Just received Nuwai Q-III

John_R

Newly Enlightened
I heard some good things about the Q3 and thought the price was reasonable so I bought one. Well, I just received it and I am impressed. The machining and finish is flawless as far as I can tell, with no rough edges or imperfections. It is very light weight and small, allowing for it to be easily tossed into a briefcase or pocket. (The nylon pouch is handly too, serving to further protect the "lens".)

The beam is definitely impressive....pure white without any artifacts. It is also a nice transition to the hotspot to a wide flood that can be used in most day to day tasks where you might need a flashlight (looking for a lost item, scanning the path ahead while walking at night).

I would also consider this light to be of "tactical" caliber, due to its scalloped lens ring and its briliant beam, which would clearly illuminate and temporarily blind any assailant.

Overall, a great buy for the money. Any similar, or contrary, thought out there?

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the fold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's a great light! I enjoyed it while I had it - mine was very white. I didn't like the pentagonal shape to the edge of the corona though. But like you say, the the amount of light and the beam quality is outstanding, especially given the price.

I guess if you were looking to use the light long term, you would need a new holster. The scalloped bezel is a great touch (lets you know if you've accidentally left it on) and stops accidental finger touches and stuff like that.

I don't think the Q3 would be 'tactical' because it's not durable/bright enough. I wouldn't be blinded by the q3. The threshold is generally considered to be 60 lumens for dark adapted vision - that's in total dark. The q3 only gives about 20 lumens out the front. The SF p61 LA (120 lumens) is about the beginning of what I would call 'blinding'. YMMV though. I can't see it standing up to huge crushes.

But I would be more than happy to rely on the q3 on a day to day basis, for walking at night, around the house etc. I would throw one in my briefcase just in case I needed one if I didn't already have too many light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Donovan

Enlightened
I agree it probably isn't "tactical" in the proper sense but I find the Q3 quite "blinding"! For some reason LEDs to me are much more irritating than incans...

Whatever you want to call it, the Q3 is a great little LED light!

Marc

Newly Enlightened
One easy 'mod' is to use R123, you won't believe how bright this thing is with rechargeables. Get's pretty hot too.

Luxman

Enlightened
Great little light !
Yes...and yes....and yes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So mine would not be too lonely, I got the 2x123 2 light level TM-301X-3...looks the same but a little longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
AdamThirnis said:
I have one of these - it's great.

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

alberto

Enlightened
I agree with the others. This is a great little light, especially with the R123. Of my many lights, this is a favorite. It has never disappointed me. Yes, I am a flashaholic......

John_R

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great comments. I would also like to explore various mods for this light but am unsure about which ones. Can someone recommend some Q3 mods that would be relatively easy to start with? I like the idea of multiple brightness levels.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easiest is to get a dual switch and replace it with the stock switch. You will also need a resistor for the low brightness.

Newly Enlightened
I recieved my Q3 about a week ago. I initially thought I saw some green in the beam. After comparisons with my other Luxeon I lights I think the color just has less blue/purple.

Anyway, I love the beam pattern and the size of this little light. I too dropped in a RCR123 li-ion (protected) cell and an impressed with the increased light output. The light does get quite warm in a short time. Does anyone have experience of failure or "thermal runaway" problems associated with the use of rechargables in this light? I also have used the cells in my Inova TO-3 but havent noticed temperature rise in a short time.