Hobbies?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
What other hobbies do CPF members have besides flashlights? It seams that we have several knife fans, but what else.

As for me I got into mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, exploring caves and old mines, shooting, volleyball, and probally a whole lot of other stuff that I can't remember.

Any one else have interesting things that they do?
Brandon

LaserFreak

Enlightened
I've just gotten myself into a new hobby (besides writing music, and lasers), it's called Airsoft.

For those of you that haven't heard of this sport, it was originally developed in Japan or China (asia somewhere) because the laws there don't allow people to own real guns, but replica guns are allowed for some reason. The sport is growing here in the US, originally intended for training military and police personnel, then it just grew to the general public.

These guns are usually exact replicas of their "real steel" counterparts, right down to the moving slide on semi-automatic pistols, and magazines, and most rifles (called AEG's) have selectable auto-semi auto action. The guns fire small 6mm plasic bb's and can travel at a rate of 200fps up to and probably beyond 500fps (anything beyond may be illegal in your area, check your local laws regarding Airsoft).

There are several Airsoft clubs throughout the US, that routinely have "skirmishes" on either an official Airsoft/Paintball field, or on private property.

If anybody wants to get into this sport, I urge you to double check with your local law enforcement about the legality in your area. Since Airsoft guns look real (except for the required orange plug at the barrel), they may be mistaken for a real firearm by law enforcement, or citizens. Please be careful.

Luxman

Enlightened
Astronomical viewing, HAM radio, ATVing, Shooting and my newest hobby is Photography.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to race Downhill Bikes and stuff, still got three tuned bikes in my garage, still terrorize the local streets and Santa Cruz mountains on a regular basis when no one is around(cops hand out tickets like party invitations).

Pretty soon I'm expecting to get into regular pistol shooting. I still have one and a half months until I'm 21...

Nick

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Electronics, cycling, computers, model railroading, virtual railroading, thermoelectric modules to name a few interests I've had. I move from hobby to hobby as I get bored. Over here I'm more an LED hobbyist person than a flashlight person.

kaseri

Enlightened
I played on a national competition paintball team for many years & recently retired from that. I am an amateur boxer. I have played guitar for over 20 years. Motorcycle enthusiast & cyclist.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Automotive detailing. www.autopia.org a fellow CPF'er recommended me here and sold me my first CR 123 light.

Airsoft too, but illegal where I live so when I went to Hong Kong I got more than an eye/hand full.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I got way into airsoft with my friends in high school. I got my first one when i was 12 or 13. My brothers and I have gone through 5 or 6 spring pistols. a couple spring rifles. 1 gas pistol and a gas mac 11 (way cool).

my friends have gotten several aeg(big $200+ electric guns) a mp5 sd5 with grenade launcher, laser, flashlight, red dot scope, and a drum magazine. plus others have other mp5s, m4, thomson m1a1, a couple ak47, p90, and ak47 spetsnaz. (all of these are tokyo maurui AEG)

I've played a lot, but I cant have them on campus, so I've been out for a while.

The cops don't like it if you play where there are people nearby(for a good reason), but if some one has lot of land, or out where no one is they dont mind. I have had the cops come when we are playing before.

But you have to be carefull because they do look really real, and if you buy some from vendors outside the US they may not come with red paint on the barrel.

A good site for high end guns is www.redwolfairsoft.com

Topper

Flashaholic*
I used to Box and engaged in full contact Karate every chance I got. I still collect switchblades (mostly Bertrame but others as well)also still buy swords when I can, not sure why I just like em I guess.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I collect used up old insulaters, and have an interest in used up old Commodore computers. I have a CBM 8032 computer (all-in-one machine with a built-in green screen monitor) and an SX-64 (computer, model CBM 1541 disk drive, keyboard, and 5" color monitor in a suitcase-sized case) for starters.
I also have a collection of used up old JVC ghetto blasters - an RC-M71JW (the loudest one anybody made in the early-1980s), an RC-M50JW (a monaural unit with a 10" woofer, 4" midrange, and 1" tweeter), an RC-M80JW (full logic "soft touch" tape transport controls), and several others.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
cars, archery, photography, target shooting, collecting knives, collecting watches, camping/hiking/backpacking, flashlights, computers, bicycling.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
My horses, auto repair and maintenance. Hiking. Sailing (both board & boat), audio, car audio, aviation, model aviaton, large homemade kites; ie a 15ft wingspan. Hang gliding. Leering at women/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif mountain biking. I also seem to have an affinity for drinking beer./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read sci-fi novels online.
flashlights,
computers,
adult entertainment ( multiple girlfriends party) I can't elaborate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Mountain biking

Darkcobra

Enlightened
Currently, I'm into airsoft, shooting and fishing.
Here is a picture of one of my airsoft guns.
XM.jpg

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do stereoscopic (3d) photography, primarily medium format.
Including building 3d cameras from two 2d ones.
See my web page in my profile if you are interested.

Craig, I had an original Commodore Pet (chicklet keys)
when they first came out. I later sold it but still have
the (home) stereo I bought with the money from selling it.
Someday I'll have to upgrade to surround sound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coffee roasting, homebrewing, bread making, playing the piano, piano tuning/repairing/rebuilding, outdoors stuff, music, etc.

unnerv

Enlightened
I am into Airsoft, RC monster trucks, computer modding, and shooting rifles and pistols. Since someone else posted some pics here are a few of my airsoft toys.

m14mount.jpg

M14 modded to be M1A "scout" length with forward mount.

sr16.jpg

My SR16 w/ M203

m11cqbii.jpg

my M11 CQBII

hybrid001.jpg

my 6" WA SVI hybrid

Like was mentioned before, when playing you pretty much need to be on private fields. These look so real the last time my dad came over and picked up my m14 to check out the mount I had made he though I had handed him my real springfield armory M1A. If the cops come you could get into some real trouble. I don't even shoot mine in my back yard so the neighbors don't freak out...then again I live in CA so you have to be extra careful here.