looking for a 1-3W, 1 or 2 AA, 2 stage, tail stand

Weylan

Enlightened
I am looking for small light light the Fenix or Longbow or even q3 sized light. But it must have at least all of the following. I know I am picky, but for me and the person geting the lights, it is important.

1 to 3 Watts but 3W prefered.
1 or 2 AA batterys.
at least a 2 stage switch possible.
The ability to tail stand.

I have used a LionCub and some other people have seen it and are now coveting it. But the price tag and batteries are cost and maintenance prohibitive for non flashaholic type people. So I am looking for a AA nmih based light for runtime. that has 2 levels of light so we don't burn out our eyes doing close up work with dark adapted eyes and we can see a bit further if needed. The 3watts would be nice for the more light it can usually produce. I know the issues with the 1W and 3W debate, that is why I asked for 1W or 3W, ok? I don't care if it is a reverse clicky, I have given up on getting the momentary just like since it seems to be a pain to find. But the light does need to tail stand so we can use it as a candle or a room light if needed. I like the shape of the new Fenix or the Longbow micra, but those are 1 stage lights. I would like to keep the price down since I have to buy at least 3 of these things and at least 2 of them will be gifts, so the price point of $50 is the goal. Can any one help here point me in the right direction? A bright light like this would fill most of my needs for Parents and non-flashaholic sister, because they can handle charging AA nmih cells and they can handle 2 stage lights.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: looking for a 1-3W, 1 or 2 AA, 2 stage, tail s

Maybe a QIII with the custom 2xAA battery tube extender, custom 2 way switch, and the O ring mod in the tail which lets it tail stand. However, it misses the $50 price point as I think all the parts together add up to like $90, and the battery extenders are hard to find.

As always, there are a whole bunch of lights which miss one of your criteria but exceed the others. The Nuwai 317 for example has 2 levels, tail stands, costs under $20, runs on 1xAA, but unfortunately is only 0.5 W (and driven at less than that).

Hope you find one.

lamperich

Enlightened

i Can say one thing with safty

you will NEVER get a Flashlight with only 1-1,5 input Voltage which can Drive a LED @ 700mA

That´s just note usfully because it´s a EXTREM HIGH Current Flashlight.
Don´t calculat in Voltage or mA You have to calculat with Watt! And also don´t forget that electronic never have 100% Efficience.

For the Future i would prefer a Constant Current LED Flashlight powered by one 18650 Liionen Of course with two or 3 Stage Switch.

The Voltage on only one liionen is much closer @ Vf than one or 2 AA/C or D Size Flashlights.

But maybe you modify an Xm-3 with a Mr.Bulk VIP driver :)
Some guys already did this.

Weylan

Enlightened

I realize that 1 AA is pushing it. This is why 2 AA cells would be fine. I just can't give LIPO cells that are hard to come by and tough to charge to a non-flashaholic. I know this person can handle nmih cell charging and that is relativly safe. And they already have tons of AA nmih cells. So all they would have to do is use what they have AND they have a good light that can handle middle of the night reading and hunting for the cat in the bushes in the dark.