FM antenna - Powered vs. passive (not powered)

JOshooter

Enlightened
I'm having trouble picking up several stations below the 100 Megahertz frequency, my college radio station is very weak, the only way I can pick it up is with a shortwave radio with an external antenna attached to it - even then it has static. I currently have a "T" shaped antenna that I'm using, I've tried some rabbit ears, my next attempt is either a small square passive FM antenna or a powered antenna.

I'm looking at the Terk - FM Indoor Antenna and the Terk - Amplified AM/FM Indoor Antenna

For a visual here's a link. They are the third and fourth down respectively.

Any thoughts/experience with a passive vs. an amplified or powered antenna? Any models you would suggest? I'm not looking for the most expensive one, I'd like a reasonablely priced antenna.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would try something simple like attaching a wire to your current telescoping antenna and see if that helps. Unless the amplified antenna works better (without the amplifier on), chances are you may end up amplifying as much garbage (noise) as you will amplify pure signal. A lot depends on if there is strong stations elsewhere on the FM dial too.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Some of the passive antennas are both directional and tuned. That helps get rid of interferance. I understand the C. Crane is a pretty good one.

I'm thinking that I need an external antenna to improve my reception. The RF noise from the household computers plus a steel roof cuts the signal way down.

Daniel

JOshooter

Enlightened
If you connected a wire to your roof, you could have a HUGE antenna, but be sure to disconnect it when a lightning storm comes through your area.