sometimes i hate the south

Status
Not open for further replies.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
mean i rely do the food here is awefull .there isnt know real delis there are still people down here who are racist .its hot i was out today and saw some guys in there 4x4 with there rebel flagss and bumper sticker that said the south will rise again i just smiled to self and said man i hate the south .ok this is a vent i dontt realy hate the south but sometimes i dislike it a lot and the food here is so bad i mean for those who live in the south pizza ya get isnt the best and the lack a real delis is awefull i mean where ya can go and get a sandwich loaded with corned beef like a lb on a freash baked bun a real pickle yummy

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
raggie,
About the 4x4 with the rebel flag:
No disrespect but I would suggest watching the movie Gods and Generals to get just a very small understanding about why exactly the Civil War was fought. Their are many good books but the movie hits on a few of the reasons. Besides one of my best friends is in that movie. Not a big role but they do show him up close a couple of times.
Most of us from the south had ancestors who fought in the Civil War. Some fought for good reasons and some fought for the wrong reasons. I would just suggest being careful labeling anyone with a Rebel flag on their vehicle as racist.
Just food for thought and for the record the only stickers on my vehicle are NRA and Support our Troops.

Edit to add: The south is not the only place you will find racism. Racism exist throughout the whole of the USA and the world.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
nra ill check that movie for sure .i have a open mind but the food still stinks lol

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
... i have a open mind but the food still stinks lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Pizza and Deli's? IMO, the very best are in New York.

I like TooJays Deli chain, they are a little pricy but the sandwiches are pretty decent.

The south has it's own cuisine. You just need time to adjust your taste [to things like Fried Chicken, Corn on the cob, various seafoods like shrimp, crawfish, catfish, etc ...].

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
go eat some fried rice at the chinese place, I think it better than the fried rice you made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

imfrogman

Newly Enlightened
Then by all means, get the hell out.
Anybody who calls someone a racist just because they have a rebel flag on their car is the one with a closed mind.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
nra ill check that movie for sure .i have a open mind but the food still stinks lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Check it out raggie. That movie relays some of the sentiment of the Rebels as well as the Yankees for their reasons for fighting.
If you watch it and see a red headed Rebel with red beard and small round hat defending Fredricksburg that is my friend Michael Thompson /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
HA HA.. that brings me to a story:

In a land far away.. where the heat is unbearable and the humidity is unreal... (Arizona)

My family was on the way to the Grand Canyon and we stopped at a local gas station to fill the tank.(don't want to run out of gas on the deserted roads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) and guess what I saw?

As I walked out of the gas station with a cold beverage (a neccesity) a redneck, by definition, was disembarking from his HUGE truck with his male offspring. Let us name this man: "Billy", let us name the male offspring "Bob".

Billy was wearing some dirty, tattered pear of jeans and an old shirt with a Large sidearm. He appeared to be missing several teeth and I dont know when he took his last shower...

Bob was wearing basically the same thing without the sidearm. He was, however, carrying a box full of little bulldogs. He took the box, dropped it directly next to the door of the gas station and began selling.. I repeat SELLING.. bulldogs to random folk. They were obviously raised for one purpose. ( dog fighting is very popular in the area, however illegal it is )

My uncle and I did the impossible... we approached this person and asked him what he was doing and where he got the dogs from.. " I bred my dogs at ma house and sells them. That'n thar is woth $200 in the valley." My uncle gave him an awkaward look, he owns a bulldog (a particulary tame one), and we walked away to continue our voyage.

-tom

gorlank

Enlightened
Ouch cornkid, the idea of dogfighting makes me ill. I love dogs, my cousin has a bulldog that is the sweetest, gentlest fellow I've seen.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a northern boy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif grew up in Chicago and only moved to the "deep south" in the last few years. I was very pleasantly surprised by the people I meet here.

certainly there are the uneducated and the uncouth and even the deluded and racists, but it's not like you might expect from watching too many movies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And I can't see that it's any worse than Chicago or places North.

People come in all delusions where where you go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But overall I like the folks here, even some flying that other flag as it doesn't always mean to you what it means to them. Freedom of speech also means they are free to insult you, there is no law against being insulted...

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i guess if you're expecting northern quisine in the South, then yeah, you'd be kind of disappointed, but having lived in four distinct parts of the US, New Orleans food is still as good as it gets. And i agree with imfrogman: a flag is hardly cause to label someone racist. But then, few things are easier than jumping to conclusions.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
[ QUOTE ]
Archangel said:
But then, few things are easier than jumping to conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like that!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif Can I use that in my sig line?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
sorry for this post i was mostly jokeing but now i read it i see it came across wrong have a great day everyone once again im sorry please delte this post if ya want

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
LifeNRA said:
I would just suggest being careful labeling anyone with a Rebel flag on their vehicle as racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
imfrogman said:
Anybody who calls someone a racist just because they have a rebel flag on their car is the one with a closed mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Archangel said:
a flag is hardly cause to label someone racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be a good idea to reread Raggie's comments, before promoting the view that he called anyone racists for flying a rebel flag. He did complain of the racism there, but not in the same sentence as his comments about the rebel flag.

I can't say that he counts rebel flags as racism, nor can I say he doesn't. No such connection was written there.

From what I get from his post:
He doesn't like the food in the south.
He doesn't like the racism in the south.
He doesn't like the choice some make in which flag to fly.
He doesn't like the heat.

If you've noted his writing at all, you're aware of his pride in the United States flag. I would imagine his displeasure in the flying of the rebel flag, would be his view that they are choosing it over the U.S. flag.

You may or may not share his views. But, it would be better if your reasons to differ are based on what he wrote.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Most of the food down South is way too salty for my tast. I have lived here a long time I am most likely a Redneck by many people's veiw point and that is fine by me. The rebel flag is veiwed by many I meen MANY even here in the South as a racist symbol. I fly OLD GLORY I do not get overly worked up when I see a full size pick up with big tires flying the Reb flag nor do I think every bald person is a racist Skin head but some are. Yep we got some here no joke.
Raggie, just put some hot sauce on every thing cept maybe icecream and it will be good eats. My grandparents lived and died in Jonesboro most likely I will to I love the South
but I understand that there are issues here as elsewhere I guess.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mckevin

Enlightened
Ahh, the Deli may be rare (or nonexistent) in the south, but by the same token there is no place in New York that you can get a pit cooked pulled pork sandwich (cheap white bread please) with home made slaw (O.K., I've never even been to New York, correct me if I'm wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).
Now look what you made me do. I have to go home & light the cooker...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Raggie, if you ever have the opportunity to visit NY then head out for Long Island. Lots of all-night greek delis with the largest selections I've ever seen in a restaurant. Good food, good prices. I pulled some late-night shifts working there and often wound up at one of those places. Yum.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's not how Raggie meant it - which apparently it isn't - than my bad. It certainly seemed to be implied though. (smirk) Just as i didn't actually *write* that he did consider it racist, though i strongly implied it. And no, i don't have a clue who Raggie is to be aware of his pride in the US flag. I was going through the recent posts and i noticed the title. Seeing as how on a good day i connect at 24k - currently at 16.8 - i'm pretty selective in what i read.

And yeah, Roy - go right ahead. There's more where that came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.