Could go for some goooood BBQ right about now.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The food network is killing me! Brisket, Tri-tip, ribs that fall off the bone. Where can a guy in california get some really good bbq? My current favorites are Lucielles and Woodranch, Pampas in the Farmers Market in LA and in NY Virgils (That Pig Out Platter). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

big_guy

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
V8TOYTRUCK said:
Where can a guy in california get some really good bbq?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot of the grill in my back yard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gifI am planning on hosting a get together at my place (Modesto) sometime in the next month or so. You are welcome to attend if you care to drive that far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

The best BBQ I ever had was in Muskogee, Oklahoma. There is/was? an old black gentelman who converted a run down house beside the highway into a makeshift diner simply called, "Slick's BBQ".

Your order was brought out to you on waxed paper in one of those plastic french fry baskets! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
After the first bite, you forgot all about how it was served and started planning your next trip through Muskogee for a quick stop for lunch at Slick's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wanting to try the Woodranch. I know there's one at the Arcadia Mall. Merril Schindler, the food guy on 97.1 mentioned it....said it was pretty good. There's a place in San Dimas called Pinacle Peak. It's pretty good. They don't take reservations though, so you can expect to wait in line for about an hour, no matter what time you get there, as people start arriving an hour before opening.

The L.A. County Fair is comming up pretty soon, and I know they've got some terrific BBQ there. I had the best brisket (brisquet?) sandwich there last year. The guy said they cooked it for 18 hours. That particular BBQ stand was in the back...might have had "corral" in the name.

My co-worker just recently mentioned some place called Joey's in Upland. She said it was on Foothill near Central. She said it was better than Pinacle Peak, but I'd have to see for myself before I believe her. PP is pretty darn good. BTW, don't wear a tie to PP. It's customary for them to cut it off with scissors and hang it on the wall. The walls are filled with all kinds of ties that they've cut. It's has a cowboy type atmosphere. I'd definitely recommend it, but be prepared to order from a very simple menu.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Willing to make your own? "This" makes "better than any restaurant" BBQ IMHO!!! I've tried a lot of BBQ - and my Cookshack Smokette makes the BEST! It's not really "rocket science" either - pretty simple to do!!

Check out the Forum & Recipes at www.cookshack.com as well! I get a lot of great info there!

I REFUSE to buy BBQ out anymore!!!

was_jlh

Enlightened
V8, hop on a plane and fly over to Lexington, NC. Go to Speedy's.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Plenty of good BBQ here in Texas....just don't ask for BBQ Pork!! BBQ Pork is generally unheard of here.

loalight

Enlightened
Memphis Minnie's across the street from me in SF.. Apparently Sunset mag and Gourmet mag (not sure what they know) think it's the West's best. All I know is that it's the best I've had. And I've been to Oakland.

www.memphisminnies.com

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Richmond, VA we used to go to go to Extra Billy's. I always got a combo platter of the brisket and pulled pork. oh man that was good!

Moved away from there 2 years ago though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif haven't found such a good place here yet, but the all you can eat crab legs places are better here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think a smoker is in my future... I've got 2 wonderful briskets in the freezer now waiting to be cooked somehow. I generally just do them in the oven in a roasting pan. Cover with veggies, garlic and some cheap wine and cook at 350 for 4+ hours until it's falling apart. YUM, but smoked for that long they are delicious too!

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could go for some as well. Every time I go to AZ for vacation, I go to a place called Joes BBQ in Gilbert AZ. All home made stuff, including sides like mac and cheese and beans. Great stuff. Then their Home Made Root Beer kicks butt too. Wish I lived there just for that.

Cameron