What Was Your First "Favorite" Flashlight?

Luxman

Enlightened
What Was Your First \"Favorite\" Flashlight?

What was yout first "Favorite" flashlight?
Your first one that felt really special to you. It may have even sparked your interest in flashlights.

Mine was my first Surefire, the Centurion. I got it close to when they first came out.
When I first saw that bright, clean, focused beam I was in awe!
Its a MUCH darker green than all of my other Surefires.
Since then I even got another Centurion. I have put an M2 head on the new Centurion but still leave the first one stock...and I still feel its very special every time I pick it up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

0614centurion6001nk.jpg

I was tempted to say Maglite, from many years ago...but it just didn't make me feel like the Centurion did.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Re: What Was Your First \"Favorite\" Flashlight?

That would have to be my very first flashlight, a 2AA Minimag that my Dad gave me about 5 or 6 years ago. I still have it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
He started all of this CPF madness in me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I wouldn't necessarily call it a flashlight but my first favorite light was a 6D 6watt fluorescent/incan/two color blinking light from sears costing $10 over 20 years ago.
It was bright, cheap to use at the time compared to the mostly 6v lantern battery type lights and crummy 2D lights and had a 12dc input. I once used it night fishing and it lit up everything on the boat at once and switched to incan for spotting lines.

Luxman

Enlightened

Lynx_Arc,
I had completely forgotten about those 6V lantern lights.
You just reminded me...I had one of those. I really liked that light back then. Part of the grip would raise to vertical and it had a flashing red light on top. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I don't exactly remember yours, but I do remember one at Sears with a 2 color blinking light.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

My first "favorite", didn't actually belong to me. They belonged to my dad. When I was a kid, he used to keep this 4 or 5 D cell flashlight under his bed. I think its head was 2.5 or 2.75 inches, and it was made of nylon. When my friends would come over I used to like to get it out and show them how bright it was. The other was one of those 6v, box style lanterns. It was all metal with a glass lens. It, too, was also very bright, and I liked to show that one off, as well, always looking for a reaction that showed that they were as impressed as I was.

As far as my own lights, my first "favorite" flashlight was a 5w Nitestar LED torch. I still use more than any other light.

haley1

Enlightened

A one cell Rayovac when I was about 6,1967. The one that started my downward slide into the abyss was a SF 674 issued through work.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Definitely my black 2AA miniMaglite. Got it at a camping store in Colorado back in 92. The store had 2 stories, and I found cheaper-priced miniMags in the lower level. It was love at first site, so to speak. I still have it and use it. In fact, it was the nightlight my wife used at the hospital when our baby was born a year ago.

I thought I should add that when I "met" LED lights, I fell in love with the CMG Infinity Task Light. Yup, the original one, with red LED. It took me exactly 4 years to get one.

On the Lux side, I couldn't resist the Arc LS's. I EDC an LSL-P, and keep a mint LSH-S stashed in a drawer. I'm thinking of having it bead-blasted and modded nicely as a gift for my wife.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got one of those Army anglehead Fulton models years ago, at a True Value of all places. Thing was used so it must have been something somebody left. Was a lot of fun for a kid. The switch eventually broke so I bought a new one. This was way before CPF.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Luxman said:
Lynx_Arc,
I had completely forgotten about those 6V lantern lights.
You just reminded me...I had one of those. I really liked that light back then. Part of the grip would raise to vertical and it had a flashing red light on top. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I don't exactly remember yours, but I do remember one at Sears with a 2 color blinking light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is Orange and black and a flattened 6 sided shape sort of with red/amber blinking lights one side, fluoro on the other and incan on the top and an adjustable strap on one side.

Come to think of it perhaps I will mod it and bring it up to date with LED technology and adapt it for AA nimh also.
Alkaline D cell lights are not my bag any more.

TorchMan

Enlightened

Well, I'm gonna give more than one answer. Sorry.

MiniMag, really nice when I first got mine, long time ago. Next and probably the ONE I'd mention if I could abide by the rules, would be my Tekna Dive light. Smaller and brigher than anything else I'd seen. Battery was expensive and hard to find, and I went through two of the lights, but it was a true pocket EDC.

The Browning Lightning Bug replaced it when it conked. I went through a few of those, three I think over many years. Unusual pager like body invited many questions as to what it was.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have a techna 2N cell light I use to like but the batteries ate my lunch too often so it sits like an orphan. Maybe I will mod it for a lithium ion battery that is 2N size and put an LED in it.

cy

Flashaholic

my first real EDC was LSH-P with twisty. it was given to me, a nice hand me down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif that along with ARC AAA with my first two favorite lights

first edc.JPG

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was an Eveready(?) segmented (3,2,1 cell tube extensions), corrugated steel, 3"+ headed D cell monster. I don't have it anymore so the details are fuzzy but it was my favorite along with a pen light my grandfather gave me.

-LT

Geologist

Enlightened

What about those 5 cell Radi0 Shak flashlights with free batteries? As a kid, If you has enough "battery club cards" you could get the light and the batteries in a week! Great for a kid with no funds! Matter fact, back then, one didn't need so many batteries - I used to surrvive off those old red carbon batteries.

AuroraLite

Enlightened

It would be a black Minimag 2AA almost 20 years ago, and then it was a Mag 6c. I can still remembered the thrill of playing with it's focus and how I wish the hollow in the beam could be eliminated...

Till today, I still have them both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chuck4570

Enlightened

I myself like alot of other CPF's, had many flashlights before that first really favorite one came along. My first favorite flashlight was a Pelican Super Saberlight, (bright and rugged)still have the flashlight, but many other favorites keep coming along, but than again that's what it is all about and it looks like we all have a bright future coming.

Chuck