top of the car facing backwards. Cars really slowed down to see what was happening...

Play with the options, make sure you understand how to use them so when you need them you don't have to have the 'cheat sheet' with you.

Hope I never have to use the 'SOS' function, but I'm sure glad it is there...

John F

Luxman

Enlightened
KenBar, its easy to master.
I memorized the options by the next day. What helped to memorize them was that someone in another thread noticed that the last 5 options spelled FAAST...and I saw that the first 3 were all "blinking types" (strobe,SOS,Locator)...so it was real easy.
[whoever it was that discovered "FAAST"...Thanks...]
Now, I just run through the options saying them to myself while pressing the button...easy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also NO problems with my light. I have had it about 2 months.

TorchMan,
IMO another really nice option is "Simple Momentary". See if you like this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
It get's warm, but not burn your hand warm. I have used it on high to ceiling bounce light, and ran for 10-15 mins it on a li ion will walk down a level or two (and not whole level's of the basic's setting's, just small enough levels to control the heat, brilliant!) It's a bright, smart, tuff light, that I have had no issues with nor have I seen more then one or two posted, and mostly on the tint though most have bought non GT's like me and been greeted with a very white light. Yes bring on the U-100! VDG

KenBar

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the information.
Thanks Luxman...I got through school with memory hooks!!
I hungrily miss my old Arc and this sounds like what I was originally wanting in the first place.
I look forward to getting it.
What is the difference between the 60GT and the 60XR?
I could not find XR description?
I have not dealt with Battery Station before. Do they have CPF discount? Are they a good company. I usually deal with Texas Tactical or or Bright Guy.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Part # EDC Ultimate 60.......$180.00 (includes a free 10 pack of batteries) In Stock
Part # EDC Ultimate 60GT.......$230.00 (includes a free 10 pack of batteries) In Stock
Part # EDC Ultimate 60XR.......$240.00 (included a free 10 pack of batteries) In Stock

TorchMan

Enlightened
Ken, the XR is an extended runtime version of the Basic or Utltimate. Descriptions can be found at the link below

http://www.hdssystems.com/EdcUltimate.html

I've only dealt with Battery Station one time, but based on that and what I've read, I sure do think they are (a good company)! CPF discount was on batteries, and the EDC series they sell all come with 10 batteries (as you know). Mine had one it already too. I'll definitely try to buy my next light there, if they carry it.

Luxman,

It's nice to be able to have that momentary, and I'll get around to playing with that, but it doesn't really fit my primary use for the light. I need it to stay on. Right now the strobe seems most intriguing to me. It's been a busy, scartterbrained day and on top of that I got some new toys in to further distract me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

LowWorm

Enlightened
TorchMan and Crossbar: Make sure you join the HDS EDC owner list if you haven't already. I think everyone on it gets to hold hands and sing Kumbayah. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

I love my U60, but have been playing way too much with it lately...I can't see myself ever getting bored since there's so much to learn to do with it.

KenBar

Enlightened
LowWorm...thanks for info on list. I am already humming Kumbayah. The EDC Ultimate 60 XR GT will begin shipping next week. I an trying to contact Batery Station and see if he is going to carry it. I think that will be the one I get. I did not see it on their site.

Luxman

Enlightened
TorchMan,
Thats what is nice about "simple Momentary"..you get BOTH momentary AND latch on depending on how long you press the button.
Press and release quickly, and the light latches on..press for over half a second and the light turns off when the button is released.