Paypal -Need your help CPF members

fleegs

Enlightened
Hello everyone. I figured everyone at CPF knows paypal so I thought I would ask.

I am currently in debate with someone about this.

Here is the story- Someone sent me money through paypal for a flashlight. I was charged a fee. I requested more money to cover this fee, since it was stated in my post to send 4% more when using a credit card. The person replied, that they did not use a credit card. And that paypal charges for every transaction when you have a premier account. And that they used the remaining balance in their paypal account and transferred the rest from their bank account.

Is this possible? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for your help,
Rob

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, he's right. If you have an account that accepts credit cards, then you get charged the fee whether or not he used one. Many people have 2 accounts, one for cash and one for credit.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Yep, more wood on the fire! I get charged for every transaction - however, I personally have NEVER asked the buyer for the fee...but that's just "Sigman"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LowWorm

Enlightened
Fleegs, I set up a secondary PayPal account (non-premier) explicitly for non-CC transactions. No fees, and I have two accounts to choose from depending on what kind of transaction I'm involved in.

Hope that helps.

greenLED

Flashaholic
The person you are dealing with is right. I did not read the fees section carefully /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif and had a ball trying to figure out how to receive the right amount of money. I followed the suggestion of a fellow CPF'er and now have a similar setup as LowWorm.

fleegs

Enlightened
Guess that is what I will do. I just learned something really important. Man I would have bet my life that I received some payments without a charge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Thank goodness no one bet me.

Thanks everyone.

Rob

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I get charged fees even though I do not own or use charge cards. My ATM card is linked, and apparently Paypal treats it like a charge card. :/

[/ QUOTE ]

ATM cards (Debit Cards) are secured credit cards, unless you can enter your P.I.N.. It is basically a secured credit card online, as there isn't any way to enter your P.I.N..

DaGunn

Newly Enlightened
If it is a bank ATM card it must be linked to some bank repository of your funds, either a checking or savings account. Link your non-premier paypal account to your checking or savings account and by-pass the pp transaction fees. If you receive entitlements, you have the option of having those funds electronically transferred into a checking or savings account of your choosing. The cost/benefit of doing so is something that you will have to determine based upon any monthly bank maintenance fees/ATM fees incurred versus the number of fee based pp transactions that you engage in per year.

HTH
Dave

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
fleegs said:
Guess that is what I will do. I just learned something really important. Man I would have bet my life that I received some payments without a charge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Thank goodness no one bet me.

Thanks everyone.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be you started out with a personal account and when someone used a credit card after a transaction or two paypal prompted you to upgrade to premium so you could accept it.
I have heard from a few this happened to.