Whats the latest and greatest AA maglite LED?

LEDmaglite

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I'm not new to LED's or high end flashlights. I use to post every now and then on CPF, but have not posted for sometime now. It's been so long I forgot my old username and password. I have also changed ISP's and email address anyway so I guess I will start freash on CPF again.

I bought a couple LED drop-ins for the AA maglites from The Sandwich Shoppe a few years ago and I love them. They are still working great today.

The problem is I only have two of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have looked at there site and I see some new items there.

I have also done a litte searching and see others are also making the same type of drop-ins or LED replacement bulbs for the AA maglite.

Is the Sandwich Shoppe drop-in still the best or is there another I should try?

Using AA batteries I don't really care to much about runtime, so I would like something that is very white and very bright.

Please help me get up to speed on what is all out there now.

Thanks,

greenLED

Flashaholic
It kinda depends on how much you want to spend.

The Shoppe has the new "NexGen" sammies that are sort of replacing the BadBoys (current regulated). The advantage is that the NexGen's run cooler (and I think a bit longer, but I may be wrong). For very bright and very white, I think this is the way to go.

The TerraLux Ministar is another drop-in. Huge improvement over the stock bulb, but some people have problems with the ringy beam. They've just recently switched to high dome Lux in their drop-ins, so the beam issues might be fixed.

Those two are the ones I have experience with. There are also InReTech's pills, and Lambda's Mini-Pro pill that I hear are worth checking out too (I haven't).

Finally, you *must* read AuroraLite's Dummy reference guide to minimag modding; it is the absolute encyclopedia on miniMag modding.

Welcome back to CPF! Check out the CPF Specials thread when you get a chance.