AmondoTech 5W luxeon vs. SF L4?

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me about the amondotech 5 watt Luxeon.
web page

How do these compare to the L4. I noticed the 3 cell version runs for 3 hours. Would that mean that these run for 2 hours? Is it a spot, or flood? What color tint? Any thoughts on quality?

Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a flood. I don't own it but I've read all I can on this class of light:
OMBU X-55 / Nuwwai TM301X-5 (same)
Likki Lite SL-13 ($75, Advancedmart)
Smartfire 5W clone ($60 from TradeDigit via eBay, $36 from Emilion's Workbench; beamshots shown)
Nightcutter 60L (3 heads for various beam widths, $140)

According to Emilion's site, the Smartfire can use 3.7V lithium-ion rechargeables. This and the already-low price would make it my first choice.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, it's a terrific light. I only own one other 5 watt and it's not the L4 so i can't compare them for you. But the quality seems excellent. Just judging by the nice smooth threading and whatnot.

the light is a flood, but it has a good hotspot in the center. If you've never played with a 5watt luxeon before you'll be really surprised at the light output!

the light color is exactly what you'd expect from a 5 watt. they dont seem to suffer from the luxeon lottery. All those that I've seen have been very similar and area all VERY white, a little cool but not bluish or greenish at all.

I'm only on my second set of batteries with the light, so I haven't done any long term use testing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but I'm very happy with it.

[EDIT] OOPS: sorry, I should have clicked the link first, I actually have THIS one and not the one you're asking about. The one you're looking at looks more like a stretched Q3.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 3 cell version of this light, but it's the earlier, silver model which is called a "Nitestar". I'm not sure if the black one also has the same name. I got it at the end of 2003 and it's seen a lot of use, and drops. I've even accidently throw it before, which resulted in a (very) slightly warped bezel, and it's never failed me. Still works perfectly and puts out a lot of bright, very white light. A very high quality light, although it would be nicer if the lens was easily replaced, as mine is pretty well scratched up. Has anybody replaced the lens on one of these?

Latest posts