3 watt or 5 Luxeon?

vertical vcr?

• Total voters

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a 3 watt or 5 watt more preferable, and why?
I have tried to find a comparison between Nuwaii 5 watt and the SF L4, and haven't had much luck. I am still interested in trying one of these lights, but I have not settled on which one.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
3w... usually gets more throw than a 5w, it has better battery life (depending on how hard it is driven, and on how many cells), and it is smaller, so it'll fit behind optics.

-David

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
K2 - get the throw and voltage requirements of the 3W with the greater output of the 5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Developments like the K2 are one reason I'm focusing my funds on xenon lights for now; they won't get much better or cheaper. LED lights, on the other hand, are improving by leaps and bounds.

balazer

Enlightened
When are K2s expected to become available? I'm trying to decide if I should mod with a Luxeon III or wait for the K2.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo25 said:
Is a 3 watt or 5 watt more preferable, and why?
I have tried to find a comparison between Nuwaii 5 watt and the SF L4, and haven't had much luck. I am still interested in trying one of these lights, but I have not settled on which one.

Nuwai makes A LOT of 5 watt lights from 2 cell cr123a versions to a big 4 C cell version. What model are you referring to?

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Go with a 5 watt variable like the U2. If you need run time, turn it
down. If you need more light and throw, turn it up !

..... :rolleyes:

D

Dae

Generally speaking, dif manufacturers have dif standards, so it's hard to tell. But I think most people prefer 5W, me too! :p

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'l take the the Lux 3, for the tighter spot = better throw and the longer life of the LED. I've seen Lux 5 ratings for 1000 hours. Probably more than I'd ever use a light, but still, 10,000 or more sounds so much better. No donut hole either, although I rarely notice it in real world U2 usage.

Last edited:

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
I like the 5W versions only because there are more flood beam options. I would actually prefer some sort of LS flood beam at a lower intensity with 4+ hours of runtime. Something like an LS version of the X5T. As far as I know, that still doesn't exist.

Since you mentioned the L4 in your original post, take a look at the Nuwai 2x123A Luxeon V (TM-301X-5) review. Comparable beam for a lot less money.