gas price has gone through the roof !!

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone changed their daily habits to cope with rise in gas prices at the pump? I use the car only when it is necessary; and I alsow avoid using AC. The just fill up gas today at price $0.99/ litre. Holly molly !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

JOshooter

Enlightened
Wow, ~$3.75 a gallon, It's been hovering below the $2.50 a gallon mark in Alaska lately.

That's ~$.66 a liter for those of you who use the metric system

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ride my bike to work often. Not really a change - I do it anyways for the exercise.

I've never noticed a MPG difference by turning on/off the AC in either of our cars, one has a 3L V6, the other a 2.4L I-4. Mileage goes down in the winter, so driving in cold weather is worse than using the A/C in the summer.

We live near a store and blockbusters, so we don't drive to get some basic groceries, or rent movies - so that helps.

With our driving habits, we never fill up either car more than once per month.

There's a new electric scooter that's supposed to be coming next year - I've thought about getting one more than once (and possibly replacing one vehicle with it) - it's been mentioned in the EV/Alt fuel vehicle thread.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
at this rate, i am seriously considering looking into biodiesel. i really dont' know anything about it, but from what little i do know it at least seems worth looking into. i know a few people around cpf do it...

Darell

Flashaholic
Ain't it GRAND!? I drove by a Chevron station in SF this afternoon. $3.15 for *regular!* $3.35 for premium.

I came home, plugged in, and tried not to grin.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I haven't changed my habits. I filled up my tank sometime last month since I had a 200 mile trip planned. The trip went well, and used 1/3 of the 11.5 gallon tank. hmmmm. 55 MPG on that trip.

I bought a Prius Hybrid a few years ago in anticipation of commuting into Silicon Valley. That never happened, but I enjoy the car anyway.

It does pain me to put $20 into the tank. Last time I bothered to look, premium was $2.87.

Daniel

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just reged there.
Got a lot of reading to do there now.
They have no UG, but thier hall of flames forum is quite a sight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have hardly changed my habits when driving. I would rather pay more, and be comfortable than sweat. Anyone who lives in Texas, knows you cant go without A/C. Sucks a lot that gas prices are so high, but oh well, unfortunatly we are going to have to get over it. Their will never be mass colaboration big enough to together, not buy gas and attempt to bring the price down(and no, I do not work for an oil company(you know all those emails that have said DONT BUY GAS SUCH DATE)). Once gasoline is a thing of the past, which is a while from now yet, we then will able to be happy for some time. But I already can imagine that oil companies are looking to buy all patents towards fuel cells and what not so they can then price it all over again...it will never end I bet.

Cameron

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JOshooter said:
Wow, ~$3.75 a gallon, It's been hovering below the $2.50 a gallon mark in Alaska lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ok, I'm working $1.66 a liter... yes, add the $1 in front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

gasprice.jpg

The pic is outdated, I would go and take a new one but I fear the sight may be too much for me to stand.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
$0.80 a litre at the base here in Turkey ($3.16 a gallon) On the economy, it ranges from 2 to 2.5 YTL per litre (1.37 YTL = $1) or $1.46 to $1.82 a litre. $6 to $7 a gallon would explain why small cars, motorcycles and scooters are so popular.

I ride my recumbent bicycle to work and my wife takes the Schwinn S600 fully suspended electric scooter. On the base, the speed limit is generally 15 MPH and the 25 MPH zones have bike paths beside them. Needless to say, the fastest way to get around were I live is on a bicycle (or electric scooter) on a bike path.

I also have a electrically assisted mountain bike. The 7-speed internal hub is assisted by a 1HP peak electric motor (user selectable 50% to 400% assist) By law the assist kicks out at 20MPH but is easily over riden by moving the sensor so it will get up to 28 MPH. It is presently down for a new master link for the chain so I wait on the mail.

I have been riding my recumbent to work for the last 4 years so the cost of gas does not impact me much. My wife's car was a 2.2 litre 4 banger so while friends complained filling their SUVs, it did not bother us much.

When I move back to the states in two years (permanently) the electrically assisted bike will be pressed into service if I am more than 8 miles from work. Thinking of a Accord wagon for my wife and kids and hope the price of gas does not exceed $3.50 a gallon.

One thing I do expect to see in 2007 is a lot less SUVs clogging the roads. The law of supply and demand should take care of that.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
[ QUOTE ]
JOshooter said:

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ok, I'm working $1.66 a liter... yes, add the $1 in front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

gasprice.jpg

The pic is outdated, I would go and take a new one but I fear the sight may be too much for me to stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey kevin, the US price $.66 cent/liter is cheap man. gas price in canada is over a buck/liter.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well other countries have had sky high gas prizes for years due to taxes. The result less cars, smaller cars, more efficient cars.
I think it's time for the US to make that change as well, even though it hurts.
Even with this gas prizes in the US are dirt cheap. Try Europe or Japan.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said: Thinking of a Accord wagon for my wife and kids and hope the price of gas does not exceed $3.50 a gallon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously consider an Accord Hybrid powertrain on that. I honestly think that the hybrids are the best thing since sliced bread. Sorry to **** off all the EV/biodiesel folks here by mentioning something as 'primitive' as a hybrid that can't be charged from a power socket, but remember, we're working to get these into the hands of mainstream folks who don't see anything except their MPG, and that's already an achievement if they do watch MPG. Fear the sheeple for they may yet trample thee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but then again if a 50% more fuel efficient vehicle can be sold in droves to the masses, that would already change things beyond imagination.

dim

Enlightened
I only pay about $1.25 per gallon....Oh, wait...thats for WATER!! - WTF!!!

dim

Darell

Flashaholic
Quite true on the hybrids. The problem is that the latest batch of hybrids to come out are doing less and less fuel saving and more and more power increasing. Using electric drive to boost performance can increase power or mileage... or half of each, etc. The Lexus RX is an example of a vehicle that'll use the electric drive to boost HP only - in practice it gets the same or worse mileage than the standard gas version. So just being a hybrid doesn't count for green points unless it is used for increasing mileage - as in the Civic and Prius.

My crystal ball says that "primitive hybrids that can't be charged from the power socket" are soon going to be quaint reminders of the past. At least that's what I keep trying to beat into my crystal ball. There are some chips in it now.